2020 8th Generation Hyundai Sonata (DN8)

Carbon82

3 hours ago, Alfc said:

The stinger has got decent specs but still cant sell, imo mainly because of the badge status. And if decently spec, then why still need to be cheap? Back to square-one.

Exactly lor... ha ha... I was in Australia recently and I certainly saw more Hyundais on the road...and over there it's not a budget option but a competitive option... we're too small to affect market perception globally where cars are concerned... so we just get scraps... heh....

↡ Advertisement

4 hours ago, teomingern said:

Exactly lor... ha ha... I was in Australia recently and I certainly saw more Hyundais on the road...and over there it's not a budget option but a competitive option... we're too small to affect market perception globally where cars are concerned... so we just get scraps... heh....

I agree with you that Hyundai /Kia has gone from basement bargain to budget choice to competitive option in 30 years. They have done well in moving towards market leadership. In some European markets their cars actually command a small premium over the equivalent Conti/Jap offerings. The Santa Fe/Sorento siblings dominate the large non-premium SUV segment there with a 50 percent market share. 

• Praise 1

12 hours ago, Toeknee_33 said:

I agree with you that Hyundai /Kia has gone from basement bargain to budget choice to competitive option in 30 years. They have done well in moving towards market leadership. In some European markets their cars actually command a small premium over the equivalent Conti/Jap offerings. The Santa Fe/Sorento siblings dominate the large non-premium SUV segment there with a 50 percent market share. 

I can see the Telluride and Palisade doing the same in the US... the Telluride in particular has very good reviews from many websites from the US... luxury option at non-luxury prices apparently...

• Praise 2

On 12/28/2019 at 12:46 PM, teomingern said:

Same same bro... but unfortunately I am not optimistic we will see either model in Singapore... just can read reviews, see videos and maybe rent it overseas for a blast... ha ha...

Remember kmc once brought in the genesis? It's a complete failure. 

1 hour ago, RogerNg_185295 said:

Remember kmc once brought in the genesis? It's a complete failure. 

It might not fail if it was a 2.0t. Sinkies like myself see 3.3cc or was that 3.8cc back then when offered, shit in pants liao when knowing the high road taxes cum super poor fc that genesis was.

But mind u, the specs of that ride offered back then beats the e classes n 5 series base models to even the e250 and 530i then. That genesis interior was dam good too.

Too bad like all sinkies, i din choose that ridr coz of the above reasons plus its a korean not conti.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

19 hours ago, teomingern said:

I can see the Telluride and Palisade doing the same in the US... the Telluride in particular has very good reviews from many websites from the US... luxury option at non-luxury prices apparently...

The Palisade is coming to SG FYI. It will have a choice of 2.2L CRDi from the Sorento and 3.8L GDI V6. Will it fail since it will be too lux and too well built for a Hyundai ?

7 minutes ago, Cheefarn said:

The Palisade is coming to SG FYI. It will have a choice of 2.2L CRDi from the Sorento and 3.8L GDI V6. Will it fail since it will be too lux and too well built for a Hyundai ?

That car is huge, wonder how they gonna squeeze into those lots at certain mscp or malls. 

If Komoco does bring in these higher spec cars, they may just price it according to how they positioned them in the global markets - as competitors and not budget / cheap alternatives. If they don't sell, so be it as this would be part of a difficult brand building journey. 

38 minutes ago, ferrytales said:

That car is huge, wonder how they gonna squeeze into those lots at certain mscp or malls. 

That would be the least of the problems la. If G class and Fortuner can do it, so can the Palisade

On 12/29/2019 at 5:24 PM, Spurman said:

It might not fail if it was a 2.0t. Sinkies like myself see 3.3cc or was that 3.8cc back then when offered, shit in pants liao when knowing the high road taxes cum super poor fc that genesis was.

But mind u, the specs of that ride offered back then beats the e classes n 5 series base models to even the e250 and 530i then. That genesis interior was dam good too.

Too bad like all sinkies, i din choose that ridr coz of the above reasons plus its a korean not conti.

Yeah, the crazy 3.8 L - no one will buy...

On 12/30/2019 at 9:27 AM, Cheefarn said:

That would be the least of the problems la. If G class and Fortuner can do it, so can the Palisade

I think both the Palisade and Telluride are larger ley...

Guys, I have checked with the respective AD SE at the Motorshow.

C&C SE: The SE told me they have no plan to bring in the new Optima as now is SUV market.

KMC SE: Yes, they will bring in the 2L version and with the many features towards the end of this year. They will not bring in the 1.6T. While hearing this, I hope they will bring in the 2L Hybrid too as the performance is not anywhere less than the 1.6T. Yes, road tax will be higher but FC wise should have easily contra.

Edited by lun71
  • Praise 2

On 1/14/2020 at 4:57 PM, lun71 said:

Guys, I have checked with the respective AD SE at the Motorshow.

C&C SE: The SE told me they have no plan to bring in the new Optima as now is SUV market.

KMC SE: Yes, they will bring in the 2L version and with the many features towards the end of this year. They will not bring in the 1.6T. While hearing this, I hope they will bring in the 2L Hybrid too as the performance is not anywhere less than the 1.6T. Yes, road tax will be higher but FC wise should have easily contra.

I think the better fuel consumption can only partially offset the much higher road tax. Unless you drive more than 1000 km per week, the difference isn't going to be much especially with our city driving. I have in the past used the difference in car price plus fuel savings to find if the fuel savings work out for hybrid versus non-hybrid but the numbers don't work out leh...

Anyway great to know we get the Sonata here! Just got to wait long long...

Edited by teomingern
  • Praise 1

21 hours ago, teomingern said:

I think the better fuel consumption can only partially offset the much higher road tax. Unless you drive more than 1000 km per week, the difference isn't going to be much especially with our city driving. I have in the past used the difference in car price plus fuel savings to find if the fuel savings work out for hybrid versus non-hybrid but the numbers don't work out leh...

Anyway great to know we get the Sonata here! Just got to wait long long...

I have ever driven a 2.4L NA before. Most of my daily drive to be city than highway. Hence I clearly know how a bigger engine can really drink :) Saw the korea review of the hybrid version on youtube. We are talking about 21km/l for city drive which is really good.

Apart from FC, I guess based on current VES, the hybrid version would get a rebate while the normal 2L NA would either on neutral band or a surcharge. So the price difference between the two wouldn't be great I guess. Its just like the current Camry Hybrid selling by PIs with comes with a VES rebate versus Borneo selling NA.

And lastly the performance between the two variants. The 2L NA would only generate 160+ horses versus the hybrid with 190+ horses on the combination of engine and EV. 

Well well well, all hope is hope and will only come to light when KMC really bring in. :) 

On 12/28/2019 at 12:44 PM, teomingern said:

At $150K, you have so many options for Mercedes, BMW & Audi... yes you get a much smaller car but you get a premium brand... that matters a lot for Singaporeans... that's the reality. And that's also why both the Camry & Accord hardly sells... bringing in the car or not is dependent on whether you can even price it correctly to sell it on the market... no one will buy a Sonata at $150K unless the alternatives are a good $20-30K more... and you have no other options... but the German big 3 and PIs have conspired to eat up this part of the pie...

just look at Hyundai Santa Fe.

Its priced at 149K and 172K (with sunroof) still got ppl buy. 

with a Profit Margin of 20.5% and 19.5% respectively 

Edited by Lchong

On 1/19/2020 at 1:20 AM, Lchong said:

just look at Hyundai Santa Fe.

Its priced at 149K and 172K (with sunroof) still got ppl buy. 

with a Profit Margin of 20.5% and 19.5% respectively 

I thought only mata buy Santa Fe to use?

↡ Advertisement