COE Bidding – 1st Round of April 2019

Carbon82

Here's a challenge for working adults: Say you have already saved the full amount of the COE, and ready to take on the bad debt of a car.

Which to buy to make the yoke of bad debt tolerable? Surely it's not worth your pain to get a bread and butter basic car with no character and unmemorable, right?

My choices, based on engine technology quality, practicality, drive "shiokness", affordability are:

For FWD: VW Golf GTI, Honda Civic Type R, SEAT Leon Cupra, Hyundai i30N, Skoda Superb, Lexus ES, VW Passat wagon, maybe new MB CLA shooting brake, maybe Renault Megane RS, maybe Mini Cooper S Clubman.

For RWD: BMW 330, Alfa Giulia Veloce, maybe BMW 430.

For AWD: Audi S3, Audi A4 wagon quattro, Audi A5 quattro, maybe Subaru WRX, maybe Subaru Levorg.

So, reward yourself if you have made the effort to save. But don't waste your opportunity if you are going to chase prices going up.

Totally agree. No point driving an uninspiring drive if it's going to be your ride for a while.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Here's a challenge for working adults: Say you have already saved the full amount of the COE, and ready to take on the bad debt of a car.

Which to buy to make the yoke of bad debt tolerable? Surely it's not worth your pain to get a bread and butter basic car with no character and unmemorable, right?

My choices, based on engine technology quality, practicality, drive "shiokness", affordability are:

For FWD: VW Golf GTI, Honda Civic Type R, SEAT Leon Cupra, Hyundai i30N, Skoda Superb, Lexus ES, VW Passat wagon, maybe new MB CLA shooting brake, maybe Renault Megane RS, maybe Mini Cooper S Clubman.

For RWD: BMW 330, Alfa Giulia Veloce, maybe BMW 430.

For AWD: Audi S3, Audi A4 wagon quattro, Audi A5 quattro, maybe Subaru WRX, maybe Subaru Levorg.

So, reward yourself if you have made the effort to save. But don't waste your opportunity if you are going to chase prices going up.

Everyone has different priorities in Life.

If driving is your passion, just do it. YOLO

Some prefers to spend on children or holidays or Retire Early. A car is just a transport to buy time

• Praise 2

the monthly COE quota from May to July are 3,300  for CAT A and 2,900 for CAT B respectively.  But the monthly  COE revalidation for Jan and Feb are as follows :

CAT A               CAT B

JAN           2,725                2,589

FEB           2,534                2,126

while not all the revalidations are due to COE expiry, if the trend continues, we can imagine how it will impact the amount of COEs available for reallocation. 

Number of COE re validation is significant, this takes away new car sale from AD.

4.7k / 60k = 8% of annual car sale.

About 63k cars coe expiring this year, meaning about 5.2k monthly to be deregistered on average

Figure drop to 35k expiring next year. (45% drop)

Already 10k coe extended during 1st 2 months of 2019

With many many renew in Mar- Apr (i guesstimate at least 20k+ to 30k cars), not much left for the rest of the months to be recycled

My Coe expire in 6months, i already renewed NOW in Apr

If my coe expire within next 12 months and i have the intention to renew, i will also renew now.

5 more days of window for those considering

AD could lose 17% of car sales in 2019, mainly due to re-validations. 

High overheads in AD and escalating COE prices is the main contributing factor.

^Based on the data charts. 10k car revalidated out of 60k annual car sales.

I just made LTA richer by $35.4k today.

LTA richer by 58k (35.4 + 22.5k parf) 

• Praise 2

If the PIs are nimble and smart enough to offer more assurance to car buyers, they may be able to take a big bite out of ADs' business when the quota becomes smaller.

• Praise 1

Never had any problems for parts. Old mercs are the best to keep if you need good part supply

On my ride, i fixed the Electronic Steering Lock (ESL greenkey) issues at a local workshop, reasonable and promptly fixed in 4 hrs.

Number of COE re validation is significant, this takes away new car sale from AD.

4.7k / 60k = 8% of annual car sale.

AD could lose 17% of car sales in 2019, mainly due to re-validations.

High overheads in AD and escalating COE prices is the main contributing factor.

^Based on the data charts. 10k car revalidated out of 60k annual car sales.

LTA richer by 58k (35.4 + 22.5k parf)

One month about 4.7k revalidation, if the 60k you quoted is the number of car die to scrap, then the monthly recycle at is closed to 5k. 4.7k over 5k meaning not many COE will be left for bidding soon.

One month about 4.7k revalidation, if the 60k you quoted is the number of car die to scrap, then the monthly recycle at is closed to 5k. 4.7k over 5k meaning not many COE will be left for bidding soon.

i will be waiting to see the numbers for coe revalidation for Apr2019..imagine if its more than the monthly quota, really 1st time in history.

then if monthly coe quota available reach below 100, really will shoot through the roof

i will be waiting to see the numbers for coe revalidation for Apr2019..imagine if its more than the monthly quota, really 1st time in history.

then if monthly coe quota available reach below 100, really will shoot through the roof

Revalidations will increase that is for sure. But quota available wont reach below 100 because not the entire 4.7k revalidated COEs are due in the same month, some are a few months to even a year left, those will not affect the coming quarter COE reallocation. However if the trend continues, then the moving window effect will set in. Edited by Ct3833

Perhaps, less people buy new car.

Those whom re-validated will not need to go showroom anymore.