Watch Part V

Carbon82

1 hour ago, Vegas said:

think there are 4 rolex only boutiques in SG. all run by Distys

ADs management will never allow selling above list. but the young hungry sales pple can form a group of 10 to 20 pax, every watch allocate to this grp. in no time, all these watches will be in other countries. Current grey market watches typically inter-continent. intra countries getting less and less.

was at knightsbride thg a few weeks ago, many small grp of youngsters just walk in and ask for PP Nautilus, Aquanaut, Rolex profession. openly declare they can pay premium separately...

No wonder I am always asked to put my name on waitlist, I never offer to pay above RRP. 

↡ Advertisement

14 minutes ago, RH1667 said:

No wonder I am always asked to put my name on waitlist, I never offer to pay above RRP. 

Even if you offer, if they dont know you, they wont.  Becos they also dont want to kena bao toh and lose their jobs.  ADs also lose their distributorship.  

Watch Palace is one of the most heavily stocked pure Rolex boutique

Kee Hing Hung is the other

Cortina got biggest Rolex dedicated boutique in Marina

Hour Glass has Rolex and other brands side by side.

Emperor and Tai HongHung lost their distributorship and many other small ones.

in the 80s to 90s,  there were many small Rolex distributors, now those all gone.

• Praise 3

Turbocharged
37 minutes ago, Throttle2 said:

Even if you offer, if they dont know you, they wont.  Becos they also dont want to kena bao toh and lose their jobs.  ADs also lose their distributorship.  

in the 80s to 90s,  there were many small Rolex distributors, now those all gone.

hour glass rolex boutique is ion

Turbocharged
56 minutes ago, RH1667 said:

u cant offer in the boutique lah...

must be so social event blah blah etc

anyway now u want in demand model, likely need go for package deal

in the end same or higher price as grey dealer

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Throttle2 said:

(sorry, edited wrongly, will try to make another post later)

Edited by Turboflat4

3 hours ago, Throttle2 said:

Messed up the earlier post, so will just summarise. My dad and I had no difficulties with a first time purchase (first time for me, lol, but he'd never been to that particular outlet before) of two subs at Ion - I with my very basic 114060 no date and my dad with an 116613LN.

We went to the only dealer that said they had the no date sub I was looking at. My dad just bought his as an impulse buy.

Edited by Turboflat4

41 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

Messed up the earlier post, so will just summarise. My dad and I had no difficulties with a first time purchase (first time for me, lol, but he'd never been to that particular outlet before) of two subs at Ion - I with my very basic 114060 no date and my dad with an 116613LN.

We went to the only dealer that said they had the no date sub I was looking at. My dad just bought his as an impulse buy.

Wow 

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Turboflat4 said:

From the top of my head.....In most recent times, Between 2015 to 2018, not too much of a problem for walk in.  Especially for standard and unpopular models like 114060 & 116613LN most ADs had and will display stocks. 

in 2019 to 2020, prices move quite a bit and stocks started to become “rare” as speculators poured in

between around 2012 to 2015, even steel daytonas were available at only a $3-4k premium from msrp. And many sports models were displayed and available.

so you bought during good times.  Today you try, it would be different.

As recent as Dec2019, Cortina offered me Daydate40 Olive dial at retail $50k but i didnt buy. Then i went to rolex boutique in Ginza, they also offered retail, after tax rebate and currency conversion $45k .  I also didnt buy.  Today the same watch not available in any AD locally.and grey mkt is $55k 

my friend very lucky , got pepsi steel for retail early this year.  Got hulk at retail, last year.  Basically walk in.  A big slap on the faces of those who paid a huge premium.

Edited by Throttle2
  • Praise 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Throttle2 said:

From the top of my head.....In most recent times, Between 2015 to 2018, not too much of a problem for walk in.  Especially for standard models like 114060, most ADs had and will display stocks. 

in 2019 to 2020, prices move quite a bit and stocks started to become “rare” as speculators poured in

between around 2012 to 2015, even steel daytonas were available at only a $3-4k premium from msrp. And many sports models were displayed and available.

As recent as Dec2019, Cortina offered me Daydate40 Olive dial at retail $50k but i didnt buy. Then i went to rolex boutique in Ginza, they also offered retail, after tax rebate and currency conversion $45k .  I also didnt buy.  Today the same watch not available in any AD locally.and grey mkt is $55k 

my friend very lucky , got pepsi steel for retail early this year.  Got hulk at retail, last year.  Basically walk in.  A big slap on the faces of those who paid a huge premium.

Thanks for the brief "history lesson". Of course you wouldn't take a watch just because it's offered at RRP, if you don't actually like the model. Same with me. We're keepers, not flippers. 

I've never actually sold a watch of any sort myself. Nor will I. I wear them forever until spoil lol. 

Same with my dad. He has some great vintage ones.

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 2

35 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

Thanks for the brief "history lesson". Of course you wouldn't take a watch just because it's offered at RRP, if you don't actually like the model. Same with me. We're keepers, not flippers. 

I've never actually sold a watch of any sort myself. Nor will I. I wear them forever until spoil lol. 

Same with my dad. He has some great vintage ones.

Never doubt you or your dad on that.

it so happens that those are less popular models, not saying that you went in to buy them becos they were at retail.

Another unpopular one is Yachtmaster.  

Generally before this crazy run up in early 2020, all two tone models were not popular.  Then after the run up, every freaking sports model and all steel models even 36mm become damn popular.

basically the work of dealers and flippers not real rolex fans

one of my fave is the 14060 sub no date, tritium one.  I had a few. Today i still have one, but broke the bracelet link and pass to my wife as one of her beaters.   

Edited by Throttle2
  • Praise 1

1 hour ago, Throttle2 said:

From the top of my head.....In most recent times, Between 2015 to 2018, not too much of a problem for walk in.  Especially for standard and unpopular models like 114060 & 116613LN most ADs had and will display stocks. 

Yup, I hope the days when genuine buyer can get the model they like without all the hassle and waiting will be here again. 

• Praise 1

On 10/24/2020 at 12:58 PM, Porker said:

Anyone knows a good Rolex sales person? Please PM me. I'm helping a friend get on waitlist for a GMT Master. Thanks.

On 10/24/2020 at 1:22 PM, Porker said:

Mai suan siao lah boss. We're all new to Rolex. He's interested in a root beer. Can introduce?

Bro, maybe you did not follow earlier discussion. We talked about if you wanna drink root beer, go into the shop, they might not offer you. You need to be drinking others like sprite, marinda, kikapoo or even liang teh before those AD will offer you the root beer or GMT lah. 

Like I always say, my Chinese counter parts always ask me help but many other brands and last year they got me a YM40, Root Beer earlier this year and an Daytona which was taken by my boss's brother

Good luck and just to AD and get to know them first lah

• Praise 2

15 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

All my watches including Rolex were bought from AD and price is according to RP posted on website.

• Praise 1

24 minutes ago, vectra73 said:

All my watches including Rolex were bought from AD and price is according to RP posted on website.

When did you buy them?

several of my Rolexes including an all solid gold GMT master 2 116718 was bought at 20% discount off msrp. 

Today its different.  

Previously For other lessers brands like Omega, Tag, discounts can even go up to 30%.  Even certain Pateks go for a discount.     

Now with the flipping demand overall for all watches, i guess the dealers dont hv to fight for business so much through the form of discounts.

Edited by Throttle2

20 hours ago, Throttle2 said:

I thot Emperor still have the AD in Wisma Atria - i just bought from them a few weeks ago...[;)]. Unless they lost it and not gotten it back...

40 minutes ago, Spidey10 said:

I thot Emperor still have the AD in Wisma Atria - i just bought from them a few weeks ago...[;)]. Unless they lost it and not gotten it back...

Dont know leh, things change. But you get my drift anyway

• Praise 1

On 10/6/2020 at 5:15 PM, Vegas said:

This one is nice... except the price 😡

12E7AE2D-43C0-4D17-B7EA-06A8801C0FBF.jpeg

Just registered my name on this :  )

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1