Road trip in Taiwan from Taichung to Taipei 2019

Adrianli

I love chilli hunter since we visited Yi Lan in end of 2016, found their main shop there and they don't have shop in other part of Taiwan, not even in supermarket. For last 2 trips that i went back last May and Jan this year, i have to place order before my trip and for them to courier to the hotel i stayed in Taipei, Taichung respectively, my favorite is the beef spice paste sauce, good to go with porridge and noodle.

attachicon.gifrps20190319_105910.jpg

attachicon.gifrps20190319_111115.jpg

attachicon.gifrps20190319_111131.jpg

attachicon.gifrps20190319_111058.jpg

and i believe this was the one you tried and bought.

attachicon.gifrps20190319_111229.jpg

No leh. It was this one :

post-2654-0-01317800-1552966686_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement

So your Sun Moon Lake only day trip without staying there overnight. That will be very rush and tiring.

Ya, day trip only. No rush for us at all. That is all we wanted to see.

So your Sun Moon Lake only day trip without staying there overnight. That will be very rush and tiring.

sun moon lake become quite commericalised, i remember i was there in 1998 before the earthquake and the temple was still the old one, the surrounding and very quiet and peaceful, there was not many places to eat or the night market. We spent a night there and stroll around the place after dinner, more 乡土 feel then.

I find driving in taipei can be stressful with many scooters and drivers are quite aggressive there. Japan best, maybe korea better than taiwan.

And taiwan mountain road dangerous, narrow and often landslide. I went once but with tour group in van. Bus cant go through as 2 lane road became left 1 due to landslide.

I find driving in taipei can be stressful with many scooters and drivers are quite aggressive there. Japan best, maybe korea better than taiwan.

And taiwan mountain road dangerous, narrow and often landslide. I went once but with tour group in van. Bus cant go through as 2 lane road became left 1 due to landslide.

The good thing is the scooters are not allowed on the freeway. So no need to worry about them. But then the car becomes the smallest vehicle on the freeway.

Yup, having driven on the mountain road, i can say it is pretty dangerous. Especially if you do it at night cos no street lamps at all. One wrong turn and bye bye liao. So i tried to clear the mountain bu daylight.

• Praise 1

The Wish is spacious enough to accommodate the five of us plus all five of our luggages with the rear seats flattened. Road noise can be heard but surprisingly, not much wind noise. For me, not used to the seating position, more upright seating. Suspension was soft and comfortable, body rolls in turns so have to significantly slow down in corners. Although it is 2.0L engine, it is adequate for moving around. But if looking at mid-torque, travelling at 80km/h and pedal to the metal to move ahead for overtaking, it seriously lack of power. I tried to overtake a cement mixer up the mountain and it struggles to overtake it. Other than that, I would say it is a comfort, bread and butter MPV. No frills kind of car. FC was decent, around 10-11km/L.

Taiwan looks very much improved from the last time we visited, 10 years ago. Food is still yummy at most places. Service was pretty good. But I donât get the want to return to visit feeling. [:/] Just enjoyed the cooling weather there. I only bought a pair of shoes there, nothing else. The other stuff are all food gifts to giveaway.

Thank you for reading this thread. [wave]

The pagodas at the temple at 日月潭 really very strong wind. Think cos its near the Ridge.

The good thing is the scooters are not allowed on the freeway. So no need to worry about them. But then the car becomes the smallest vehicle on the freeway.

Yup, having driven on the mountain road, i can say it is pretty dangerous. Especially if you do it at night cos no street lamps at all. One wrong turn and bye bye liao. So i tried to clear the mountain bu daylight.

Yes their bus and trucks drive like 2Fast2Furious

And their mountain road need experienced driver and its better to drive during daytime as some turn doesnt have barrier or warning.

Screenshots from my Google Maps timeline.

Day 3 driving

attachicon.gifTaiwan Day 3.jpg

Still wondering is it feasible to take the route from Hualien to Taichung until I saw your driving map. Based on Google maps, they actually recommend to go one big round to Taipei and then come down Taichung.

Anything to look out for if one wish to drive from Hualien to Taichung via route from Taroko National Park.

Thanks in advance.

Still wondering is it feasible to take the route from Hualien to Taichung until I saw your driving map. Based on Google maps, they actually recommend to go one big round to Taipei and then come down Taichung.

Anything to look out for if one wish to drive from Hualien to Taichung via route from Taroko National Park.

Thanks in advance.

Mountain road, speed limit to 30 to 40km/h only. Drive during daylight hours only. Look out for oncoming traffic as both ways share one road. Turn on headlights.

No rush driving. You can be stuck behind a slow vehicle for quite some time. Some Taiwanese drivers are quite skilful and wana overtake u, just give way. Let them lead the way.

Safe driving.

Mountain road, speed limit to 30 to 40km/h only. Drive during daylight hours only. Look out for oncoming traffic as both ways share one road. Turn on headlights.

No rush driving. You can be stuck behind a slow vehicle for quite some time. Some Taiwanese drivers are quite skilful and wana overtake u, just give way. Let them lead the way.

Safe driving.

also take note that there were some small quake lately, the road might be closed.

Thanks in advance.

....for my experience with the PHV, if you have not driven in Taiwan before or Left hand, if can, try not to drive on this route.....its really a big challenge and you have to be very alert all the time...imo

....for my experience with the PHV, if you have not driven in Taiwan before or Left hand, if can, try not to drive on this route.....its really a big challenge and you have to be very alert all the time...imo

Actually not that scary lah. My fren who never drive in left hand drive country before just completed my same route yesterday. Yes, he drove from Taichung to Hualien thru the mountains. He drove a Vios. He messaged me after he reached Hualien that he has done it.

Have confidence in ourselves.

• Praise 3

Actually not that scary lah. My fren who never drive in left hand drive country before just completed my same route yesterday. Yes, he drove from Taichung to Hualien thru the mountains. He drove a Vios. He messaged me after he reached Hualien that he has done it.

Fully agreed that it is not that difficult. 

More concern if there is any road closure. Will be also driving a Vios for the coming road trip.

No matter how experience one is with driving in overseas routes, it is always good to be cautious when driving in a foreign country.

Thanks all for the kind advices.

Edited by Incom
  • Praise 1

yup. Last time I drove in Taiwan was in a RHD landrover defender [sly]  [lipsrsealed]

and it was stick shift [laugh]

steering was vague to say the least

pedals felt like binary (on-off)

[laugh]

• Praise 1