Just renewed 10 years COE for my Honda Civic

VictorTQT

Hi all,

Just would like to share my experiences during the renewal of my Honda Civic.

History: My car is the Honda Civic 1.6AT, originally registered in 16 Apr 2009. I bought the car from a Direct seller through sgcarmart at 16.5k (min PARF is 12.5k) in Nov 2018, means I had approximate 6 months to drive the car to inspect its status before making decision to renew the COE or not. Road tax was paid until 15 Apr 2019, so it is another convenient point for me. The mileage of the car when I took over was 87000 km (genuine mileage) and I was the 4th owner of the car. The purchasing was pretty smooth, I paid full amount in cash and we completed the ownership transfer at LTA on the same day.

STA evaluation: The Direct seller on his good will sent the car to STA for evaluation and bear the cost for it. The STA report showed there are only a few minor points with the car, inclusive the worn out tires, worn lower arm-buish, non-retractable left-side mirror and minor seepage of oil. As all of those issues are wear and tears items, I decided to move on and took the car.

Driving experience and maitenance: Handling of the car is good, during the 6 months driving it never gave me any problems. Quite happy with my car, so in March I sent my car for regular servicing and also for comprehensive checking at a workshop to intensive evaluate the car for COE renewal. All wear and tears part needed to be changed include 4 tires (Michelin Primacy 4), lower arm buishes and fix the non-retractable mirror only (over-all cost me less than 1k). The oil seepage was not detected at this servicing time and the mechanics told me they would check it at next time servicing. After that my car was ready for COE renewal.

COE renewal: I bought the car in Nov 2018, when the PQP for COE reneal was $29760. The PQP was steadily decrease in the months after that and it reached the lowest $25525 in March, before slight increase in Apr. When I logged in the LTA onemotoring portal, I got the option to choose Mar or Apr PQP. If I chose Mar PQP, then my new COE wil be from 1st Apr 2019 to 31rd Mar 2029. If I chose Apr PQP, then my new COE will be from 16th Apr 2019 to 15th Apr 2029. Due to only 15 days is forfeited, I have decided to renew the 10 years COE using March PQP. The payment is also pretty convenient via online bank-payment. I also realized that the PARF rebate is still valid until 15 Apr 2019 even though I have renewed the COE, means I can still de-register the car and get back that min PARF.

Road tax renewal: Now there is a small problem for me. My insurance with AXA is till 20 Nov 2019, so I only got an option to renew the road tax for 6 month from 16th Apr 2019 to 15th Oct 2019 (at $407). I think I will need to discuss with the insurance company to extend my current contract till 15th Apr 2020 so I can align the road tax with the insurance, but surely there is a mismatch in the expiry dates for road tax and the new COE.

Thinking: I am now thinking whether should I repaint the whole car or not. The color of my car is brown and there are quite a number of small scratches there, but it is not clearly visible. I asked around and the cost is likely to be in 1-1.5k, so still thinking about it. And since the headlights are quite yellowish (although tried to polish and restore but still a bit foggy), I have also bought a pair of headlights at price of $119 each. Will install this brand new headlights after I repaint the car.

Edited by VictorTQT
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 23

I will suggest you to mask out your Car plate, COE number. 

Thanks for your suggestion, I have removed the photos.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

COE renewal: I bought the car in Nov 2018, when the PQP for COE reneal was $29760. The PQP was steadily decrease in the months after that and it reached the lowest $25525 in March, before slight increase in Apr. When I logged in the LTA onemotoring portal, I got the option to choose Mar or Apr PQP. If I chose Mar PQP, then my new COE wil be from 1st Apr 2019 to 31rd Mar 2029. If I chose Apr PQP, then my new COE will be from 16th Apr 2019 to 15th Apr 2029. Due to only 15 days is forfeited, I have decided to renew the 10 years COE using March PQP. The payment is also pretty convenient via online bank-payment. I also realized that the PARF rebate is still valid until 15 Apr 2019 even though I have renewed the COE, means I can still de-register the car and get back that min PARF.

This is a revelation to me.

Does this mean that for eg. if I have 7 years to go on my car but seeing how the PQP for renewal now is attractive, I choose to renew COE but I still have until the end of the 7 years to decide whether to deregister and get back min PARF?

(edited)

Does this mean that for eg. if I have 7 years to go on my car but seeing how the PQP for renewal now is attractive, I choose to renew COE but I still have until the end of the 7 years to decide whether to deregister and get back min PARF?

Yes, it is and that is an interesting finding. I have just logged into my onemotoring systems and still see the min PARF value is valid as showing in the photos here. It also stated that the PARF eligibility is Yes (although the new COE with PQP has been paid) with the amount of $12569 if de-register by today. PARF eligibility expiry date is until 15 Apr 2019 (based on original registration).

post-257076-0-18799300-1553836352_thumb.jpg

post-257076-0-08079600-1553836358_thumb.jpg

Edited by VictorTQT

Twincharged

yup. coe is coe, PARF is PARF. both are totally unrelated.

example 1.

look at those used import. PARF is based on the original registration date of the car in Japan for example. whereas COE starts when you buy the coe and register the car locally.

original reg date in japan: 30June 2018. PARF is up to 29June 2028.

register and drive on SG roads :  2May 2019 (COE till 1May 2029)

Example 2.

assuming you current car is now 5years old and you want to keep you car long term. lets say COE PQP falls to 10k  . if you renew, then you can drive the car for 10years till the month of the PQP. eg if you paid for March 2019 PQP, you drive till 31March 2029. you original COE which you paid 5years ago is voided and your paper value in now 75% of ARF paid plus $10k. so the only disadvantage is your paper value drops due the recent coe paid. but you get to drive an additional 5 years for $10k plus PARF.

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 2

Twincharged

Yes, it is and that is an interesting finding. I have just logged into my onemotoring systems and still see the min PARF value is valid as showing in the photos here. It also stated that the PARF eligibility is Yes (although the new COE with PQP has been paid) with the amount of $12569 if de-register by today. PARF eligibility expiry date is until 15 Apr 2019 (based on original registration).

its not new, it has been so since day 1. just that no one mentioned it before. and maybe even some dealers try to smoke or are clueless themselves.

Don't repaint. Keep the paint work as bad as possible - all cars will siam you and not jiak u. Your trip will be smoother!

Same school of thoughts here.
  • Praise 2

yup. coe is coe, PARF is PARF. both are totally unrelated.

example 1.

look at those used import. PARF is based on the original registration date of the car in Japan for example. whereas COE starts when you buy the coe and register the car locally.

original reg date in japan: 30June 2018. PARF is up to 29June 2028.

register and drive on SG roads :  2May 2019 (COE till 1May 2029)

Example 2.

assuming you current car is now 5years old and you want to keep you car long term. lets say COE PQP falls to 10k  . if you renew, then you can drive the car for 10years till the month of the PQP. eg if you paid for March 2019 PQP, you drive till 31March 2029. you original COE which you paid 5years ago is voided and your paper value in now 75% of ARF paid plus $10k. so the only disadvantage is your paper value drops due the recent coe paid. but you get to drive an additional 5 years for $10k plus PARF.

Wow! I never know buying a car here can be so complicated.  :D

• Praise 3

Why is there a need to do so? He is not driving some luxury cars .

Just to let him have some privacy.

Edited by Dilemma
  • Praise 3

They shouldn’t forfeit the parf becuase Renee coe is true environmentalist

Bro, it is good to get a new paint job.

Glad you managed to get new headlights.

Swee swee liao.[thumbsup]

I always like a paint job and headlights :grin:
  • Praise 3

They shouldnât forfeit the parf becuase Renee coe is true environmentalist

Na bei, you never cease to amuse me bro...haha.

Me too, I likey as well.

They shouldn’t forfeit the parf becuase Renee coe is true environmentalist

And I always get a blow job after a paint job, while fixing the headlights... [:p]  [:p]  [:p]

• Praise 1

its not new, it has been so since day 1. just that no one mentioned it before. and maybe even some dealers try to smoke or are clueless themselves.

OKOK, you win  you win!!!  :a-good:

I admit I was wrong!!! [:/]

KNN LTA CS gave misleading information.  <_<

• Praise 1