How to open under sink of a mixer faucet?

Ct3833

Hi, I am trying to replace my  kitchen sink mixer tap(faucet) , first is i need to be able to unscrew the hexagon nut before i could complete the replacement process till eventually tighten the hexagon nut again. 

The problem is the hexagon nut is very big, not the normal cold water faucet nut that i can use the normal sleeve wrench to open it. Any clue would  be appreciated.

post-84721-0-04962600-1552317034_thumb.jpg

post-84721-0-05282300-1552317289.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

You'll need a pipe wrench of the correct size. That, you have to find a way to measure or just try different sizes.

The longer wrench may be useful. Mustafa sells them.

They come with a hole for you to insert a rod to tighten/loosen.

The hex end can also be used for tightening/loosening.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

i used a regular medium sized adjustable spanner when i replaced my taps ... although not much space to turn, but i just need to loosen it enough for my to turn it with my fingers.

• Praise 1

Go buy this, plumber tool

Thanks, I have this but not enough space, the gap behind the sink is too deep and too narrow, plus unable to grip properly as well.

You'll need a pipe wrench of the correct size. That, you have to find a way to measure or just try different sizes.

The longer wrench may be useful. Mustafa sells them.

They come with a hole for you to insert a rod to tighten/loosen.

The hex end can also be used for tightening/loosening.

Thank you. I have a one foot pipe wrench , it fits cold water tap but too small for mixer type, I will go Mustafa to take a look.

Hi, I am trying to replace my  kitchen sink mixer tap(faucet) , first is i need to be able to unscrew the hexagon nut before i could complete the replacement process till eventually tighten the hexagon nut again. 

The problem is the hexagon nut is very big, not the normal cold water faucet nut that i can use the normal sleeve wrench to open it. Any clue would  be appreciated.

I know your problem.

You need a longer reach piece. AND make sure it fits. Else u may end up rounding the mixer .

The other way is to get a long screw driver that is suitable to clear the working space. Insert it into the hole to twist it.

Mine was really bad till I had to borrow a torque driver to drive out the nut.

• Praise 2

(edited)

Now I know who arethe DIY folks in MCF, THAIYOTAKAMLI, Kb27, Ysc3 and sdf4786k.

Thanks to all of you.

Edited by Ct3833

Get one side bigger "Sleeve wrench". You can find them at those traditional or hardware shop doing basin/plumbing not those homefix in shopping mall.

Jalan besar you can find them.

Alternately try use rubberband (not condom) to go round the edge in loop. See whether can get any grip to lossen the nut.

• Praise 1

Everyone so helpful here but everyone miss out the important question!

Is it a gold plated tap or gold coloured tap? Your toilet bowl gold plated as well?

• Praise 1

(edited)

Get one side bigger "Sleeve wrench". You can find them at those traditional or hardware shop doing basin/plumbing not those homefix in shopping mall.

Jalan besar you can find them.

Alternately try use rubberband (not condom) to go round the edge in loop. See whether can get any grip to lossen the nut.

Thanks. My hand could not reach the nut because the sink is quite deep and the gap is very small. The previous owner installed the coffee shop style sink. Anyway I will look for suitable wrench now that I have so many valuable feedback from the bros here. Thanks all. Edited by Ct3833

Thanks. My hand could not reach the nut because the sink is quite deep and the gap is very small. I dont know why the previous owner install the coffee shop style sink. Anyway I will look for suitable wrench now that I have so many valuable feedback from the bros here. Thanks all.

Coffee shop style sink and you want to replace with gold plated tap!

You are hilarious like Mustank. Testing distill water on steam iron. And now you...a gold plated tap on coffee shop style sink!

Can't stop laughing...sorry

Bring along your gold plated tap to those traditional hardware shop. They should be able to help you.

Edited by Kopites

Coffee shop style sink and you want to replace with gold plated tap!

You are hilarious like Mustank. Testing distill water on steam iron. And now you...a gold plated tap on coffee shop style sink!

Can't stop laughing...sorry

Bring along your gold plated tap to those traditional hardware shop. They should be able to help you.

Haha please dont laugh. Not gold tap but I am just taking a sample photo from internet. It is a sink in the wet kitchen or back yard, so it is like kopi shop style lah.

Last resort when nothing to lose. Use a hammer to tap the old faucet on the tip clockwise while holding/blocking the nut below. This will sufficiently loosen till can finger unscrew.

I had to do this to replace a faucet that was leaking, and the hexagon nut below was corroded. I could not get any grip using wrench and the rust had acted as glue. Hammering from top had the effect of unscrewing from bottom. 

Suggest to get the adjustable basin wrench as shown in earlier post.

Had one at home. Got it at a traditonal hardware shop.

Seldom used as dont change water tap often. But very handy when needed.

Dont have to twist back, twist neck, hand to change water tap. [rolleyes]

↡ Advertisement