HSA recalls 3 brands of high blood pressure drugs

Carbon82

Do remember to check the medication your elderly at home are consuming. They are the most vulnerable groups.

HSA recalls 3 brands of high blood pressure drugs over potentially harmful impurity

losartan-table-1.jpg

losartan-hyperten-50mg.jpg

losartan-losagen-50mg.jpg

losartan-losartas-100mg.jpg

SINGAPORE: Three brands of high blood pressure medicine containing the ingredient losartan have been recalled because they contain higher than acceptable levels of a potentially harmful impurity, the Health Sciences Authority (HSA) said on Thursday (Mar 28).

The drugs contain the active ingredient losartan potassium, which was manufactured by Indian pharmaceutical company Hetero Labs.

The affected products are the 50mg and 100mg tablets from the brands Losartas, Losagen and Hyperten and distributed by local suppliers Apotheca Marketing, Medicell Pharmaceutical and Goldplus Universal, respectively.

About 137,000 patients in Singapore are using the three recalled brands of losartan medicine, said the Ministry of Health (MOH).

Losartas is prescribed in public healthcare institutions, while Losartas, Losagen and Hyperten are prescribed at private healthcare institutions.

HSA has advised patients not to stop treatment on their own as there is no immediate health risk and sudden stopping of the drugs can pose greater immediate risk to their health.

The recalled products were found to contain trace amounts of a nitrosamine impurity, N-nitro-N-methyl-4-aminobutyric acid (NMBA), which are above internationally accepted levels, HSA said.

Exposure to nitrosamines at high quantities over a long-term period may potentially increase the risk of cancer.

For example, the added cancer risk from an additional six-month exposure is estimated to be less than 0.0002 per cent.

“The risks of trace amounts of NMBA are associated with long term exposure. Sudden stopping of the medicines can pose greater and more immediate risk to patient’s health … We have advised healthcare professionals to review the medicine and treatment plans of their patients,” HSA said.

HSA said that several losartan medicines have been recalled overseas since end-February due to the presence of NMBA. It tested all locally marketed losartan products for the presence of the NMBA impurity and in March found the three brands contained trace amounts of NMBA above acceptable levels.

The other seven brands of losartan medicines marketed in Singapore are NOT affected by this impurity.

losartan-table-2.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 16

Supersonic

I'm on Losartas 50 from polyclinic.

I received sms from HSA

And this is contradictory

There is no immediate health risk. If you are taking Losartas, please continue  because it is unsafe to stop.

So either I die of high bp or cancer.

And choose my poison.

Edited by Kb27
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

I received sms from HSA

And choose my poison.

Mine start with amo..something 5mg also from polyclinic. No sms or anything from polyclnic. Edited by Kopites

I received sms from HSA

And choose my poison.

How long have you being taking the drug? Edited by Kopites

All the ah tans.

Do you remember the rain in september?

Telmisartan, valsartan, all the wangsartan.

If drug production processes are looked into, the drugs/medication supply should be too.

All the GPs out there are small businesses as well, therefore the supply chain need to be looked at.

Get the drift?

Come and see the physician. Do not bother calling or smsing for an answer. The poly or hospital doctors or even your private doctor can sort out the atan problem.

No worries, you'd give yourself cancer.

• Praise 2

Supersonic

How long have you being taking the drug?

I started with pvt dr. who prescribe me losartan.

Then I moved to polyclinic, bcuz pvt was too expensive.

They continue to give me losartan.

Probably 1+ year now.

Probably 1+ year now.

You received sms?

Supercharged

My mum's medicine is atenolol.. got so many different type medicine for high bp.. wonder how doctor decide which to prescribe..

Edited by Tkseah

For those who are not sure if the medication you are taking are affected by the recall, just give the clinic a call to confirm, save you the trouble of guessing (and worrying).

I called up the clinic this morning, provide the patient (family member) personal particular, and in less than a min, I was told the medication administered was not one of the 3 being recalled. Lucky.

• Praise 6

For those who are not sure if the medication you are taking are affected by the recall, just give the clinic a call to confirm, save you the trouble of guessing (and worrying).

I called up the clinic this morning, provide the patient (family member) personal particular, and in less than a min, I was told the medication administered was not one of the 3 being recalled. Lucky.

Clinic?

Me polyclnic! Can call?

I received sms from HSA

And choose my poison.

Bro ... the risk as quoted by FDA (America's Food and Drug Authority) is 1 in 100000 if taking the drug for more than 70 years (lifetime risk)!

The risk is miniscule ... I think driving a car has a much higher risk lifetime odds of being involved in an accident AND DYING is 1 in 572 (USA stats).

Please continue to take your meds until your next appt to see the doc.

• Praise 4

Probably 1+ year now.

Can share how much your HBP medication cost every month with private doc and polyclinic? 

I am taking amlodipline/valsartan 5mg/80mg daily, every month about $70. If polyclinic can be had for much cheaper, then I might consider getting from there. Thanks.

↡ Advertisement