Watch Part V

Carbon82

19 hours ago, Throttle2 said:

Why so defensive? Open you heart and mind and learn lah.

i authenticate all my Rolexes myself and i would say that even RSC techs know little when it comes to vintage.

they just follow pics, they are only trained to repair movements and unless they have been around for a long time to expose themselves to vintage Rolexes with the right kind of passion, Anda true interest, would they be qualified.  

Not many vintage Rolexes get serviced at Rolex for reasons, we all know.

that said, on the blueberry insert i stand on the side of the believers. Rolex distributed parts to all Rooex registered watch techs around the world in the good old days.

as it is,  I have the skills and knowledge to identify a real or fake bezel in general all the Subs from the late 60s to early 2000s And all the GMts from the late 60s to the early 2000s

this skill include the ability and knowledge to correctly period match them with just a look.   My knowledge extends beyond inserts into cases, crowns, etc...

how do i do that? Do i need to be born in the 50s ? Absolutely not.   One just requires a decent amount of logic and common sense applied together with a good understanding of the evolution of Rolex design. 

Lastly but probably most importantly, one needs to have handled , worked on, inspected, worn, owned many many of these watches over a long period . Not just a few years.  

I would admit however, that no one can completely master the entire knowledge and therefore constant reminders and discussions with likeminded collectors plus discerning reading is required.

as you so said correctly Vintage Rolex is not everybodys game.

i have help many people in the local community avoid a bad purchase and i do have a fair decent reputation for that.  

Let me share more

if you have played with hundreds of inserts before, vintage Black inserts do not patina into vibrant blue, they patina into brown and greyish blue or grey. 

Not only that, the font and dye used in different eras bring about distinctive color changes on specific models. 

For example the fuchsia GMT insert is and has to be a red back insert. Becos the red dye WILL turn into magenta and then fuchsia over a long long time.  I have seen and studied , owned enough of this bezels over the last 15 - 20yrs

another example, do you know that rolex hands specifically from the 90s  do not patina the same shade as the dial?? Many dealers or owners swap them for a match as it would fetch higher.  How do i know besides owning some of these watches from day one until today? Please read earlier paragraphs.

understand this also, prior to the last 20yrs or so, Rolex parts were not made 100% in house and therefore the different manufacturers used different formulas for their tritium, likewise the dye for the inserts were differently formulated etc...

taking another example, since i have owned DoZens of Seadwellers and Submariners 16660, 16600, 16800, 16610 from the early 80s to the mid 90s.  An interesting fact is that the tritium used in the pearl of the insert for Those dive watches from the early 80s to the late 80s will almost always turn a much darker shade than the dial or hands.  

I stop here and rest my case, which is that one must do enough reading, but a paper general is no general on the battlefield. 

A surgeon can never call himself a surgeon unless he has operated on enough lives. Surely you can understand that. 

Those who do not have the skills and knowledge rely on provenance through documentation, which is good and adds credibility but the watch is the watch, not the paper.

I hardly give long replies like this, but in this case it is needed to explain simple basics to noobs on Vintage Rolex.  

If you test me on AP or P0, i would be the Noob. And i am not afraid to admit it.  

So there.

you sounded very familiar 

ownself say ownself master

honestly, I apologize, your reply is a joke, you claim to be better than the technician or  manufacturer of watch

the fact that the specific technician may not know but they got a library reference (people including documented references)

if not how eg does the auction house gets their information 

furthermore, you are just over glorifying vintage watch as a part of the scheme to sell more vintage watch

a true collector don't push so hard to sell even on a car forum

a serious collector selling would sell at a respectable watch forum

only indirect conclusion: con artist at work (not all the time but likely most of the time), its easier to sell those blur blocks and those whose ego needed to be stroked, you building a perception for those who can't wait to show they have arrived by making the ware (you call vintage) atas, then justify by saying you buy because you appreciate the vintage.... everything you say, like that you win

a true collector would not put down another form of collection because different stroke for different people, the way you condemn new watches and keep elevating vintage, shows a very unsophisticated salesman at work

My sifu once told me, if someone tells you he is the best or knows better than the people who manufacture the item (not those selling pasar malam watches), obviously think too highly of themselves and more than not make more mistakes than realized

I must give it to you, you really try very hard to hard sell

you must be one of those who believe there is a sucker born into this world every minute

Edited by Ash2017
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6
  • Haha! 1

16 minutes ago, Ash2017 said:

you sounded very familiar 

ownself say ownself master

honestly, I apologize, your reply is a joke, you claim to be better than the technician or  manufacturer of watch

the fact that the specific technician may not know but they got a library reference (people including documented references)

if not how eg does the auction house gets their information 

furthermore, you are just over glorifying vintage watch as a part of the scheme to sell more vintage watch

a true collector don't push so hard to sell even on a car forum

a serious collector selling would sell at a respectable watch forum

only indirect conclusion: con artist at work (not all the time but likely most of the time), its easier to sell those blur blocks and those whose ego needed to be stroked, you building a perception for those who can't wait to show they have arrived by making the ware (you call vintage) atas, then justify by saying you buy because you appreciate the vintage.... everything you say, like that you win

a true collector would not put down another form of collection because different stroke for different people, the way you condemn new watches and keep elevating vintage, shows a very unsophisticated salesman at work

My sifu once told me, if someone tells you he is the best or knows better than the people who manufacture the item (not those selling pasar malam watches), obviously think too highly of themselves and more than not make more mistakes than realized

I must give it to you, you really try very hard to hard sell

you must be one of those who believe there is a sucker born into this world every minute

Are u and viceroymenthol trying to remove the mask of T2? 🤪

• Praise 1

23 minutes ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

a forum needs a balance

when you go overboard someone needs to step in

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

Guys, it is one of the "agreed to disagree" situations, so we stop here and move on. This is one of the topics I visit all the time and I want it to continue as ever.

• Praise 2

4 minutes ago, Theoldjaffa said:

This is how ridiculous Rolex prices have become.

taken last week in Kobe at a grey dealer for a 16710 Pepsi

About S$34.7k minimum. Siao!

06DA71B2-AE3F-408A-B9A9-D8ACA8B51B36.jpeg

Absolutely, the premium is so stooopid.  

Becos of a “rare” II dial.  Just like the earlier one posted by viceroy

Some middle eastern dealer (s) will probably try to sweep to corner the market.  

We see such phenomenon in the property market and other markets too. (Read: Stock market) Heehee

3 hours ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

No lah, viceroy is just doing what he has always been doing with me.  But we know how to conclude matters as matured old time forumers.

the other one is simply a worm, who knows shit becos he burrows in it .

• Haha! 1

13 minutes ago, Viceroymenthol said:

Believers are gonna cum loads! Woohoo

Tsk tsk tsk.

Understand this, young Jedi

Believers are not the same as those who actually spent stupid money.  As already pointed out more than a few times.

if the price is stoopid dont buy even genuine  Eg. New  pepsi, hulk, batman. Stupid II dial GMTs.  I have said so, many many many times already. When will you learn?

Again, i only trust myself, also mentioned earlier and i wont buy a blueberry insert if it wasnt fat font, regardless of whoeever the seller will be.

Thin font insert on vintage watch? Where got nice? Stupid ah?noob ah?

Lastly i dont have the correct period gmt1675 to use a blueberry insert, and i was never fascinated by it. You on the other hand seemed ao marveled by all these.  I prefer my fuchsia anytime.

Anyway I can see, as best i have tried to educate and share, the conversation is not longer worthy of continuation here on due to the longstanding attitude and prejudice you have.  So lets end it.

Edited by Throttle2

7 hours ago, Throttle2 said:

No lah, viceroy is just doing what he has always been doing with me.  But we know how to conclude matters as matured old time forumers.

the other one is simply a worm, who knows shit becos he burrows in it .

another very similar pattern

rule and divide your audience

• Praise 3

9 hours ago, Throttle2 said:

Tsk tsk tsk.

Believers are not the same as those who actually spent stupid money.  As already pointed out more than a few times.

if the price is stoopid dont buy even genuine  Eg. New  pepsi, hulk, batman. Stupid II dial GMTs.  I have said so, many many many times already. When will you learn?

Again, i only trust myself, also mentioned earlier and i wont buy a blueberry insert if it wasnt fat font, regardless of whoeever the seller will be.

Lastly i dont have the correct period gmt1675 to use a blueberry insert, and i was never fascinated by it. You on the other hand seemed ao marveled by all these.  I prefer my fuchsia anytime.

Anyway I can see, as best i have tried to educate and share, the conversation is not longer worthy of continuation here on due to the longstanding attitude and prejudice you have.  So lets end it.

walau 

another pattern spotted

cannot convince or bribe with you and me are on the same side, then go for the kill

standard pattern

I am always fascinated with human behavior: nothing personal really, trust me, 

I am fascinated with you because you desperately want to project you have more than have had arrived, your cigars, your trips, your cars, your watches, your financial acumen

where does all these lead to: trying to sell watch all the time

even when you were warn by moderators not to pedal your wares here, on and off you still advertise your product for sale here

hence, I amateurishly conclude either you are trying your luck to con or just basically greed 

very typical of your kind I had observed and dealt with all these years

I am very sure in real life, you may have many superficial friends but far and few in between real friends

be like us, we are roaches, and the leader is non other than the ......... hint guy drives a BMW and also filthy rich but don't go shooting his mouth about his wealth

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 3

10 hours ago, Throttle2 said:

Tsk tsk tsk.

Earlier you posted this

"No lah, viceroy is just doing what he has always been doing with me.  But we know how to conclude matters as matured old time forumers. "

Suddenly what happened.

Inconsistency is a typical trademark of prata king

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Arogab said:

To each his own, I call myself this one as my Vintage as it accompany me for nearly 30 years liao😁

IMG_20190913_173219.jpg

Swee, 79090 from early 90s

👍

4 hours ago, Ash2017 said:

walau 

another pattern spotted

cannot convince or bribe with you and me are on the same side, then go for the kill

standard pattern

I am always fascinated with human behavior: nothing personal really, trust me, 

I am fascinated with you because you desperately want to project you have more than have had arrived, your cigars, your trips, your cars, your watches, your financial acumen

where does all these lead to: trying to sell watch all the time

even when you were warn by moderators not to pedal your wares here, on and off you still advertise your product for sale here

hence, I amateurishly conclude either you are trying your luck to con or just basically greed 

very typical of your kind I had observed and dealt with all these years

I am very sure in real life, you may have many superficial friends but far and few in between real friends

be like us, we are roaches, and the leader is non other than the ......... hint guy drives a BMW and also filthy rich but don't go shooting his mouth about his wealth

Who is this BMW guy ah?

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Throttle2 said:

👍

Love at first sight and still wearing it once in a while with all my others in the box.

Although even with the latest models, I will be keeping this for maybe another 20 years if I still around.

1 hour ago, Throttle2 said:

👍

Love at first sight and still wearing it once in a while with all my others in the box.

Although even with the latest models, I will be keeping this for maybe another 20 years if I still around.

↡ Advertisement