Hyflux shareholders to stage protest at Hong Lim

Lethalstrike

Turbocharged

I think this Hyflux episode taught a lot of people that even a star company can also close shop if one or two decisions doesn't go their way.

From corporate management perspective, one lesson learned is to keep your business to your core expertise. The thing about Tuaspring project is that they have the idea of bidding really low (to win the project) , and then selling the excess power from the power plant to cover the low water selling price to PUB. It was a brilliant idea, only problem is, they are no expert in power plant business. As such, they fail to realise that energy business is a cyclical one, and that energy prices can fall and affect their overall profitability especially when their low water price is dependent on the energy prices to give it a "lift".

In short, by structuring their bid that way, Hyflux has indirectly entered NOT into water business (which they are great at) but into a power plant business (which they are not good at).

It was really an episode of over-confident, over-sight and losing focus of their core competency. What surprise me however is that there are many parties involved in this....from auditors, bankers, regulators, board of directors, and Hyflux management. Nobody saw the cyclical nature of energy business and analyse the worst case scenario of possible energy prices and ask if that can cover the low selling price of water?

ok u guys ready for the truth?

whose fault is this? can u handle the truth?

its YOUR fault. All u guys who kpkb about a 10m population. All you forummers and internet characters.

because hyflux build the plant with the conviction that a 10m population, as per the white paper, would sustain demand.

but u guys screwed it all up.

:D

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

its YOUR fault. All u guys who kpkb about a 10m population. All you forummers and internet characters.

because hyflux build the plant with the conviction that a 10m population, as per the white paper, would sustain demand.

Walau like that oso can ah.

Cannot be lah. All beri clear signs got many many many many many coming in, some say very very very very very quietly, somemore

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

Yes, Sir....

SMRT also our fault because we overload the trains during peak hours causing rapid wear and tear 

• Praise 2

Supersonic

When Hyflux issued the perps, my then idiot RM asked me to buy.  I told him to F*** off and asked the bank for a new RM,

• Praise 4

Yes, Sir....

SMRT also our fault because we overload the trains during peak hours causing rapid wear and tear

Of course! You donno meh? As sinkie peasants, it's our duty to stand aside and let the honoured FTs enjoy the fruits of our fathers' and grandfathers' labour. We mustn't overcrowd the world class MRT, giving FTs priority. If the MRT breaks down it must be our fault since neither the godly FTs nor our whiter than white masters can ever do any wrong. We should all just quietly serve NS without complaint and also offer them our jobs too since they honour us by even glancing at our derisory offerings and daft, ungrateful faces.

All hail the FTs! All hail the whiter than whites!!

• Praise 3

You must be joking [laugh] [laugh]

I also know unlikely to happen ..... but I think many poor small investors (retirees) kana bite. 

[bigcry]

• Praise 7

I think this Hyflux episode taught a lot of people that even a star company can also close shop if one or two decisions doesn't go their way.

From corporate management perspective, one lesson learned is to keep your business to your core expertise. The thing about Tuaspring project is that they have the idea of bidding really low (to win the project) , and then selling the excess power from the power plant to cover the low water selling price to PUB. It was a brilliant idea, only problem is, they are no expert in power plant business. As such, they fail to realise that energy business is a cyclical one, and that energy prices can fall and affect their overall profitability especially when their low water price is dependent on the energy prices to give it a "lift".

In short, by structuring their bid that way, Hyflux has indirectly entered NOT into water business (which they are great at) but into a power plant business (which they are not good at).

It was really an episode of over-confident, over-sight and losing focus of their core competency. What surprise me however is that there are many parties involved in this....from auditors, bankers, regulators, board of directors, and Hyflux management. Nobody saw the cyclical nature of energy business and analyse the worst case scenario of possible energy prices and ask if that can cover the low selling price of water?

I just read that they screwed up their water plant too by not meeting the both quality and quality. That is the main reason PUB wants to take back the plant. Meeting the quality and quantity is essential part of our survival.

So it seems that they are not good in water business either.

Edited by Ender
  • Praise 2

Hypersonic

How come so much confidence in the company then? The CEO’s success story is like fairy tale leh I read. Any link or connection?

• Praise 1

When Hyflux issued the perps, my then idiot RM asked me to buy.  I told him to F*** off and asked the bank for a new RM,

I bo RM, so didn't even have chance to be conned....  :D

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Met a rather passionate fellow today who blames the gov for sabotaging the company. That this Sat protest is damn day Chi.. I asked him you got $$$ invested huh? He responded .. nope.. I pity the CEO and the company kena played.. and gov must compensate the shareholders..

Many ppl many perspectives many agenda.. all I can say..

• Praise 1

Supersonic

I bo RM, so didn't even have chance to be conned.... :D

Lucky u. I siam my RM coz always suggest buy this buy that. The good RM serve the ultra HNW clients like T2 so i probably get the all the freshies or part timers

How come so much confidence in the company then? The CEO’s success story is like fairy tale leh I read. Any link or connection?

Always be careful when "market darling" is used to describe a counter, or its CEOs.  Hyflux is just the latest one, before that there were Accord Customer Care, Citiraya...

Just stick to normal human "darlings", won't lose your pants. (or rather you can put them back on...)

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Of course! You donno meh? As sinkie peasants, it's our duty to stand aside and let the honoured FTs enjoy the fruits of our fathers' and grandfathers' labour. We mustn't overcrowd the world class MRT, giving FTs priority. If the MRT breaks down it must be our fault since neither the godly FTs nor our whiter than white masters can ever do any wrong. We should all just quietly serve NS without complaint and also offer them our jobs too since they honour us by even glancing at our derisory offerings and daft, ungrateful faces.

All hail the FTs! All hail the whiter than whites!!

went to pick up my wife the other day. i was early so waited at her building lobby.

Saw her came out of lift, she's the only one different surrounded by FTs, male and female, of the same skin tone. She said these are all new colleagues. Her company (like many) going big on digital so recruit all this kind. And this is not at cbp or mbfc...

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

i also don't have....then again i am just a peasant storeman

got one day i heard a chairman of a listed company complained.....that his xmm rm parked her much more luxurious car beside his company car and carried $20k hermes bag to meet him

he didnt dare put much money with the rm naturally

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

i also don't have....then again i am just a peasant storeman

got one day i heard a chairman of a listed company complained.....that his xmm rm parked her much more luxurious car beside his company car and carried $20k hermes bag to meet him

he didnt dare put much money with the rm naturally

Hi Chairman .........
  • Praise 6

My work place is opposite Hyflux and I keep seeing expensive and new cars coming out from its car park and kept wondering why are they still paying their workers so well when the coy is in deep shit. Maybe it is from other offices that rents the same building. I don't know but there are a lot of expensive car in their car park.

• Praise 1

Why you have no RM? I still have 700 RM (~S$233.33)  [laugh]  [laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 10