Is it alright to pay more for the Toyota brand?

Reliabilty can never be patented. Its a result of hard work and company culture. The Jap brands have established themselves firmly in buyers mind. In this aspect, the Koreans have much to learn from the Japanese.

Can the Koreans catch up? Not really possible as the Jap is always 1 step ahead of them.

Well....no harm hearing what others have to say before buying.

Ok i get u.

I'd previously a 08 k-suv. Bought at year 5.5 at some 90+k km mileage. By year 9.5 thereabout, mileage was near 170k km. Replaced all shocks, front brake pads & rotors, 12v batt, timing ac power steering belts, steering rack (can be repaired but new only cost another 100+), ac comp.

Despite above, I felt it's somewhat hardy and reliable, as I was never stranded before and during trip. Comfy ride though brakes could have more bite.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Many people say Toyota no longer offers value for money cars in Singapore. Its expensive, not worth it, old fashion specs etc

For the money you are paying to buy a Vios with drums brakes, no leather seats, manual aircon, missing DRL, you might as well buy a Korean car. It has better trim level and is much cheaper.

In my view the reason why the local agent priced it higher is because the brand is associated with reliability. You may hear people saying Korean cars are just as reliable but the Kia and Hyundai are still one notch below Toyota. Their selling point  is they offer better interior design, more features such as wireless HP charging, rear aircon.

However not everyone is impressed with these type of stuff. The more stuff the car has, the higher the chances of it breaking down and electronic stuff is usually 1 yr warranty only.

What are your views?

It depends on how deep is your pocket. It is like comparing Starbucks hot chocolate to Kopitiam Milo. Milo is value for money, no doubt about that, but look at Starbucks, it is always crowded. Why consumer is willing to pay for hot chocolate, which is 4-5x the price of Milo.

For me, if you can afford it, go for it, after all, I can't bring the money into my coffin.  

Some say they can afford it, but do not want to spend so much, so they buy korean cars.

On the other hand, there are those who need to take max loan to afford it.

Its not as simple as the concept of bring money into coffin.

It depends on how deep is your pocket. It is like comparing Starbucks hot chocolate to Kopitiam Milo. Milo is value for money, no doubt about that, but look at Starbucks, it is always crowded. Why consumer is willing to pay for hot chocolate, which is 4-5x the price of Milo.

For me, if you can afford it, go for it, after all, I can't bring the money into my coffin.  

There's a sexy Octavia Estate 2.0 RS245 brought in by PI. Go see. It looks so nice and practical with the extra storage space!

Which PI? I like estates.

Only for the elegance version,

Yes you are right.

Thanks @PSP415 bro. My left ear is fully functional now. Imagine a thick gooey chunk of ear wax stuck to the eardrum.

Some say they can afford it, but do not want to spend so much, so they buy korean cars.

On the other hand, there are those who need to take max loan to afford it.

Its not as simple as the concept of bring money into coffin.

at the end of the day 90% buyers are based on affordability to choose which car..
  • Praise 2

The new TNGA platform Altis is getting rave reviews in Taiwan.

I will go for a test drive when it is here to see how it compares to my previous 2012 Kia Forte.

Whether or not any particular make or model is worth paying more over others, depends on the overall package and individual buyer perception and expectation.

It is neverending, so what's the point of debating?

• Praise 3

Yes you are right.

Thanks @PSP415 bro. My left ear is fully functional now. Imagine a thick gooey chunk of ear wax stuck to the eardrum.

Eeeeeeeee... luckiky...yicky...yucks.

Luckily lunch over awhile liao. I have good imagination and the picture came onto mind's big screen. Thank you ah.

• Praise 1

at the end of the day 90% buyers are based on affordability to choose which car..

Ya, it is like buying Casio vs Rolex. Casio is loaded with functions, while Rolex is a brand, atas watch.  

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Ya, it is like buying Casio vs Rolex. Casio is loaded with functions, while Rolex is a brand, atas watch.

Rolex needs to put on a watch winder if not worn otherwise it stops.

If one day the watch winder stops working then the Rollie also stops

Didn't know so lehcheh need so much TLC

• Praise 2

Didn't know so lehcheh need so much TLC

• Praise 4

Didn't know so lehcheh need so much TLC ð

Sounds like a Toyota that some of the people are taking about. More expensive, less features , yet people are buying.

Let's start a thread is it ok to pay more for Rolex.

• Praise 2

Twincharged

Didn't know so lehcheh need so much TLC ð

Also 2 schools of thought.

1. Keep having it on the watch winder and potentially wear out the mechanism

2. Leave it idle in the drawer and potentially jamming the mechanism.

Casio better. Just use. If spoil, just throw. Hahahhah

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Not true. Just let it rest, and when want to wear, just need to adjust the time and date.

Was told cannot let the Rollie stop cos it's bad for the mechanism inside.. better play it safe

Sounds like a Toyota that some of the people are taking about. More expensive, less features , yet people are buying.

Let's start a thread is it ok to pay more for Rolex.

It is the same when compared Conti to JDM cars. If we compare Qashqai 2.0 Premium to a Merc GLA 180, both around the same price range, JDM gives you more features, like blind spot assist, 360 cameras etc, which are optional for Merc. Merc owner will feel short change, pay more but get less. 

Same for Starbucks Hot Chocolate vs Kopitiam Milo, 4-5 times the price, but we still patronize Starbucks. 

At the end of the day, if you have a deep pocket, go for it.

Edited by Billcoke
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4