2020 8th Generation Hyundai Sonata (DN8)

Carbon82

On 12/22/2019 at 4:54 PM, Daniu82 said:

Sonata is really rare breed on the roads now, you think if KMC will take the risk again? I don't think so.

Yeah... but Optima even rarer... at least I have seen other cars other than my own Sonata... but the same generation Optima I only seen once... and the facelift Sonata for my model I have seen twice only... but never seen any for the facelift Optima...

I think Komoco will bring in and see how it pans out... but I won't be surprised if they don't... cos my SE was saying to me some months back that he doesn't know how they will sell any Sonata since it came with a lot of standard features which would drive the price up.... anything above $125K would be a hard sell.... for my model, most were bought during the COE crash for Cat B and selling for between $103K for the base trim and $113K for the sunroof trim... I missed that and bought at $121K... so mine is like some of the last few that were registered...

So I'm just waiting... he told me Oct there will be a global launch... but till now, no news in Singapore...

↡ Advertisement

3 hours ago, Cheefarn said:

I would dig the new Optima more than the Sonata. Both are sisters so mech they are the same

image.thumb.png.cbead56a2556853e0bd4816dcd4513e0.png

image.thumb.png.1d7ad293b00b4172211ddcbc2ecee6ab.png

image.thumb.png.ed7c8abea31ef7173c1939b19ed08b97.png

Yeah it looks sharper... but that's cos of how Hyundai and Kia have agreed to carve up the pie... Hyundai is the more executive brand, while Kia will be the more sporty brand... they use Audi as the benchmark for both brands... anyway the past Optima also had a nicer front from the Sonata... I bought Sonata cos when I was ready to put down my money, the Optima was very poorly specced for more money and with the rather silly terms from C&C, my choice was clear lar...

I don't think Optima will ever see the light of day in Singapore... but Sonata maybe got chance...

• Praise 1

On 12/20/2019 at 12:28 PM, ferrytales said:

doubt kmc will bring in the top n line, look at the sales of i30 n line or stinger and how often do you even see them on the roads. no one is gonna spend that kind of money in sg when you can get a conti (probably a4/a5/c class mercs/etc) at that pricing. 

over here in sg, its all about face.

drive a stinger vs driving a bare bone c class mercs, people will still think you are more uppz with the mercs despite stinger probably smoking the mercs in terms of performance and space. 

The stinger is a major failure for cnc. Wonder how much they lose on this model?

2 hours ago, RogerNg_185295 said:

The stinger is a major failure for cnc. Wonder how much they lose on this model?

It's a halo product... so I don't think it was ever a numbers game... 

• Praise 2

On 12/24/2019 at 2:37 PM, RogerNg_185295 said:

The Stinger wasn't expected to be sold in large numbers to begin with. Even in North america and Europe where cars are essential items, The Stinger sales wasn't good. 

Yes it is a halo product for the Hyundai group. To test the global market how the public would accept 4.9 secs century sprint Korean 'junk car' as so to speak. 

The Sonata/Optima are designed to be mass market models. 

• Praise 2

On 12/24/2019 at 2:04 PM, teomingern said:

Yeah... but Optima even rarer... at least I have seen other cars other than my own Sonata... but the same generation Optima I only seen once... and the facelift Sonata for my model I have seen twice only... but never seen any for the facelift Optima...

I think Komoco will bring in and see how it pans out... but I won't be surprised if they don't... cos my SE was saying to me some months back that he doesn't know how they will sell any Sonata since it came with a lot of standard features which would drive the price up.... anything above $125K would be a hard sell.... for my model, most were bought during the COE crash for Cat B and selling for between $103K for the base trim and $113K for the sunroof trim... I missed that and bought at $121K... so mine is like some of the last few that were registered...

So I'm just waiting... he told me Oct there will be a global launch... but till now, no news in Singapore...

BS la. Camry and Accord are priced at over 150k and both BM and KM still brings them in. Yes the Accord we have is too low specced and tiny engined, but the car did end up here. 

The Sonata 1.6T max spec can be priced close to 150k and it will beat the shit outta the 2 models above anytime. 

The greatest enemy for the Sonata are the SUV actually, not so much of the price. People would rather pay $150k for a smaller and poor spec crossover rather than a full spec big power large sedan. 

At the end of the day, its really up to Komoco and C n C to market the cars. Strip them down bare and real car guys will ignore the models, hence no sale. Blur, brand snobs will opt for overpriced and low end SUVs and crossovers from the Europe brands anyway. See how common the GLA180 are despite looking so cheap and bare in the cabin? And awful 1.5L 3 cyln engine? And it cost over 160k

Komoco and C n C clientele are existing Japs and Korean cars owners. Sorento do sell well despite it costing 150k too and a heady $2200 pa diesel road tax. 

On 12/24/2019 at 2:08 PM, teomingern said:

I don't think Optima will ever see the light of day in Singapore... but Sonata maybe got chance...

News from overseas is that Optima will only be built in left-hand drive. 

So will not even be available for SG to import.

1 hour ago, Cheefarn said:

BS la. Camry and Accord are priced at over 150k and both BM and KM still brings them in. Yes the Accord we have is too low specced and tiny engined, but the car did end up here. 

The Sonata 1.6T max spec can be priced close to 150k and it will beat the shit outta the 2 models above anytime. 

The greatest enemy for the Sonata are the SUV actually, not so much of the price. People would rather pay $150k for a smaller and poor spec crossover rather than a full spec big power large sedan. 

At the end of the day, its really up to Komoco and C n C to market the cars. Strip them down bare and real car guys will ignore the models, hence no sale. Blur, brand snobs will opt for overpriced and low end SUVs and crossovers from the Europe brands anyway. See how common the GLA180 are despite looking so cheap and bare in the cabin? And awful 1.5L 3 cyln engine? And it cost over 160k

Komoco and C n C clientele are existing Japs and Korean cars owners. Sorento do sell well despite it costing 150k too and a heady $2200 pa diesel road tax. 

Merc gla class can be bought thru pi..

Range 120k thereabout thus the popularity. Its still a decent 3 pointed. Even cheaper than new a class. Thus the sales is good.

On 12/26/2019 at 8:16 AM, Cheefarn said:

See how common the GLA180 are despite looking so cheap and bare in the cabin? And awful 1.5L 3 cyln engine? And it cost over 160k

You got your engines mixed up. 

Interested and watching this space for news on:

a) Optima K5 GT: don't exist (yet).

b) Sonata N-Line: the front and rear fascias should be different from regular Sonata.

6 hours ago, Toeknee_33 said:

You got your engines mixed up. 

Spot on. I thought GLA180 currently selling is 1.6L, 4cylinders, and the latest new model using the Renault developed 1.3L engine. 4 cylinders too, IIRC.

At $150K, you have so many options for Mercedes, BMW & Audi... yes you get a much smaller car but you get a premium brand... that matters a lot for Singaporeans... that's the reality. And that's also why both the Camry & Accord hardly sells... bringing in the car or not is dependent on whether you can even price it correctly to sell it on the market... no one will buy a Sonata at $150K unless the alternatives are a good $20-30K more... and you have no other options... but the German big 3 and PIs have conspired to eat up this part of the pie...

• Praise 4

22 hours ago, Tarmac said:

Interested and watching this space for news on:

a) Optima K5 GT: don't exist (yet).

b) Sonata N-Line: the front and rear fascias should be different from regular Sonata.

Same same bro... but unfortunately I am not optimistic we will see either model in Singapore... just can read reviews, see videos and maybe rent it overseas for a blast... ha ha...

1 hour ago, teomingern said:

At $150K, you have so many options for Mercedes, BMW & Audi... yes you get a much smaller car but you get a premium brand... that matters a lot for Singaporeans... that's the reality. And that's also why both the Camry & Accord hardly sells... bringing in the car or not is dependent on whether you can even price it correctly to sell it on the market... no one will buy a Sonata at $150K unless the alternatives are a good $20-30K more... and you have no other options... but the German big 3 and PIs have conspired to eat up this part of the pie...

True, due to now have GLA and CLA mercs, i believe many people would rather buy mercs than jap/korea cars if prices are about the same. 

1 hour ago, teomingern said:

So true and it has been like this for years. If one sits in a $150k accord/camry/sonata, and $150K german, can straight-away tell where the money goes to. The equivalent german would be some 40-50% more, but who cares, end of day as much as one can live in denial, the badge does matter to most.

I still think it is not worth bringing this new model to Singapore (as Sonata is not positioned to be another cheap car). Just a waste of time and effort trying to convince deep-grained mindset. Only time to bring in is when Korean car brands have reached Samsung-equivalent international status (think in US there is a chance for them to achieve that). Not that our mindset have changed by then, but more because it would by then, be able to bland well into brand conscious mentality.

Edited by Alfc

I am sure the N-Line will sell if it came with DSG and price at the current level .

Only need to placate the current i30 owners for the DSG and it should go well.

The stinger has got decent specs but still cant sell, imo mainly because of the badge status. And if decently spec, then why still need to be cheap? Back to square-one.

↡ Advertisement