Watch Part V

Carbon82

They shrunk the Datejust II from a true 41mm to the Datejust41 which is a false 41mm. Datejust41 is actually 39.2mm.

The nomenclature is purely for marketing purposes and has nothing to do with the true diameter of the watch at all. Same for the Daytona (38.5mm) and new Sub41 (40.5mm)

Photo koped from TRF.

zsbXRMk.jpg

Edited by Viceroymenthol
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

1 hour ago, Atachi said:

Agreed. Belong to the group that thinks Exp 1 should be 36mm classic proportion. Lately hearing news even the current 39mm Explorer may suffer the same fate as the OPs and will no longer be offered in 39mm.

Everything is going upsize..

The new Sub is now 41mm making my decision to get a Blue/Black bay even easier.

Rolex is Rolex, very conservative, and they lag the general trend by about 10 years. It is as if they follow some 5 to 10 year masterplan to the T and unable to deviate from the planning. But they are Rolex, and they definitely have the clout to do that.

It wasn't until 2008 that they started to make "big" watches to join the trend, when Royal Oak Offshore, Nautilus 3700 and Panerai were already forging the big watch trend pre-2000.

And now, with every watchmaker downsizing their models to catch the retro and vintage trend of smaller sizes, as well as to appeal to the hugely lucrative Chinese market, Rolex is going the other way.

But like I said, they are Rolex and they can do whatever they want right now and people will still pay obscene premiums to get their watches on their wrists.  Life is short and people don't want to wait.

Btw the Black Bay 58 in both OG and Blue are nice watches in a nice size, thinner profile, but they aren't Rolexes at the end of the day.

On 9/19/2020 at 8:39 AM, Weez911 said:

Shag. Whole life working on weekend.

20200919_083857.thumb.jpg.c128fb83fe8e3985465c5e44b62865d6.jpg

Appreciate the weekend work by staring what is on the wrist!🤣

• Haha! 1

35 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

First thing at work is to post on MCF👍
la kopi next? 😆

La kopi at 7am, then saw the sky becoming very dark around 730, so quickly drive to work. 😅

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Throttle2 said:

Wah say this one goreng until $150k or not by now?

I just checked C24, it is about 140k on average. If apply 20% haircut will be around 110k bah. 

• Shocked 1

12 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

Launch price was...?

$50k? Maybe? Anything more is 🤦‍♂really, for what it is.

Just like all the SS Rolex sports USD10k is correct for what it is. 

Edited by Throttle2
  • Shocked 1

12 minutes ago, Throttle2 said:

$50k? Maybe? Anything more is 🤦‍♂really, for what it is.

Just like all the SS Rolex sports USD10k is correct for what it is. 

Almost thrice...🤪

SS Rolex Sports is so sought after... I wonder why 

1 hour ago, mersaylee said:

Almost thrice...🤪

SS Rolex Sports is so sought after... I wonder why 

Artificially engineered partly by the grey market dealers ( aided by Rolex's distribution model 😄)
but rolexes are truly dependable watches generally.  And easy to work on.  And the price is still within grasp of your man in the street (it is a man in the street watch anyway) 

in a self fulfilling way, liquidity of a Rolex is almost as high as gold itself which feeds the demand. 

So every young upstart working in CBD or elsewhere wants to sport one on his/her wrist.   And with most young upstarts, they want the latest model to show off to their fellow upstarts.  

of course, the demand for "luxury" goods have also gone up with the high money supply.   

i personally bought 3 solid gold Rolexes within the last 30days too .🤣

• Praise 5