Watch Part V

Carbon82

Turbocharged
12 hours ago, RH1667 said:

Today I nearly embarrassed myself at HG Taka 😅.

saw the PP 5524 on the display window ( I had no idea about this model previously) looks nice, and have the 2 time zone function I like. Almost wanted to go in and try on, but wife wanted to have lunch first. During lunch, checked the PP website and realize the retail price also very “ nice “ 😂 

heng ah, did not anyhow went in and said I want to try . 

Try is free. No need to be embaressed 😬

• Haha! 2

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2021 at 7:42 PM, Weez911 said:

Too many crowns already lor. 1 on top, 1 below, 1 on crown, 1 in rehaut. 

Plus the Rolex wording on the dial and many more in the rehaut.

not forgetting the laser engraved.....like pple dunno you wearing lolex...[laugh]

• Haha! 2

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2021 at 8:12 PM, Ltk said:

Just saw it from some forum, no wounder AD yeaterday told me many brands are playing the similar  games, it going to be tough for new comer :  (

I post here it’s opinion. It tells everything just replace Patek with Rolex

Originally Posted by mwireless
Here is where you are wrong my friend. Patek has directly engineered the hype and will not let up because they are directly benefiting from it. AP and Rolex are following suit. Let me explain how and why.

Patek most certainly benefits from this hype and is also profiting directly way more than any gray market dealer ever could. If a 5711 is listed for 30k but the market price is 100k , there is a 70k difference right? Gray market dealers may grab some pieces at 80-90k and sell them for 95-100k making about 10-15k. They aren't grabbing them at 30k because nobody is stupid enough to sell them at 30k.

But the list is 30k right? Well in order for you to get one at list you need to spend 200k-300k and the Authorized dealers are telling you, Hey if you buy an annual calendar or calatrava or a watch for your wife or whatever other watch, you will have a better chance of getting your grail and instead of blowing 70k in the aftermarket atleast with us you will get something else for it. Most people buy into this and spend on other watches and guess who directly benefits 100% on that spread? Patek Philippe. In fact you end up spending probably wayyyy more than just that 70k difference.

While this wasn't the case even 5 years ago, it is the case today. What changed? Well PP began to incorporate the Hermes style of selling, It's coming down from the head of the company. This is the marketing technique that Hermes uses to sell Birkins... You need high dollar purchase history to be offered the chance to buy a Birkin bag. If you aren't familiar with this then it's hard to explain how well it works because it has been working for the better part of 50 years.

Also, Rolex and AP have basically kicked out any AD's that were discounting their watches in the past 2-3 years and have tightened up their supply as well. 3 Years ago if you wanted a royal oak chrono u could walk in and get one with a 10-15% discount. Now it's a 3 year waitlist. Walk into your rolex boutique and tell me you don't see empty watch showcases. All manipulation coming from the brand.

Did the whole world suddenly start buying watches like they were going to run out? Yes and No. Demand is certainly up but supply has been tightened as well. Why you ask? Why not just sell as many watches as possible? Well that's what they used to do and they had to discount watches. But you know what works better than discounting watches? Telling the buyer he can't have the watch he wants. The minute you tell someone you CAN'T get this, guess what happens. They do whatever it takes to get it. It's the cool club effect. Everyone wants to get into the club with the line outside that's hard to get into. Exclusivity sells.

So while you think gray market dealers are making off with 70k on these deals through some sort of price run up they are orchestrating the real game is being played by PP, AP and Rolex by tightening supply. Your next question should be well if they're tightening supply aren't they selling less watches? No, in fact they are selling more watches because they have tightened supply on only their best selling timepieces and in order to get them you need to buy their other watches which raises the brand awareness.

Why did the offshore take off and then popularity die off? It was limited in the beginning and then Too easily accessible. This is why TS discontinued the 5711. It's market manipulation but not by gray market dealers... Honestly have you talked to some of these guys? You give them way too much credit if you think they're able to manipulate the market LOL. I know so many dealers who have almost completely missed the run up on some of these watches because they couldn't understand what was happening. It's the brand itself that is doing it and benefitting wholly and directly from it. And it is the New Normal. If you think they days of getting popular watches at list is coming back anytime soon you are going to be waiting forever because this is not a market anomaly, it's a complete shift in selling strategy that is being taught and directed at the highest level down to the dealers.

This keeps the demand hot by limiting their best pieces (daytonas, nautilus, royal oak) and sales remain high at the same time because you are buying their other pieces to move up higher in line to get the best ones. I can't explain it any better. The brands are playing Chess, while everyone else is playing checkers.

time to move on to other brands...[laugh]

Turbocharged
53 minutes ago, Spidey10 said:

time to move on to other brands...[laugh]

One thing i have to fully agree with T2. Rolex (men’s)= equity

U can bring to any country n move it along easily.

• Praise 2

5 hours ago, Vegas said:

if i could have 1/3 of T2's collection! dreaming......hahhaahha

18 minutes ago, Throttle2 said:

You can but you dont want

canot lah….my 棺材基金 (hope i got this rigth)….will be all gone, buried together with lolex...[laugh]

Edited by Spidey10

On 4/10/2021 at 10:51 PM, RH1667 said:

Today I nearly embarrassed myself at HG Taka 😅.

saw the PP 5524 on the display window ( I had no idea about this model previously) looks nice, and have the 2 time zone function I like. Almost wanted to go in and try on, but wife wanted to have lunch first. During lunch, checked the PP website and realize the retail price also very “ nice “ 😂 

heng ah, did not anyhow went in and said I want to try . 

Try no need to pay what why scared? 

nvr try how to know like or not? 

• Praise 1

5 hours ago, Vegas said:

its difficult to move to other brands. once started Rolex, there is this desire to continue. along the way might add a couple of non-Rolex to collection, but ultimately will still stick to Rolex. haha

9 minutes ago, Damienic said:

its difficult to move to other brands. once started Rolex, there is this desire to continue. along the way might add a couple of non-Rolex to collection, but ultimately will still stick to Rolex. haha

ROLEX know it ... ROLEX bao jiak you for life .... lol

from young you want a sub or gmt ... mid-life you want a Daytona and slowly entering to the dark force  no full GOLD no talk ... :secret-laugh:

Edited by Wt_know

34 minutes ago, Dp26 said:

Try no need to pay what why scared? 

nvr try how to know like or not? 

After seeing and knowing how much it cost, i do not think i am the targeted customer ( aka : i cannot afford [bigcry]

• Haha! 2

Turbocharged
22 minutes ago, Damienic said:

I nvr consider myself a Rolex Fan. When i started work, first swiss watch: anything but rolex... even 6 to 7 yrs ago, i was buying everything but rolex.

even today, there are lot of watches i desire but nvr pull trigger. Cos of the pain when u want to sell those watches. 

1 minute ago, Vegas said:

I nvr consider myself a Rolex Fan. When i started work, first swiss watch: anything but rolex... even 6 to 7 yrs ago, i was buying everything but rolex.

even today, there are lot of watches i desire but nvr pull trigger. Cos of the pain when u want to sell those watches

the beauty of rolex is buy / sell ... anytime ... song song gao jurong

8/10 time sell and still do not lose money and probably MAKE money

2/10 lose money ... but not deep more like depreciation for wearing after many years .... [laugh]  

other brand .... out the store day 1 lose money liao ... muahaha

↡ Advertisement