Is it alright to pay more for the Toyota brand?

I think the correct question to ask the toyota supporters is:

Will they still buy toyota is money is not an issue?

If answer is yes, I give it to them and believe that they really believe paying more for reliability. Any other answer is just denial. Just mho.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

What are your thoughts ?

I have shown you very clearly Toyota agent did not mark up higher, in fact they make less as compare to Avante. But whether they or their buyers think Toyota is reliable is subjective and depending on individual. However, by seeing the number of COE altis on the road would be able to conclude the popular belief.

About value for money, how to explain why some others think paying more than 200k for a merc or a BMW is value for money. If everyone think like some narrow minded in this thread, how are merc or BM able to sell their cars like hot cake ? The key is depepending on ones financial wealth and spending ability. The richer a person is, chances is the more likely he would think expensive stuff are value for money in most cases, though not all the time. Or at least , they can afford quality stuff without buying brands or products that they are doubtful about. And just in case we are not aware, a lot of richer who can afford, they dont really worry about some repair or hic up, after all they have confident in their own pocket, priority is they want to be seen unique, they want something that reflect their character and life style, enjoy what they like to enjoy. Simi reliability and value for money ? Simi altis or kimchi ?

Contrarily, only some minority who could not afford , buy a cheaper car but have no self confidence, keep coming to MCF attempting to influence others or try to get buy in to boost their own confidence.

Next, everyone must buy most reliable car or buy value for money ?traffic police drive BMw 3 series, tax payers money, how ?

This is my thought lah.

You open a thread and leave so many people talking here, at least express your thoughts.

some just have problem to understand the message or just intention to continue as it...
  • Praise 1

If answer is yes, I give it to them and believe that they really believe paying more for reliability. Any other answer is just denial. Just mho.

well said.. like my earlier clarification, why not buy proton? because money not issue for another brand so get better brand liao..

still no one able to answer to my clarification yet, but keep talking other issue. ..

well said.. like my earlier clarification, why not buy proton? because money not issue for another brand so get better brand liao..

still no one able to answer to my clarification yet, but keep talking other issue. ..

fast is relative....

No lah.

Apple to apple.

I dun see why Camry 2.4 or Mark X is not fast? If u mean 1.5 Vios is not fast? Then u r right.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Then changed to Jag.

Tio again. This one new.. see how...so far 50k already. No issue at all other than mounting change and nothing else.

Suspension and brakes still holding up good.

And oci this car is even longer at 34k

Oil change interval for Jaguar is every 34,000km?  [bounce1]

Or did your friend exceed the oil change interval? 

Turbocharged

There was a time when Toyota is the most expensive car in it's class.

2I9m31t.jpg

It brought it's cost down when they start their factory in Thailand.

if they are not careful they have to make this kind of ad again..

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

Oil change interval for Jaguar is every 34,000km? [bounce1]

Or did your friend exceed the oil change interval?

Yes, XE diesel is 34k. Published in the manual also.

I'm not going to risk using outside oil though. They have oil spec to adhere to.

Yes, XE diesel is 34k. Published in the manual also.

I'm not going to risk using outside oil though. They have oil spec to adhere to.

Wah 34k km !! Your one full tank diesel already like can driver forever and even servicing like can last forever ?? Good choice man !!

No lah.

Apple to apple.

I dun see why Camry 2.4 or Mark X is not fast? If u mean 1.5 Vios is not fast? Then u r right.

Camry 2.4 or 2.5 still slow compared to conti 2.0 turbo
  • Praise 4

My parents 2.3 V6 Cefiro also seems slow compared to my E46 318, to make matters it drank more petrol lol.

But the seats were comfy  [laugh]

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Wah 34k km !! Your one full tank diesel already like can driver forever and even servicing like can last forever ?? Good choice man !!

Yes. Only visited them once throughout my 2ish year's ownership

Bro, you insulted a 2L TC unit.

[grin]

I have driven 4 units of 2.4L jap car of few makes.

I thought they were quick enough until I switched camp.

There is simply no turning back.

• Praise 1

Many people say Toyota no longer offers value for money cars in Singapore. Its expensive, not worth it, old fashion specs etc

For the money you are paying to buy a Vios with drums brakes, no leather seats, manual aircon, missing DRL, you might as well buy a Korean car. It has better trim level and is much cheaper.

In my view the reason why the local agent priced it higher is because the brand is associated with reliability. You may hear people saying Korean cars are just as reliable but the Kia and Hyundai are still one notch below Toyota. Their selling point  is they offer better interior design, more features such as wireless HP charging, rear aircon.

However not everyone is impressed with these type of stuff. The more stuff the car has, the higher the chances of it breaking down and electronic stuff is usually 1 yr warranty only.

What are your views?

I think what you mentioned is more or less generalizing the brand.

Toyota cars have its strengths. Much like other car brands they have their unique selling points. You just have to see where is the money spent. I'm talking about the car maker making the car. Where exactly did they spent the money on eg. engine technology, or whatever. The Korean cars generally do not have the strength of other car makers eg. fuel economy figures. So they distract car buyers with gadgets normally found in other luxury brand of cars or cars in the luxury segment. Does all these gadgets necessarily make their cars better? Imo it's mostly marketing. Many buyers fall for the marketing. End of the day what most budget conscious car buyers want is some car that has low running cost and low fuel bill. Maybe that's why so many sgp car buyers choose this brand for so many years.

It's true in the past most of them are assembled in Thailand and the specs brought in are of bare basics. Most of the fault lies with how our car tax is structured. If you want more the omv or the car's basic cost would go up. But now things have changed a lot including the car tax structure. No matter how basic the car is going to be it's expensive anyway since the intro of carbon tax. Now we see more globally car models with standard specs being offered that includes an array of safety features. A lot of cars now come standard with safety sense that's normally optional add-on cost for luxury brands of car. I mean these things dont come free of course it's going to cost car buyers. But to many they still see this as "should be there at no extra cost". Ppl will still say the brand doesnt offers much compared to the Koreans. But the thing is you buy car or are you buying gadgets? The gadgets novelty will wear off after the while worse is when it breaks down and you may or may not want to fix it.

Many brands cater to different car buyers. To dis a car brand just becos it sells the most cars around shows how much or how little you know about cars actually. To me it's same for many other things like household appliances. Where ppl have no idea first thing they will compare is brands. Followed by what function is there or isn't there. Basically ppl would want the so called best deal for their money.  But buying a car is bit different. A lot of buyers simply dont care. They dont care about the complicated car tax structure. They dont care what the car can do or what gadgets are in there. They just want to know how much of their budget can get the best deal. Full stop.

You are paying a lot for a car but getting very little in return is becos of the car tax. That's why ppl kao peh about the gahment and kao bu how much the dealers make. But if you ask them to put money upfront and import the car on their own nobody is doing it. Want cheap want best want toa liap nee. Ppl should comprain less and learn to do more on their own. If cant, then keep quiet LLST.

• Praise 9

Yes. Only visited them once throughout my 2ish year's ownership ð

56 litres tank but not touched 800km, very much lesser than the 1000km touted by Wearnes. Maybe my driving isn't too sedated ð

Back to the Toyota topic for TS.. my thoughts here.

Paying more means there's something attractive.

Like some go for atas brand for bragging rights, tech like Tesla, etc.

Since the bundled tech in the Toyota is low... perhaps it's hearsay reliability as a selling point?

Then buyers need to decide for themselves if they are misinformed before paying more or even buy it..

Btw.. I've not driven one before but also am under the impression that Toyotas are reliable..

Exactly

Give u a very example.

A brand new 2l forester AWD boxer engine mij (non insight version) $93k

Vs

Brand new Vios 1.5l G mit $89k

Forester have higher parf

Which one will u choose?

Bro, you insulted a 2L TC unit.

[grin]

I have driven 4 units of 2.4L jap car of few makes.

I thought they were quick enough until I switched camp.

There is simply no turning back.

Unless talking about NA 3.5L then got better push

Then again if compare 3L turbo produce over 300bhp, sure wet ald

Exactly

Give u a very example.

Vs

Which one will u choose?

It goes back down who is the buyer.

What is the prescription that the buyer is following.

Do not assume that all or most going to buy the car are under the same rubric.

The eyesight forester is indeed attractive, whoa lots of buttons, sunroof man, all the stickers to add 5bhp more. AWD leh.

Boring car that vios. Small, easy to park. Can drive with two fingers. Everybody knows how to repair. Maybe used the older version learning how to drive -- zero adaptation required.

Unless the male car buyer has absolute freedom, the vios would win hands down.

Unless the female driver is adventurous and likes buttons and paddles, the vios is going to win hands down.

Cheerz. Even though obviously it should be the forester.

• Praise 4

Exactly

Give u a very example.

Vs

Which one will u choose?

Cheaper road tax, cheaper insurance, cheaper maintenance, better fuel consumption ,easier to park

Of cos its Toyota Vios. 

And of cos, its not the answer you are looking for.  [:p]

Edited by Mahjong74
  • Praise 7

I think what you mentioned is more or less generalizing the brand.

Toyota cars have its strengths. Much like other car brands they have their unique selling points. You just have to see where is the money spent. I'm talking about the car maker making the car. Where exactly did they spent the money on eg. engine technology, or whatever. The Korean cars generally do not have the strength of other car makers eg. fuel economy figures. So they distract car buyers with gadgets normally found in other luxury brand of cars or cars in the luxury segment. Does all these gadgets necessarily make their cars better? Imo it's mostly marketing. Many buyers fall for the marketing. End of the day what most budget conscious car buyers want is some car that has low running cost and low fuel bill. Maybe that's why so many sgp car buyers choose this brand for so many years.

It's true in the past most of them are assembled in Thailand and the specs brought in are of bare basics. Most of the fault lies with how our car tax is structured. If you want more the omv or the car's basic cost would go up. But now things have changed a lot including the car tax structure. No matter how basic the car is going to be it's expensive anyway since the intro of carbon tax. Now we see more globally car models with standard specs being offered that includes an array of safety features. A lot of cars now come standard with safety sense that's normally optional add-on cost for luxury brands of car. I mean these things dont come free of course it's going to cost car buyers. But to many they still see this as "should be there at no extra cost". Ppl will still say the brand doesnt offers much compared to the Koreans. But the thing is you buy car or are you buying gadgets? The gadgets novelty will wear off after the while worse is when it breaks down and you may or may not want to fix it.

Many brands cater to different car buyers. To dis a car brand just becos it sells the most cars around shows how much or how little you know about cars actually. To me it's same for many other things like household appliances. Where ppl have no idea first thing they will compare is brands. Followed by what function is there or isn't there. Basically ppl would want the so called best deal for their money. But buying a car is bit different. A lot of buyers simply dont care. They dont care about the complicated car tax structure. They dont care what the car can do or what gadgets are in there. They just want to know how much of their budget can get the best deal. Full stop.

You are paying a lot for a car but getting very little in return is becos of the car tax. That's why ppl kao peh about the gahment and kao bu how much the dealers make. But if you ask them to put money upfront and import the car on their own nobody is doing it. Want cheap want best want toa liap nee. Ppl should comprain less and learn to do more on their own. If cant, then keep quiet LLST.

Now this is what I called constructive discussion. There are people who use the topic to attack me. For what?

I agree with u the Koreans are not on par with the rest. They know this and use gadgets found in conti cars to attract buyers

↡ Advertisement