Six-year-old girl dies after near-drowning in pool

Ysc3

Supersonic

What white tape? Stick where ? This I also never kenah...

But thinking back, it might have been good to get free swimming lessons last time.

White tape on the helmet when doing river crossing. You no see before? Lol.

What white tape? Stick where ? This I also never kenah...

But thinking back, it might have been good to get free swimming lessons last time.

white tape on helmet when river crossing.

Nobody is responsible for your own child's life except yourself, or your spouse.

Depending on the lifeguards on duty is just plain complacency.

Parents should always have their eyes on their kids when engaging high risk activity like swimming lessons in this case.

Totally tragic. No point blaming the parents as their loss is immense.

The lifeguards and instructor shld be held responsible as the safety and life of another has been entrusted to them.

This sends a clear message to any paid service providers that the duty of care is on them. Be it lifeguards, safety officers, gojek driver, etc.

Yes. I had near drowning incident when I was in primary school.

Couldn't feel the floor of the pool and panic set in. Struggled for what seemed like eternity and drank a lot of pool water.

Finally managed to regain control and i stood up and looked around. Nobody saw me struggling at all. Not even my father who was less than 5M away from me.

From then on I have always had phobia of swimming.

yes it is not easy to spot people in trouble in the water

usually there are no distress signals like splashing about or arms swinging wildly as opposed to what is seen on tv or media

drowning people are unusually silent and struggling just below the water surface....and it doesnt matter if you are a strong or weak swimmer once panic sets in

:mellow:

• Praise 2

Twincharged
(edited)

white tape on helmet when river crossing.

I completed river crossing ... No issues there... Only did not swim in the swimming pool.

Anyway, my BMT days were kinda cocked up... Non-swimmer... And still went to SNT for diver selection somemore....think they taking it too literally.

Edited by Ysc3

Couldn't feel the floor of the pool and panic set in. Struggled for what seemed like eternity and drank a lot of pool water.

Finally managed to regain control and i stood up and looked around. Nobody saw me struggling at all. Not even my father who was less than 5M away from me.

Scary. I will also hv phobia. U are v fortunate to be alive to share this episode.

Perhaps a sort of alarm siren thingy on one's wrist will help to draw attention to someone in distress or danger of drowning. Prevention always seem like kiasi or kiasu until it saves a life. Even the best swimmer can drown if cramps set in.

Thanks for sharing.

Safe ride and if u can overcome the phobia, swimming is a good way to exercise and relax. If you already done it, congrats!

Cheers

• Praise 3

Back then I didn't know how to swim independently, was just holding the swim board when it happened.

Till now I am still unable to overcome the phobia. I tend to panic when I try to swim and put my head in water.

The only water activity I do is walk in a pool at most 1.2M deep haha.

If you want to ask me about BMT swimming, yes I did manage to scrape through the test.

Scary. I will also hv phobia. U are v fortunate to be alive to share this episode.

Perhaps a sort of alarm siren thingy on one's wrist will help to draw attention to someone in distress or danger of drowning. Prevention always seem like kiasi or kiasu until it saves a life. Even the best swimmer can drown if cramps set in.

Thanks for sharing.

Safe ride and if u can overcome the phobia, swimming is a good way to exercise and relax. If you already done it, congrats!

Cheers

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Back then I didn't know how to swim independently, was just holding the swim board when it happened.

Till now I am still unable to overcome the phobia. I tend to panic when I try to swim and put my head in water.

The only water activity I do is walk in a pool at most 1.2M deep haha.

If you want to ask me about BMT swimming, yes I did manage to scrape through the test.

I would suggest you at least learn to float.  Never know when you need that skill. I was once in Mekong in a small sampan. Suddenly it rain so heavy even the lady rowing panic. The least you must not panic, stay afloat a d try to grap something to hold on to your dear life

• Praise 1

How you managed to made it through NS without learning how to swim ah?  [confused]

white tape on helmet lah, you dont have any non swimmers in your NS life before?

BMT requirement is to pass SOC, IPPT and RANGE, cannot swim is just cannot swim lor, why cannot make it through NS? :huh:

• Praise 3

Sometimes the kids dun listen. We tried teaching our kids to swim but they simply dun listen. End up we sent them for swimming lessons.

But learning to swim dun really need to attend lesson. I learnt to swim on my own but took quite awhile. I only know breast stroke and back stroke.

I learned to swim all 3 strokes without a coach, and made it to the school team. 

All I did was bought a pair of goggles, go to the pool almost everyday and hide under water to watch how the good swimmers swim, then try to follow how they do it.  Only stroke I received some tips was the butterfly, and it was from a friend.

So, I taught all my 3 kids how to swim when they were about 6-7 years old.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

But of course the condo pool helps a lot.

• Praise 3

Supersonic

white tape on helmet lah, you dont have any non swimmers in your NS life before?

BMT requirement is to pass SOC, IPPT and RANGE, cannot swim is just cannot swim lor, why cannot make it through NS? :huh:

Got see white tape on helmet la, but not sure if cannot swim can pass BMT or not. Cause i think back then if you cannot swim, must go through swimming lesson to learn swimming de, but dont remember if you can have the option dont want to learn or not?  [:p]

• Praise 1

(edited)

I learned to swim all 3 strokes without a coach, and made it to the school team.

All I did was bought a pair of goggles, go to the pool almost everyday and hide under water to watch how the good swimmers swim, then try to follow how they do it. Only stroke I received some tips was the butterfly, and it was from a friend.

So, I taught all my 3 kids how to swim when they were about 6-7 years old. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

But of course the condo pool helps a lot.

lying....

you go down to the base of the pool is to watch girls swimming...

dont smoke here.

first thing you learnt back then is to hold your breadth. the longer the merrier..

Edited by Kopites
  • Praise 6

lying....

you go down to the base of the pool is to watch girls swimming...

dont smoke here.

first thing you learnt back then is to hold your breadth. the longer the merrier..

• Praise 5

Supersonic

Any parent who can swim can teach their children themselves basic swimming, not need to throw their children to a class and play handphone themselves, just plain lazy.

If you're able to swim reasonably well; you should teach your kid at least survival swimming.

How to stay afloat in deep water.

And of cuz you need to be supervising them 100% of the time, until then.

• Praise 1

White tape on the helmet when doing river crossing. You no see before? Lol.

ha ha ha... reminds me:

during the RCOs, i will tell my section people, the non-swimmers better remember to tie white tape to the their helmets... and then ask them to help me tie too [laugh]

• Praise 3

Actually i also have a very very vague memory of falling into a pond when i was probably 5-6 yo. and then being pulled out of the water - dunno by who...

Later on, my mother will tell me it was Chinese Garden, and I was playful and was trying to maybe touch the fished in the pond...

and I didn't have much opportunities to go swimming when young, and didn't learn.

Then in JC, class outings saw classmates swam, i couldn't... si bey sian, and told myself that i should learn when got chance.

BMT also somehow survived that 25m so moved on. Later on just put white tape.

Then later on, in univ., went to the pool with friends to learn, and managed to pick up breast stroke and trap water.

Good enough liao...

When kids were around 3 and 5, told wife should let them learn swimming as a survival skill, and we did. Think it was a right choice - and the choice of the swimming teacher was important.

I recall at least for me during BMT, non-swimmers have to go for swimming lessons. Swimmers no need to go, I think got extra time to rest or something like that. But pass or not pass, they will make sure everybody POP. [laugh]

You're entirely correct! I couldn't swim (much), but that didn't stop them from letting me pass out, and post me to siong siong courses later... [bigcry]

↡ Advertisement