Watch Part V

Carbon82

1 hour ago, Spidey10 said:

guys, is it true that normal watch shops now dun accept certain watches if we want to change batt? My tag, had it for the last 20 over years and batt is out, took it to a watch shop but they told me need to take it back to Tag AD to have the batt change....

if true, how much is a batt change at the AD? hope is not going to cost me an arm and leg...[laugh]

Try other shops. I've been changing at tanjong pagar plaza for decades for mine. Tag service centre charged me over $80 decades ago...then I found this $6 solution...now it's $10 for a jap battery. 

↡ Advertisement

Supercharged
26 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

Try other shops. I've been changing at tanjong pagar plaza for decades for mine. Tag service centre charged me over $80 decades ago...then I found this $6 solution...now it's $10 for a jap battery. 

thanks bro, so is not true lah…...simple quote ah that shop...

need to do some leg work then...[laugh]

1 hour ago, Spidey10 said:

guys, is it true that normal watch shops now dun accept certain watches if we want to change batt? My tag, had it for the last 20 over years and batt is out, took it to a watch shop but they told me need to take it back to Tag AD to have the batt change....

if true, how much is a batt change at the AD? hope is not going to cost me an arm and leg...[laugh]

Not true. I had my Tag changed at a watch shop in Chinatown some years back. They used Renata, Swiss made batteries. Works fine for me but thereafter decide to remove the batteries due to low wrist time & to avoid battery leak.

• Praise 1

Supercharged
21 minutes ago, Ray7456 said:

Not true. I had my Tag changed at a watch shop in Chinatown some years back. They used Renata, Swiss made batteries. Works fine for me but thereafter decide to remove the batteries due to low wrist time & to avoid battery leak.

thanks bro, it's been a while since i visited the shops to change batt...good to know is not the case...[laugh]

at least 5 watches are running but cannot wear to work or basically not going out at all...….hhhmmm ...i think need to be like T2...Wear it for gardening, sweep floor, wash toilet, wear to church and desk diving at home...….else really no opportunity to wear ler...:dizzy:

and i think cannot look forward to travelling this year as well....:shy:

Renata is the standard Swiss batt for most quartz watches including Tag Heuer, Omega etc. Etc... a good watch shop will charge $10-15 max for a batt replacement which takes only 5mins.
1. Open caseback,, 

2. remove old battery

3. clean contact points

4. install new battery

5. test power

6. Close caseback.

• Praise 2

On 5/9/2021 at 7:27 PM, Throttle2 said:

Left in the drawer unworned 

for sale ref 16710 GMTmaster2 Pepsi

excellent condition. Running smooth and strong 

no holes case on SEL oyster bracelet 

circa 2004.  All original all correct

no box no papers $15380

lelong ah....

4659C3E6-3C53-4366-9BC6-D3578E2D5AC5.jpeg

very funny, i always sell you guys cheap you guys dont want.

anyway SOLD !!!!!

muayhahahahaha

• Praise 1

Supercharged
30 minutes ago, Throttle2 said:

very funny, i always sell you guys cheap you guys dont want.

anyway SOLD !!!!!

muayhahahahaha

you sold your vintage watches and planning to move over to modern model? or continue to buy vintage ?

i was looking at a old white polar explorer, but didn't pull the trigger...[:p]...need to wait a while..funds tied up a bit, need to plan.

(edited)
58 minutes ago, Spidey10 said:

you sold your vintage watches and planning to move over to modern model? or continue to buy vintage ?

i was looking at a old white polar explorer, but didn't pull the trigger...[:p]...need to wait a while..funds tied up a bit, need to plan.

This pepsi 16710 is by no means vintage.  It is as young as a kid, bro.  
modern Rolexes dont cut it for me.  Way to common on the wrists.

everybody wears a batman, or hulk or pepsi.  Just not for me.

i prefer unique individualistic pieces with some character.  Pieces which can show the effects of time. Meaningful stuff. 
thats just me.

Edited by Throttle2
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged
22 hours ago, Spidey10 said:

Actually really depending on what you have and what you want, button battery may cost $2 - 10 (common ones are just around $5 also depending the brands) from distributors direct to the shop. It is very very hard to find the expensive battery unless your watch use one of it which maybe extra slim or small type or uncommon size. But you really need to pay the someone who changes the battery for your watch to get some profits. Thus I believe paying 10 to 15 to the guy changing it is reasonable and depending on your relationship with the shop. 

Going to AD is different, first of all, they have a bigger overhead to maintain and gross margin target, they may have the options to change your rubber seal as necessary. (Ordinary shop also have seals but they may not have the right size unless they keep stocks of many different sizes imagining the market of watches). Another thing is AD does have a small chamber to test the watch on water proofing which most of the shops will not have. There is also seal at the crown as well to consider. That's why the market there for all to choose I suppose.

• Praise 1

Supercharged
2 hours ago, Arogab said:

Actually really depending on what you have and what you want, button battery may cost $2 - 10 (common ones are just around $5 also depending the brands) from distributors direct to the shop. It is very very hard to find the expensive battery unless your watch use one of it which maybe extra slim or small type or uncommon size. But you really need to pay the someone who changes the battery for your watch to get some profits. Thus I believe paying 10 to 15 to the guy changing it is reasonable and depending on your relationship with the shop. 

Going to AD is different, first of all, they have a bigger overhead to maintain and gross margin target, they may have the options to change your rubber seal as necessary. (Ordinary shop also have seals but they may not have the right size unless they keep stocks of many different sizes imagining the market of watches). Another thing is AD does have a small chamber to test the watch on water proofing which most of the shops will not have. There is also seal at the crown as well to consider. That's why the market there for all to choose I suppose.

thanks for the guidance....understood, pple have shop/overheads to pay and put meals on the table..

just that my watch have been with me for more than 20 yrs now...and it was my most expensive purchase at that time...so wanna keep it going, and the last i changed the batt was on 2015 i think and the shops says is pretty neat and clean inside, no need to do servicing at that time....

I'll try the shops around the mall 1st and if that does not work out, then will go to the AD and see if they can do anything about it....this weekend should be a good time....[laugh]. just afraid going to the AD will result not just changing the batt..:TT_TT:

52 minutes ago, Spidey10 said:

thanks for the guidance....understood, pple have shop/overheads to pay and put meals on the table..

just that my watch have been with me for more than 20 yrs now...and it was my most expensive purchase at that time...so wanna keep it going, and the last i changed the batt was on 2015 i think and the shops says is pretty neat and clean inside, no need to do servicing at that time....

I'll try the shops around the mall 1st and if that does not work out, then will go to the AD and see if they can do anything about it....this weekend should be a good time....[laugh]. just afraid going to the AD will result not just changing the batt..:TT_TT:

Yah, the one and only time I went there for battery change they also charged me on this and that module they claimed they also looked at 😅

The reason I went there after many years of ownership was to actually get a replacement band...no more stock available for that model...then was taught to use an eraser...😁

Supercharged
19 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

Yah, the one and only time I went there for battery change they also charged me on this and that module they claimed they also looked at 😅

The reason I went there after many years of ownership was to actually get a replacement band...no more stock available for that model...then was taught to use an eraser...😁

you are right on the band, changed mine as well after some years....now not original band ler….after market band now ...cannot find ori ler...[laugh]

anyway, just wan to keep it going for a while and have the option to wear it once a while...[laugh]

• Praise 1

Hi guys, I'm looking at Steinhart watches and thinking of getting one for myself. Any opinions that you may want to share? I have been reading up but cannot decide. 

Thank you.

Supercharged
8 minutes ago, Count-Bracula said:

Hi guys, I'm looking at Steinhart watches and thinking of getting one for myself. Any opinions that you may want to share? I have been reading up but cannot decide. 

Thank you.

i read and saw their design are close to rolex….seems nice and stylish...but no experience on this brand and have not touch or feel how good it is ....better to go down and have a feel of it and let us know....maybe we will want to look see look see as well...

like me, cannot get rolex GMT, went for tudor GMT....[laugh]

• Praise 1

On 5/11/2021 at 1:56 PM, Throttle2 said:

Renata is the standard Swiss batt for most quartz watches including Tag Heuer, Omega etc. Etc... a good watch shop will charge $10-15 max for a batt replacement which takes only 5mins.
1. Open caseback,, 

2. remove old battery

3. clean contact points

4. install new battery

5. test power

6. Close caseback.

KNN, was charged $28 for changing battery for my Tag some 3 weeks ago at a watch shop in Tampines N2 Shopping Street!  

• Praise 1

I have a quartz tag bought 13 yrs ago. My first swiss watch. 5-6 yrs ago replaced the batt at tag cost ard $50 or $100 if i remember correctly 

now thinking to wear again. I did check some shops cant do batt replacement for tag. Anyone got shop recommendation preferably in jurong or clementi area

Supercharged
3 minutes ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

I have a quartz tag bought 13 yrs ago. My first swiss watch. 5-6 yrs ago replaced the batt at tag cost ard $50 or $100 if i remember correctly 

now thinking to wear again. I did check some shops cant do batt replacement for tag. Anyone got shop recommendation preferably in jurong or clementi area

that's what i heard as well, one of the shops that i visited say must take it back to the AD.....and i lan lan went home, but didn't try other shops....i'll try a couple more and see during the long break...

• Praise 1

Supercharged
20 minutes ago, 209752648026519 said:

KNN, was charged $28 for changing battery for my Tag some 3 weeks ago at a watch shop in Tampines N2 Shopping Street!  

that's reasonable i guess....if you take it to those shops in the mall, probably will touch 40-50 bucks...and back to AD, maybe 70-80..my guess

↡ Advertisement