2020 8th Generation Hyundai Sonata (DN8)

Carbon82

We are assuming its 150k.

With 250hp from the 2T...century sprints comes in at 6.5s only for the current LF sonata.

I would gladly pay 150k for this instead of near 150k for a mazda 6 2.5 or any low end conti models

If priced at $150,000,Buyers will said why not fork out a bit more get the Stinger 2.0.?RWD somemore. [thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement

If priced at $150,000,Buyers will said why not fork out a bit more get the Stinger 2.0.?RWD somemore. [thumbsup]

I tend to believe more people will say why pay $150k for a Korean car.... haha...

• Praise 1

I tend to believe more people will say why pay $150k for a Korean car.... haha...

This is true for Kia Stinger 2.0....Buyers rather paid a bit more for a Mercedes Benz C180...

This is true for Kia Stinger 2.0....Buyers rather paid a bit more for a Mercedes Benz C180...

This a bit is very subjective. It's not that you get exactly the same thing in a C180 as the Stinger plus a bit more for topping up. One has to give up some stuff (which can be substantial) and top up a bit for a C180.

This is typically something that "a bit more" fails to address.

• Praise 1

Which incidentally uses the same 2L Turbo Theta II engine too. Hyundai engineers just turn the engine to NS direction in the Stinger

Can C180 outrun the stinger, esp at the traffic lights? Or does it have the kind of equipment and specs as the Stinger?

jap designer should be afraid. Be very afraid.

Sedans are a dying breed worldwide anyway. And if u go to Japan, u can see that other than the Taxis, most cars over there are hatches or MPVs, or SUVs. So I doubt the Japs brands would be too worried. 

This a bit is very subjective. It's not that you get exactly the same thing in a C180 as the Stinger plus a bit more for topping up. One has to give up some stuff (which can be substantial) and top up a bit for a C180.

This is typically something that "a bit more" fails to address.

Exactly and this 'pay a bit more' is also very flexible... could be $20,000 to $30,000 for a base model entry level German brand... and it's still a bit more...

Sedans are a dying breed worldwide anyway. And if u go to Japan, u can see that other than the Taxis, most cars over there are hatches or MPVs, or SUVs. So I doubt the Japs brands would be too worried.

I won't say that... maybe for some markets... but not all... in Singapore, the sedan still sells best... in terms of overall numbers...

In terms of performance, the true competitor to the Kia Stinger 3.3 GT is the BMW 540i leh...

That one costs double that the Kia Stinger GT.

sedans still got alot of loyals buyers ba.

my house hold includes my bro all sedans.

5 of them, including their old cars also sedans.

(civic, ls250 sonata, tenna)

(expect 1 mazda 5 for a short while )

we use to own 3 sonata (old taxi vesion),

still got 2 running with extended coe,

really solid car, body metal damn thick , 

accident with jap car normally  come out as winner.

engine and parts damn stable and lasting,

only downside is drink petrol. [;)]

dun know if the 2020 vesion is rwd 

• Praise 1

accident with jap car normally  come out as winner.

It will be FWD la. 

Anyway whatever shit that happens in SG doesn't concern the manufacturers a single bit. Our nonsensical policies and tax structures are at complete odds with automotive tech advancement. I mean how in the hell did modern high tech engines with DI, ultra high compression etc ended up CEVS penalty where old antiques with simple port FI doesn't?  

And that 130hp tip over point is at complete odds with today's automotive designs where vehicles get bigger, wider, longer and more POWERFUL with each generation change. 

• Praise 1

accident with jap car normally come out as winner.

Wow! Loyal sedan buyers... won't be RWD bro... they have the Genesis brand to take care of that segment... yes I drove that Sonata before in US... 2.4 L NA... really quiet and comfortable, especially for cruising on the US highways (was there for hols in LA)...
  • Praise 1

It will be FWD la.

Anyway whatever shit that happens in SG doesn't concern the manufacturers a single bit. Our nonsensical policies and tax structures are at complete odds with automotive tech advancement. I mean how in the hell did modern high tech engines with DI, ultra high compression etc ended up CEVS penalty where old antiques with simple port FI doesn't?

And that 130hp tip over point is at complete odds with today's automotive designs where vehicles get bigger, wider, longer and more POWERFUL with each generation change.

High compression petrol engines produces significantly more particulate pollutants which are being blamed for most health problems in all major cities... this is clear cut research over the past 3 decades of European diesel policies... so our current policies reflect the current research which is to say that particulate pollutants should taxed most heavily...

130 bhp was designed as the limit for Category A COEs cos the premium brands were encroaching onto the Category A COE and people like you and I would have almost zero chance of owning a car in this Category A since the COE would top $90,000... no one who buys in the Category A segment would want the premium brands to push us prices would they? Anyway with the changing tech landscape it's obvious that policies need to be updated more frequently... won't be surprised to see a revision in a few years' time...

Edited by teomingern

High compression petrol engines produces significantly more particulate pollutants which are being blamed for most health problems in all major cities... this is clear cut research over the past 3 decades of European diesel policies... so our current policies reflect the current research which is to say that particulate pollutants should taxed most heavily...

130 bhp was designed as the limit for Category A COEs cos the premium brands were encroaching onto the Category A COE and people like you and I would have almost zero chance of owning a car in this Category A since the COE would top $90,000... no one who buys in the Category A segment would want the premium brands to push us prices would they? Anyway with the changing tech landscape it's obvious that policies need to be updated more frequently... won't be surprised to see a revision in a few years' time...

That was classic fear mongering tactics used by LTA. The fact that Cat B COE prices didnt shoot way up these days speaks alot about the validity of such claims in real life. 

But high tech engines are here to stay. So in theory every car sold in SG will kenna CEVS penalty in time to come...when those antique engines simply couldn't meet say, Euro 7 standards or something. Big income for our gov again. More tech, more penalty...  [laugh]  [:p]

I think some ppl need to do some reading.

The reason why direct fuel injection engines are not favoured over port fuel injection engines is due to more particulates produced at the exhaust. Much like the particulates diesel engine produce they are harmful to our health. Something car makers fail to mention. They only market the good stuff. LTA/NEA knows it cos when they do new car holomogation using their test equipement the figures don't lie.

Direct Fuel Injection engines produces more harmful particulates dan multi port fuel injectiopn engines(MPI).

One misconception is that ppl think direct fuel injection is something new. No it's not. It's used way back in motorsports when Audi is still called Auto Union and when first used in mass production cars it was the merc sls with the gull wing doors back in the 60s.

The Japanese are familiar with all these engine developements and they are reluctant to use direct fuel injection engine becos at engine idling speeds its pollution is at its highest becos the combustion is at its most inefficient becos of the large amount of unburn fuel. That's where some car makers intro the engine start/stop at traffic lights. To eliminate the above but drivers choose to off it making it redundant.

The Japanese introduced both MPI and DFI in their engines to get the best of both worlds. MPI mode in lower engine loads and DFI at higher engine loads. Toyota can even alter the engine Otto cycle to Atkinson cycle at low engine loads. Making their engines even more efficient.

Not all car buyers are into horsepower that most car makers try to sell as their selling point. End of the day most car buyers want low running cost and low fuel bill. I see some ppl buy high hp SUV and rant about the disappointing fuel economy. It's either you choose high hp and forget about fuel economy or choose a boring/predictable car for fuel efficiency and low running cost. Dont be fooled by what others say.

Edited by Watwheels
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7