Removing smell lying beneath leather car seat

Kurtselva

Hi guys, my pet dog accidentally peed in the rear seat (my fault for not walking her earlier).

I used tissue to soak the urine from the seat (leather seat) and clean it. The next day when I came to the car, there was a strong smell. Can’t really pinpoint where the smell is coming from but it’s at the rear seat. Realised that some parts of the seat were made of fabric (those sections for the seat belt buckle and child seat Anchor Point). Suspect the urine might have gone through these fabric parts and soaked and lying at the underneath of the seat hence giving out the smell.

Tried the following:

1) vacuuming the area

2) fabreeze

3) baking soda on the seat overnight

4) charcoal deodarizer with fragrance gel

The first 3 did not help much. The deodorizer help in masking the smell (since it has fragrance) but I’m still able to smell the pungent smell now and then. I have tried spraying fabreeze on the suspected areas lots of times. But it doesn’t help much.

When open the car door, I can still smell abit of the pungent smell.

Is it possible that the urine might have seeped through the leather seat and hence the smell is coming from inside the leather? If that’s the case, any advice on how to remove the smell from the leather seat?

Thanks in advance. Anyway the car is only 4 months old

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I have had similar bad experience, but with milo that went stale. It got time to go stale because i neglected that the milo actually seep into the cavity between the seat rail and into the carpet. Initially i cleaned only the outside area and thought it would be ok but the smell got very bad the following day.

Try to use really wet cloth to dab the urine from the suspected area, sort of to remove or dilute it bit by bit till negligible. A bit painful but your situation will not improve unless the urine is reduced much. Must attack the cource, to put simply.

Hi guys, my pet dog accidentally peed in the rear seat (my fault for not walking her earlier).

I used tissue to soak the urine from the seat (leather seat) and clean it. The next day when I came to the car, there was a strong smell. Can’t really pinpoint where the smell is coming from but it’s at the rear seat. Realised that some parts of the seat were made of fabric (those sections for the seat belt buckle and child seat Anchor Point). Suspect the urine might have gone through these fabric parts and soaked and lying at the underneath of the seat hence giving out the smell.

Tried the following:

1) vacuuming the area

2) fabreeze

3) baking soda on the seat overnight

4) charcoal deodarizer with fragrance gel

The first 3 did not help much. The deodorizer help in masking the smell (since it has fragrance) but I’m still able to smell the pungent smell now and then. I have tried spraying fabreeze on the suspected areas lots of times. But it doesn’t help much.

When open the car door, I can still smell abit of the pungent smell.

Is it possible that the urine might have seeped through the leather seat and hence the smell is coming from inside the leather? If that’s the case, any advice on how to remove the smell from the leather seat?

Thanks in advance. Anyway the car is only 4 months old

post-14834-0-79407300-1553639840_thumb.jpg

post-14834-0-44122100-1553640105_thumb.jpg

Edited by Yewheng

The urine could have flow backwards due to the seat inclination and pool below the seat. Could have dried up but the smell will definitely be there. Think its best to open up the back seat (usually clipped depending on car) and thoroughly clean it to remove the smell. 

I have had similar bad experience, but with milo that went stale. It got time to go stale because i neglected that the milo actually seep into the cavity between the seat rail and into the carpet. Initially i cleaned only the outside area and thought it would be ok but the smell got very bad the following day.

Try to use really wet cloth to dab the urine from the suspected area, sort of to remove or dilute it bit by bit till negligible. A bit painful but your situation will not improve unless the urine is reduced much. Must attack the cource, to put simply.

Agreed. But I think the source is from inside the seat now. On the seat I’m not able to smell it but under the seat, I can smell. And it’s not from the floorboard side but the under of the seat itself which is difficult to access.

The urine would have dried off by joe but the smell is still quite there. Will try put charcoal below the seat to see if it can absorb the smell.

Put charcoal bag in the seat plus those moisture absorber that you collcted when buying shoes and etc. Put these in the seat. These will absorb whatever moisture and oxygen on the seat. That will hopefully removed almost all of the smell.

I once fetch passenger with very young child. This child is in the car seat. However for don't know what reasons, the child vomited in my car seat. End up the car seat very smelly. I bring home and wash, and the smell is still there. I end up put 1 charcoal bag, a few moisture absorber I collected from shoes packaging, food packaging on the car seat. Next day I woke up and check the car seat, the smell is gone.

Screenshot_20190327_063700_com.android.chrome.jpg

You can give it a try..I think you need to collect a lot of moisture absorber bag or you could buy it.

Screenshot_20190327_064118_com.android.chrome.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion. Have tried using the gel type charcoal + fragrance but it only mask the smell and not remove it. Will try put the powder form charcoal you suggested.

The urine could have flow backwards due to the seat inclination and pool below the seat. Could have dried up but the smell will definitely be there. Think its best to open up the back seat (usually clipped depending on car) and thoroughly clean it to remove the smell.

Yea that’s what I think also. The smell is sitting deep inside the seat. I’ve cleaned the floorboard area below the seat. But the smell is coming from the underside of the seat itself. Which is quite hard to access

Would sending to a shop for interior steam cleaning remove the odour?

If so, any recommendation of shops that actually work in removing odour completely. Thanks

Agreed. But I think the source is from inside the seat now. On the seat I’m not able to smell it but under the seat, I can smell. And it’s not from the floorboard side but the under of the seat itself which is difficult to access.

The urine would have dried off by joe but the smell is still quite there. Will try put charcoal below the seat to see if it can absorb the smell.

Thanks for the suggestion. Have tried using the gel type charcoal + fragrance but it only mask the smell and not remove it. Will try put the powder form charcoal you suggested.

Yea that’s what I think also. The smell is sitting deep inside the seat. I’ve cleaned the floorboard area below the seat. But the smell is coming from the underside of the seat itself. Which is quite hard to access

Would sending to a shop for interior steam cleaning remove the odour?

If so, any recommendation of shops that actually work in removing odour completely. Thanks

Depending on how deep and how much is the pee. It may take 1 day to 1wk to clear all small. So if you tried 1 day and there is improvement, continue to do it for 1 wk.

Coz the silica gel main thing is to absorb moisture. This 1 bag of silica gel can only absorb certain moisture and then no effect after that. Need to sun it to dry then can use again. So if you continue to use it and then dry and then use it and dry, repeat this step for say 1 to 2 weeks. Confirm will see the difference.

Of coz must find the right location to put where there is pee moisture. If not, put in location where there is no pee moisture, it will have no effect at all. The the problem for you now is to find where is the main location of the pee seep to and then put many of these gel for 1wk. (sun dry and reuse and repeat)

Edited by Yewheng

Happened to me once years ago with a carton of milk that split and soaked through the back seat into the foam cushion below...

Thought I had cleaned it up ok but OMG 3 days later the milk went bad and you would puke from even being within 100 metres of the car... Tried to clean it up using all sorts of methods but it was impossible to get rid of... Unfortunately the cushioning under the seat is literally like a sponge and once the liquid has been absorbed it will be there for ever.. 

Finally in desperation I removed the whole seat cushion from the car, turned it upside down and sprayed it with a hosepipe until the sponge had fully waterlogged and then knelt on it to squeeze all the water out of it, then soak again and squeeze out... repeat a few times and then put in the sun to dry for 1 or 2 days until completely dry and after that fully gone... 

Happened to me once years ago with a carton of milk that split and soaked through the back seat into the foam cushion below...

Thought I had cleaned it up ok but OMG 3 days later the milk went bad and you would puke from even being within 100 metres of the car... Tried to clean it up using all sorts of methods but it was impossible to get rid of... Unfortunately the cushioning under the seat is literally like a sponge and once the liquid has been absorbed it will be there for ever..

Finally in desperation I removed the whole seat cushion from the car, turned it upside down and sprayed it with a hosepipe until the sponge had fully waterlogged and then knelt on it to squeeze all the water out of it, then soak again and squeeze out... repeat a few times and then put in the sun to dry for 1 or 2 days until completely dry and after that fully gone...

Ya quite a tedious job, must really get the location of there is the moisture and tackle from there.

Depending on how deep and how much is the pee. It may take 1 day to 1wk to clear all small. So if you tried 1 day and there is improvement, continue to do it for 1 wk.

Coz the silica gel main thing is to absorb moisture. This 1 bag of silica gel can only absorb certain moisture and then no effect after that. Need to sun it to dry then can use again. So if you continue to use it and then dry and then use it and dry, repeat this step for say 1 to 2 weeks. Confirm will see the difference.

Of coz must find the right location to put where there is pee moisture. If not, put in location where there is no pee moisture, it will have no effect at all. The the problem for you now is to find where is the main location of the pee seep to and then put many of these gel for 1wk. (sun dry and reuse and repeat)

Highly Suspect it seep to the bottom of the rear seat. Can smell it there. By now the urine might be dried off. Would charcoal still be able to absorb the odour? Or only works on moisture? I have placed packets of charcoal below the seat. Will check and see the difference Tmr morning.

Wow spoilt milk smell is worse

Neutral Newbie

erm.. anyone try those nano clean smoke thing before?

my friend was asking me to try this liquid moly climate fresh or something, say it can fresh up the car air