Is it alright to pay more for the Toyota brand?

In my view the reason why the local agent priced it higher is because the brand is associated with reliability. ....

Lets leave the  perceived reliability discussion aside,  I want to point out your perception of local agent pricing the car higher. 

The reason Altis is priced higher because they have a higher OMV, as a result, they need to be sold at a higher selling price. If you compare carefully, in fact  KMC is making better profit per car from an Avante than BM making  from an Altis.  Whether a higher price would translate into better reliability or value for money is beside the point, this is why there are people who pay double and triple the amount of money for a Merc and BMW   when there are sub 100k cars available.  If any,  BM only have their supplier to blame for not being able to manufacture cars at lower cost.  

Total cost of Altis : 75k 

Sell price : 89k 

profit : 17k

Total cost of Avante S model : 55k

Sell price : 75k 

profit : 20k 

Edited by Ct3833
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

Twincharged

I had driven first gen Vios from its 7th yr to 10th yr. I also driven a Kia Forte from its 5th yr to 8th yr.

Really got difference in reliability. The Vios was hardy indeed.

Not sure about present gen Vios vs Avante/Cerato. Feature wise, i admit Korean win.

Reliability wise, can only tell when the car reaches 5th yr and beyond. First few years mostly no problem.

Ya toyota reliability still tops.
  • Praise 1

Justifiable or not is up to consumer and company management. All brand needs to fulfill sales to their principal & factory. So if Toyota enough sales at even "sky high" prices, their sales is enough, no need to drop prices. And their sales people attitude " sir, u want to buy?? Else, pls do not waste my time" kind. They can afford to do so....and reason is obvious.

Also, as others have pointed out, price higher becos their cost is higher but not necessary making more profit den the other "K" brands. Even Ki* profit maybe higher due to their company policy. A new car sale depends on many components....not just the brand new car price.

But Borneo sometimes have superb out of moon prices, I believe their new VIos was once below $70k....I think high 6 region...service was even much worst cos their order and queue is till Johor baru!!!

End of day...willing buyer willing seller....people still buy geely previously.....why???

Super power LOLOLOLOLOLOL

My vios was 52k all in back then. Sunny, lancer were 50k plus. The most expensive were subaru and mazda for Japanese brand. 2005 to 2006 years!

If I remember hyundai elantra was going around 45k plus.

Who will go for korean back then since the price only few ks different!

I can go even back further..Daewood, datsun, daishatsu ..hahaha

I don't see the relevant in debating whether alright to pay more for toyota brand. Replace toyota with another brand name there will always be supporters.

Edited by Kopites

End of the day, all brands can last. It’s only how u maintain the car.

Regular service? (Agent or outside workshop? - some outside workshop do half f* job) (some owners wanna cut cost, everything also cheap. I do know some just say change oil can liao.)

Wear and tear? Do all change when was told? Many sure will wait till either they have $, or want to find cheaper alternative.

My experience.

I do this on my previous VW. Everything all wanna save cost. End up, always go hospital.

Now i change to KIA. Regular go back C&C, change parts when told. Totally no problem at all.

It all depends how u maintain ur car. And also how u drive ur car. Reckless driving can cause “injury” to ur car in case u dunno. Sudden brake can cause other parts ”injured” other than brakes and tyres.

Many factors play a part on ur car.

Toyota is reliable. Becos every workshop knows how to repair. Simple as that.

• Praise 5

End of the day, all brands can last. Itâs only how u maintain the car.

Regular service? (Agent or outside workshop? - some outside workshop do half f* job) (some owners wanna cut cost, everything also cheap. I do know some just say change oil can liao.)

Wear and tear? Do all change when was told? Many sure will wait till either they have $, or want to find cheaper alternative.

My experience.

I do this on my previous VW. Everything all wanna save cost. End up, always go hospital.

Now i change to KIA. Regular go back C&C, change parts when told. Totally no problem at all.

It all depends how u maintain ur car. And also how u drive ur car. Reckless driving can cause âinjuryâ to ur car in case u dunno. Sudden brake can cause other parts âinjuredâ other than brakes and tyres.

Many factors play a part on ur car.

Toyota is reliable. Becos every workshop knows how to repair. Simple as that.

And toyota is not fast hence less item to go breakdown lol
  • Praise 1

I think its a good comparison because Toyota is well known or well perceived or well accepted or well recommended mostly for its reliability. It still is.

Honda, i heard long ago, is machiam the Rolls Royce of Japanese car brands. Mazda for gas guzzler, Nissan for very Asian crude car names, Renault for infamous GB in its heydays where a salesman told me, will cost $32k to overhaul GB or parts must wait long long.

Just perceptions of drivers and beliefs passed down from grandda to son to grandson.

• Praise 2

Justifiable or not is up to consumer and company management. All brand needs to fulfill sales to their principal & factory. So if Toyota enough sales at even "sky high" prices, their sales is enough, no need to drop prices. And their sales people attitude " sir, u want to buy?? Else, pls do not waste my time" kind. They can afford to do so....and reason is obvious.

Also, as others have pointed out, price higher becos their cost is higher but not necessary making more profit den the other "K" brands. Even Ki* profit maybe higher due to their company policy. A new car sale depends on many components....not just the brand new car price.

But Borneo sometimes have superb out of moon prices, I believe their new VIos was once below $70k....I think high 6 region...service was even much worst cos their order and queue is till Johor baru!!!

End of day...willing buyer willing seller....people still buy geely previously.....why???

Super power LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Wat abt other jap brand car which is mij n cheaper than Toyota mit cars?

I don't know where u got that information from, q up to jb? Maybe u try Google lta new car registration first. Toyota sedan cat sales r even worse than Hyundai n u hardly see any Vios on the roads these days.

Ya toyota reliability still tops.

https://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2659768-vios-ncp42-problem/?fromsearch=1

Top sales

Good fc

Good resale value

Reliability

Many tiagong only le

• Praise 1
  • Dislike 1

Twincharged

Wat abt other jap brand car which is mij n cheaper than Toyota mit cars?

I don't know where u got that information from, q up to jb? Maybe u try Google lta new car registration first. Toyota sedan cat sales r even worse than Hyundai n u hardly see any Vios on the roads these days.

https://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2659768-vios-ncp42-problem/?fromsearch=1

Top sales

Good fc

Good resale value

Reliability

Many tiagong only le

Family owned 4 toyota. Still best reliability. La la la la.

Have you owned any?

• Praise 2

Side track a little .......LKY also likes Toyota though he means Lexus...... I remember reading an article in the old days in Asia Magazine about his good relationship with Borneo Motors .... I think he also drove the Crown back then too

post-157298-0-42203200-1553904815_thumb.jpeg

• Praise 5

Side track a little .......LKY also likes Toyota though he means Lexus...... I remember reading an article in the old days in Asia Magazine about his good relationship with Borneo Motors .... I think he also drove the Crown back then too

Really PLP in Japan... never mention their Thailand factories? Most people in SG are driving Thaiyotas lah.....
  • Praise 1

Why Toyota, because it ranks the lowest in maintenance cost.

Better delete this table, not everyone can accept the fact.
  • Praise 2

And toyota is not fast hence less item to go breakdown lol

Low specs n little features.

Not much electronics so lower the chances of breaking down = reliability

Pay more for reliability

In short paying more for low specs n features

Why Toyota, because it ranks the lowest in maintenance cost.

Ha.. And Toyota cars cost easily 4-5digit more in its same class.

TS only posted / replied 2 or 3 post in his own thread , and those post / reply seems to be more focus on mcf point that the topic. Until now, he is only asking about opinion, but has not state his own view. I am also wondering if his real intentions is to have real discussion or ?

Edited by RH1667
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2