Watch Part V

Carbon82

Just now, Jujitsuka said:

huh 5 digit GMT sold for USD 30K??? so nowadays 5 digits is considered vintage liao?

NOS and II dial which is “rare”

crap shit lah.

stooooopid idiots lah

3 hours ago, Jujitsuka said:

Wonder how much a authentic Rolex "Blueberry" GMT will go for in such auctions?

Depends on 

3 main things in the following order

1. who it belonged to

2. the overall condition and authenticity

3. papers / history and provenance

Edited by Throttle2

Nowadays a lot of experts but all hearsay type orread online type 

Not like the rreal ones who got see Touch Feel Wear Repair Own Many many before

Hai, Click Click And Become ExPert liao

Muayhahaha

1 hour ago, Throttle2 said:

Nowadays a lot of experts but all hearsay type orread online type 

Not like the rreal ones who got see Touch Feel Wear Repair Own Many many before

Hai, Click Click And Become ExPert liao

Muayhahaha

So did Rolex ever produce a blue bezel insert for the GMT 1675, produced between 1959 and 1980?

And how old were you then, to have Seen Touch Feel Wear Repair Own one before?

Man, you must be ancient!

Off topic a little, what do you think of the suggestion that the "blue bezel insert" was merely a patina'ed black insert?

And there are dealers/watchmakers who claim to possess an entire tray of blue bezel inserts previously procured from Rolex.. what do you think of that? Hogwash or plausible? How does one authenticate an aluminium bezel insert?

Edited by Viceroymenthol

6 hours ago, Viceroymenthol said:

So did Rolex ever produce a blue bezel insert for the GMT 1675, produced between 1959 and 1980?

And how old were you then, to have Seen Touch Feel Wear Repair Own one before?

Man, you must be ancient!

Off topic a little, what do you think of the suggestion that the "blue bezel insert" was merely a patina'ed black insert?

And there are dealers/watchmakers who claim to possess an entire tray of blue bezel inserts previously procured from Rolex.. what do you think of that? Hogwash or plausible? How does one authenticate an aluminium bezel insert?

Why so defensive? Open you heart and mind and learn lah.

i authenticate all my Rolexes myself and i would say that even RSC techs know little when it comes to vintage.

they just follow pics, they are only trained to repair movements and unless they have been around for a long time to expose themselves to vintage Rolexes with the right kind of passion, Anda true interest, would they be qualified.  

Not many vintage Rolexes get serviced at Rolex for reasons, we all know.

that said, on the blueberry insert i stand on the side of the believers. Rolex distributed parts to all Rooex registered watch techs around the world in the good old days.

as it is,  I have the skills and knowledge to identify a real or fake bezel in general all the Subs from the late 60s to early 2000s And all the GMts from the late 60s to the early 2000s

this skill include the ability and knowledge to correctly period match them with just a look.   My knowledge extends beyond inserts into cases, crowns, etc...

how do i do that? Do i need to be born in the 50s ? Absolutely not.   One just requires a decent amount of logic and common sense applied together with a good understanding of the evolution of Rolex design. 

Lastly but probably most importantly, one needs to have handled , worked on, inspected, worn, owned many many of these watches over a long period . Not just a few years.  

I would admit however, that no one can completely master the entire knowledge and therefore constant reminders and discussions with likeminded collectors plus discerning reading is required.

as you so said correctly Vintage Rolex is not everybodys game.

i have help many people in the local community avoid a bad purchase and i do have a fair decent reputation for that.  

Let me share more

if you have played with hundreds of inserts before, vintage Black inserts do not patina into vibrant blue, they patina into brown and greyish blue or grey. 

Not only that, the font and dye used in different eras bring about distinctive color changes on specific models. 

For example the fuchsia GMT insert is and has to be a red back insert. Becos the red dye WILL turn into magenta and then fuchsia over a long long time.  I have seen and studied , owned enough of this bezels over the last 15 - 20yrs

another example, do you know that rolex hands specifically from the 90s  do not patina the same shade as the dial?? Many dealers or owners swap them for a match as it would fetch higher.  How do i know besides owning some of these watches from day one until today? Please read earlier paragraphs.

understand this also, prior to the last 20yrs or so, Rolex parts were not made 100% in house and therefore the different manufacturers used different formulas for their tritium, likewise the dye for the inserts were differently formulated etc...

taking another example, since i have owned DoZens of Seadwellers and Submariners 16660, 16600, 16800, 16610 from the early 80s to the mid 90s.  An interesting fact is that the tritium used in the pearl of the insert for Those dive watches from the early 80s to the late 80s will almost always turn a much darker shade than the dial or hands.  

I stop here and rest my case, which is that one must do enough reading, but a paper general is no general on the battlefield. 

A surgeon can never call himself a surgeon unless he has operated on enough lives. Surely you can understand that. 

Those who do not have the skills and knowledge rely on provenance through documentation, which is good and adds credibility but the watch is the watch, not the paper.

I hardly give long replies like this, but in this case it is needed to explain simple basics to noobs on Vintage Rolex.  

If you test me on AP or P0, i would be the Noob. And i am not afraid to admit it.  

So there.

• Praise 8

1 hour ago, Viceroymenthol said:

Looks like I'd touched a sore nerve there but thanks for sharing! :D

Yes discerning is the word, in seeing, touching, reading and listening...

All part of guiding the juniors. 😄

Not as many as some really amazing friends i have, but guess the street value of bezel inserts i own here

specially took them out just now for this picture dedicated to you @Viceroymenthol

Muayhahhh

image.jpg

Edited by Throttle2
  • Praise 2

37 minutes ago, Viceroymenthol said:

Street value... LOL

In this industry, it's all about who's the bigger con man

Got crazy seller got crazy buyer lor.

thats why, i dont really sell till people really ask. And i only sell to certain people not everyone anyone.

they are my precious toys.  I dont relate it as an industry, i am not a dealer.

next time you want to buy, can look for me, *wink*  i will consider

muayhahahahahahahahah

Edited by Throttle2

26 minutes ago, Throttle2 said:

Got crazy seller got crazy buyer lor.

thats why, i dont really sell till people really ask. And i only sell to certain people not everyone anyone.

they are my precious toys.  I dont relate it as an industry, i am not a dealer.

next time you want to buy, can look for me, *wink*  i will consider

muayhahahahahahahahah

On second thoughts, you @Viceroymenthol will NEVER touch vintage Rolex one lah, too low class for you.  Best to Leave this shit to us ghetto dogs, thanks

Edited by Throttle2

18 minutes ago, Throttle2 said:

On second thoughts, you @Viceroymenthol will NEVER touch vintage Rolex one lah, too low class for you.  Best to Leave this shit to us ghetto dogs, thanks

I gong gong one...this kind of thing I dare not touch.. let other people be your guinea pig ba.. LOL 

I avoided using the word carrot cos I think you still have *some* integrity. Note: not much, but some. LOL muayhahahahhaha

Edited by Viceroymenthol
  • Haha! 1

16 minutes ago, Viceroymenthol said:

I gong gong one...this kind of thing I dare not touch.. let other people be your guinea pig ba.. LOL 

I avoided using the word carrot cos I think you still have *some* integrity. Note: not much, but some. LOL muayhahahahhaha

Thank you thank you on behalf of all my fellow collectors.

↡ Advertisement