Is it alright to pay more for the Toyota brand?

Many people say Toyota no longer offers value for money cars in Singapore. Its expensive, not worth it, old fashion specs etc

For the money you are paying to buy a Vios with drums brakes, no leather seats, manual aircon, missing DRL, you might as well buy a Korean car. It has better trim level and is much cheaper.

In my view the reason why the local agent priced it higher is because the brand is associated with reliability. You may hear people saying Korean cars are just as reliable but the Kia and Hyundai are still one notch below Toyota. Their selling point  is they offer better interior design, more features such as wireless HP charging, rear aircon.

However not everyone is impressed with these type of stuff. The more stuff the car has, the higher the chances of it breaking down and electronic stuff is usually 1 yr warranty only.

What are your views?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5
  • Dislike 2

Turbocharged

It’s the same reason why people would pay $136K for the tiny Audi A3.

Or why some would gladly pay $185K for a VW Passat 2.0 when its identical twin, the  Skoda Superb 2.0 costs a mere $123K.

• Praise 17

At times people asked me why i drive so fast for what?

My reply is if i were to drive slow, i would have gotten a toyota. 

No offence to toyota owners, its a kind of general analogy that i tend to make.

• Praise 2

Consumers mostly very gullible de. Tell them goods expensive cos it is higher quakity/more reliable, they will believe. Sell cheap they dare not buy.

So better mark up high high, and give tiny discounts they will bite.

• Praise 7

Many people say Toyota no longer offers value for money cars in Singapore. Its expensive, not worth it, old fashion specs etc

For the money you are paying to buy a Vios with drums brakes, no leather seats, manual aircon, missing DRL, you might as well buy a Korean car. It has better trim level and is much cheaper.

In my view the reason why the local agent priced it higher is because the brand is associated with reliability. You may hear people saying Korean cars are just as reliable but the Kia and Hyundai are still one notch below Toyota. Their selling point  is they offer better interior design, more features such as wireless HP charging, rear aircon.

However not everyone is impressed with these type of stuff. The more stuff the car has, the higher the chances of it breaking down and electronic stuff is usually 1 yr warranty only.

What are your views?

The ans to your qns is simple. 

How deep is your pocket? How big a carrot head do you consider yourself to be? 

Do u buy models based on what your neighbors are buying? Do u buy cars to please used car dealers, however silly that notion may sound? Do u think that it is ok to spend over $150k to buy another so called brand new Previa when you just junked the exact car of 10 yrs old recently? 

If your ans is yes to any of the above, then it is ok to pay more for a Toyota

• Praise 4

What are your views?

how would u determine kia and hyundai are one notch below toyota?

I guess still depends on your priority. if u rate reliability highly and feel that toyota is be more reliable than most brands, then toyota is for u.

If another person prefers a car thats looks modern and has more tech, he will look elsewhere

• Praise 4

Honestly the price for Toyota locally is starting to be insane. Korean Hyundai/Kai and even Japan Mazda/Honda offers competitive pricing for cars of the same class. Toyota's reputation for reliability is definitely unmatched but Honda & Mazda aren't that bad either (maybe 1 or 2 trips to the workshop more than a Toyota). If you're looking to buy a small/mid-size sedan like Vios or Altis, there are more affordable options out there!

Don't buy a Toyota if you're not planning to extend COE. Otherwise, you can save yourself some money or still pay the same amount of money for a more "fun" or "full-featured" car from other brands. That being said, if you're a towkay or rich then no one's stopping you from buying a Camry or Harrier when you can actually buy a decent Conti.

• Praise 5

Price aside, most of their cars are fugly and cheap looking... I will never hesitate to buy a korean if I need to choose between the 2.. 

I can never forget the vios dashboard with artificial stitch marking when i went to borneo motors a few years back.. I mean...really? 

• Praise 3

Now the latest model also have those fake stiches. They wanna make it look like leather.

Price aside, most of their cars are fugly and cheap looking... I will never hesitate to buy a korean if I need to choose between the 2.. 

I can never forget the vios dashboard with artificial stitch marking when i went to borneo motors a few years back.. I mean...really? 

What are your views?

The reason is very simple and straight forward ma.

ppl will pay more for a brand they like.

like some bro mention pay so much a a A3??

If every 1 buy car base on spec ,

u will see stinger every where on the road,  tio bo??

alot of ppl love toyota ,

they willing to pay more for it.

its that simple....

Supersonic

The market as is, what sells ?

There are all kinds of customers, some knowledgeable to some extend, some just know how to top up petrol and go.

So if you're unsure about how a car works and doesn't want to know anyways, you'll follow the crowd.

• Praise 1

see how controversial your topic is, haha

It's because he wants to take revenge on me leh...

But I am willing to give away points to bo testicles 的人

Nvm, I give you 5 back. [laugh]

5 to you too

Supercharged

I never own a Toyota in my life

now only I know it is a more expensive car in the same category  [:p]

I had driven first gen Vios from its 7th yr to 10th yr. I also driven a Kia Forte from its 5th yr to 8th yr.

Really got difference in reliability. The Vios was hardy indeed.

Not sure about present gen Vios vs Avante/Cerato. Feature wise, i admit Korean win.

Reliability wise, can only tell when the car reaches 5th yr and beyond. First few years mostly no problem.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7