Malaysia launches project for ship-to-ship transfers

Windwaver

Anybody posted this?

PUBLISHED7 HOURS AGO
UPDATED1 HOUR AGO

Hazlin HassanMalaysia Correspondent 

PUTRAJAYA - Malaysia is developing a US$150 to US$180 million (S$204 million to S$244 million) project off Johor’s Port of Tanjung Pelepas to enable ships to transfer their cargo to other vessels without having to dock at the piers, in a move that officials say will allow higher shipping flexibility and cut costs for shippers.

The 1,200-ha facility, an area more than three times the size of Sentosa island, will be built in the Strait of Johor facing Tuas.

The project, in the Johor Baru port waters, is billed as the “world’s biggest” ship-to-ship (STS) transfer facility. It will be able to accommodate up to 30 vessels at one time.

Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad witnessed the project’s signing ceremony on Tuesday (April 2) in Putrajaya, involving Malaysian maritime services company KA Petra and Hong Kong-based port operator Hutchison Ports.

KA Petra on its website says ship-to-ship transfer involves “cargo transfer operations between 2 seagoing vessels, either while stationary or underway.” 

The new hub will have man-made “dolphin” mooring structures to berth vessels without the need for piers or docks, and at lower costs for shippers.

Hutchison Ports, which will take a 30 per cent stake in the project, is among the biggest port operators in the world and owns a stake in Port Klang. 

Tun Mahathir, asked at a news conference later, said the project won’t encroach into Singapore waters.

Malaysia plans 'ship-to-ship hub' in Johor Baru port waters, raising hackles in Johor
He also took a swipe at the Johor crown prince, Tunku Ismail Sultan Ibrahim, who had posted on his Facebook claims by a non-governmental organisation that Johoreans did not know about the project, and that the federal government keeping the Johor state government in the dark.

“This project has been discussed over a long time. There were problems we had when Singapore said we are encroaching. We are not encroaching. We are in our waters and I think this is public knowledge,” he told a news conference after the signing ceremony.

PM 'puzzled' why TMJ unaware of upcoming JB ship-to-ship hub

“So if people don’t know, well I don’t have to go around telling people one by one, do you know or not, do you know or not,” he said.

“Singapore knows about this, they had contested (and) we had showed them that this is in Malaysian waters, not in Singapore waters,” he added.

The question about possible encroachment into Singapore waters was asked as Singapore and Malaysia are involved in a maritime dispute in the Strait of Johor, sparked by Malaysia’s decision to extend the Johor Baru port limits last Oct 25.

On Dec 6 last year, Singapore also extended its port limits to the full extent of its territorial waters.

The tense stand-off saw a promised turnaround in March, when both countries agreed to jointly suspend their overlapping port claims as a step to begin talks to delimit the maritime boundary in the area.

But Foreign Minister Vivian Balakrishnan said on Monday (April 1) that two Malaysian government vessels remain anchored in disputed waters off Tuas, a fortnight after Singapore and Putrajaya jointly agreed to suspend the overlapping port claims.
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

Doesn't matter what they build lah. Even if u free gift changi airport to crooked doc & his cronies, they'll make a mess outta it and run it to the ground...

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

If I am that old I will just enjoy life and wait peacefully for my time.. bring so much hatred to grave for what..

• Praise 4

TMJ is scathing on Putrajaya's decision on this ship-to-ship transfer facility. Some Johoreans are pushing for a break-away from Malaysia and hopes Sarawak and Sabah joins them. Dont know if its good or bad news for us....

Actually with all these heavy activities around tuas, how come our desalination plant also put there?

Er, tuas desalination plant there a long time liao. Then Dr M wants this project and say we say they encroaching.

U know we know they know, just creating trouble. Scare we build further out. Not as though we know they planning this b4 our own plant was up. If they can, they will build another airport too....Hehe...hopefully they remember to get rid of rats first.

Safe ride

Cheers

• Praise 1

and I tot (hearsay)  Penang also wanted to break off too

TMJ is scathing on Putrajaya's decision on this ship-to-ship transfer facility. Some Johoreans are pushing for a break-away from Malaysia and hopes Sarawak and Sabah joins them. Dont know if its good or bad news for us....

• Praise 3

Twincharged

and I tot (hearsay)  Penang also wanted to break off too

the federation doesn't work. those that pay a huge protection money never get any benefits. Sabah and Sarawak oil money didnt benefit them much.

• Praise 1

and I tot (hearsay) Penang also wanted to break off too

Dont think Pulau Penang can do that! Its in their constitution......Pulau Penang doesnt have a monarch, unlike Trengganu, Kedah, Kelantan, Johore, Perlis, Negeri Sembilan and Pahang since the agreement were done between the Kings and Putrajaya on forming Malaysia as a single entity. Penang position is like Hong kong......no rulers so stucked with the central government no matter what.

the federation doesn't work. those that pay a huge protection money never get any benefits. Sabah and Sarawak oil money didnt benefit them much.

It only didnt worked under atok......the rest were rather fair to these states. Najib new this thats why he built highways in Kelantan, Trengganu and the Pan Borneo Highway (no toll). He even started the ECRL which would have benefitted Kelantan, Trengganu and Pahang but then atok came in and started the cycle of taking again.

About three-ish years ago i had a meeting with an insurer in Malaysia and reps of the proposed Malacca port development. They too were planning on making it an STS hub.

Wonder what happened to that idea....

↡ Advertisement