Sleep Paralysis

Ender

I use to have this frequently as a young man. Initially scare the shit out of me. Some times can hear heavy breathing beside me.

https://www.healthxchange.sg/wellness/sleeping-disorders/sleep-paralysis-causes

Sleep Paralysis: Causes​

Causes of sleep paralysis identified by the Department of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine ​& Sleep Disorders Unit at Singapore General Hospital.​
Approximately ​6 - 7 percent of the population in Singapore have experienced sleep paralysis.​​​

While some experience it once or twice in their lifetime, others may experience it regularly. The frightening condition, marked by breathlessness as well as the inability to move, scream or open your eyes while awake in bed, has been described across cultures worldwide.

For example, in China, it is called "gui ya shen" (ghost pressing on body). Similarly, in Malay, the phenomenon is known as “kena tindih” (being held down). In Mexico, it is referred to as "dead person on you". In Medieval times, folks believed they were being attacked ​by a succubus or incubus, a type of demon appearing in dreams.

“Knowing what triggers sleep paralysis and understanding how our sleep cycle works can reframe the experience and melt away the fear and terror associated with it,” says Dr Ong Thun How, Senior Consultant at the Department of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine​ and Director of the Sleep Disorders UnitSingapore General Hospital (SGH), a member of the SingHealth​ group.

What can trigger sleep paralysis

Although supernatural beliefs can intensify the terror felt during a sleep paralysis episode, they do not necessarily trigger it. The following factors, however, may increase your likelihood of experiencing sleep paralysis:

• Mental distress
  • Lack of sleep or irregular sleeping hours​
  • Being a teenager or young adult
  • Sudden lifestyle change or variation in sleeping hours (due to jetlag for instance)
  • Use of drugs or certain medications to combat migraines and anxiety disorders
  • Other sleep disorders including narcolepsy and obstructive sleep apnoea*
How does sleep paralysis happen?​

To understand how sleep paralysis happens, you first have to learn a bit more about the sleep cycle.

The four stages of sleep in a sleep cycle

The average person goes through 4 to 5 complete cycles of sleep per night. Each cycle has four stages - 1, 2, 3 and rapid eye movement (REM). At stage 1, the brain’s sensory input begins to shut down but you may still recall sounds and sensations from your surroundings. At stage 2, your body starts to relax more and at stage 3, you are in deep sleep.

During the REM stage, your brain suddenly becomes very active, which gives you the ability to recollect vivid dreams. At the same time, almost all of your muscles are ultra-relaxed. This state of relaxation, called hibernation, prevents you from acting out your dream scenario (and unwittingly harming your bed partner).

An overlap between REM and waking stages of sleep

Sleep paralysis happens when there is an overlap between the REM and light stages of sleep. This means that your mind wakes up before the REM stage is complete. As such, you experience the inability to move or shout as well as breathlessness, and even panic. For some people, this feels like a hallucination.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

- too deep sleep, neck "twisted resulting in bad air flow;

- too much fat. Tongue collapse at rear blocking windpipe;

- bad dream;

- poor sleep posture/too high pillow;

- air too dry resulting in great discomfort around throat and tongue areas.

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 3

Haha...oh dear. Experienced it twice both during young adulthood stage.

Once at home and another time in a taipei hotel. Tot kena ghost attack cos "saw" or sensed a big shadow darker than the dark room.

Actually eyes could not open, cannot move and cannot breathe.

My method both times were to recite psalms 23 over and over in my mind till i relaxed and continued sleeping.

Only my room mates with me for Taiwan trip asked me next morning why i was struggling and mumbling in my sleep. That time, told them i think room was haunted and all fell silent. Haha

Thankfully did not experience this again since then. Not asking for a repeat. Scared the night out of me. I believe i shared this b4 under the haunted hotel thread. A bro did suggest that what i experienced was akin to this.

Just sharing. Of course, its a mixed feeling of sorts but i am happy to go with something scientific. But psalms 23 is deeply etched in my mind to be used anytime. Esp the part, "though i walk thru the valley of death, i shall not fear....."

Safe ride

Cheers

• Praise 5

U2 bedfellows / brokeback Mountain huh??

Ah BanCoe, I get the funny feeling you like sandwich.

I am currently in hospital with a broken back but no mountain outside the window

• Praise 1

U2 bedfellows / brokeback Mountain huh??

the only bed he deserves to be in is this one

sydney-coffins-genesis-mahogany-coffin.j

• Praise 4

chey.. and I thot all those people who go off at 3pm to the kopitiam and come back to the office at 5pm pretending to work were suffering from sleep paralysis. 

Can get a bigger one, you know you have been putting on weight recently, how to fit two of us .....

so cosy cosy .....

you bring heater or I bring

sydney-coffins-genesis-mahogany-coffin.j

• Praise 1

....yeah ...is a black shadow that pound on you as you r in your sleep...have experience it a few times when young....try to scream very loud but nothing comes out from the mouth...its quite scary though...was advice(by mum) to put metal spoon or fork  beneath my pillow....sounds funny but it works...hahaha

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1