Six-year-old girl dies after near-drowning in pool

Ysc3

Last time I also go library borrow Bruce Lee's books to read but also cannot learn his kung fu. [laugh] [laugh]

Wow ... expert .. ! haha

:grin:  :XD:  :a-happy:

↡ Advertisement

I think there is one thing worth mentioning.  That is swimming in the pool and swimming in the open sea is very very different. A  good swimmer in the pool may become not so good when caught in the open water.  Even the occasionally swims at the beach is no way near to the open sea.

I always thought I am a strong swimmer, until some 10 years back when I was involved in some activities in the open sea that I realized I could actually disappear in a few short minutes. 

I was involved in the 9th month prayer to 九王爷, and was selected as one of the swimmers to push the burning paper boat out to the sea. We did it twice, once in 龙海 china, and once at our very own ECP. 

All I can say is the current at our own ECP is no joke, that was the first time I felt worried as a swimmer in water. I wasnt even worried at 龙海 even though we swam further out to the sea.  It was later during debrief when I brought up the subject that some one said, it is because our ECP also reclaim land, so we may seem not far from land, but actually we swam further out already...  :huh:  :wacko:  [laugh]  [laugh]  

• Praise 6

wah... all the infantry doing river crossing jin cham

luckily i 165kg sit 5 tonner cross river using bridge built by engineers

I think there is one thing worth mentioning.  That is swimming in the pool and swimming in the open sea is very very different. A  good swimmer in the pool may become not so good when caught in the open water.  Even the occasionally swims at the beach is no way near to the open sea.

I always thought I am a strong swimmer, until some 10 years back when I was involved in some activities in the open sea that I realized I could actually disappear in a few short minutes. 

I was involved in the 9th month prayer to 九王爷, and was selected as one of the swimmers to push the burning paper boat out to the sea. We did it twice, once in 龙海 china, and once at our very own ECP. 

All I can say is the current at our own ECP is no joke, that was the first time I felt worried as a swimmer in water. I wasnt even worried at 龙海 even though we swam further out to the sea.  It was later during debrief when I brought up the subject that some one said, it is because our ECP also reclaim land, so we may seem not far from land, but actually we swam further out already...  :huh:  :wacko:  [laugh]  [laugh]  

You are right.

in JC, as i was a non-swimmer, i didn't go on a trip to Desaru that my ECA club went to. when my friends came back, the normally-jovial lot was quite sombre when they narrated an incident when they were swimming off the coastline. One better swimmer swam a bit further out, when some current/wave started making it tough for him. One other went out to try to help, and both were caught out by the wave/current, and they spent a few min trying to swim back towards the coast but succeeded only in being swept further out. The rest of the chaps were helpless and couldn't do anything also, as those 2 were the best swimmers in the group...

According to the 2, they were panicking and quickly tiring out amidst the struggle, but luckily the wave/current somehow subsided, and they siezed the chance and managed to swim back...

• Praise 4

Turbocharged

My time no Swimming coach.

Whole bunch of kids, cousins, just go to pool. Age from 12-15. No adult supervision, no life guard. Condo pool. Just splash and try to move. One month later can swim breast stroke. Only stroke... doggie stroke not counter.

• Praise 1

true. 

I thought I was a decent swimmer. Then one day at Sentosa, dunno which beach got the square platform in the middle of the "lagoon". Me and friends swam there.... wah, damn freaking SHACK lor ......... And to think its sheltered with not much strong currents

• Praise 1

I think there is one thing worth mentioning. That is swimming in the pool and swimming in the open sea is very very different. A good swimmer in the pool may become not so good when caught in the open water. Even the occasionally swims at the beach is no way near to the open sea.

I was involved in the 9th month prayer to ä¹çç·, and was selected as one of the swimmers to push the burning paper boat out to the sea. We did it twice, once in é¾æµ· china, and once at our very own ECP.

All I can say is the current at our own ECP is no joke, that was the first time I felt worried as a swimmer in water. I wasnt even worried at é¾æµ· even though we swam further out to the sea. It was later during debrief when I brought up the subject that some one said, it is because our ECP also reclaim land, so we may seem not far from land, but actually we swam further out already... :huh::wacko:[laugh][laugh]

Yes indeed, I’ve done triathlon training at the ECP beach , always end up swimming slanted from the trajectory that we aim at and even worse when u are between 100’s of people all around you until visibility is zero and legs and arms kicking all over you, actually swimming pool is damn easy if compared to sea
  • Praise 1

Supersonic
(edited)

true.

I thought I was a decent swimmer. Then one day at Sentosa, dunno which beach got the square platform in the middle of the "lagoon". Me and friends swam there.... wah, damn freaking SHACK lor ......... And to think its sheltered with not much strong currents

This one is due to stamina than swimming skills la. Edited by 13177

white tape on helmet lah, you dont have any non swimmers in your NS life before?

BMT requirement is to pass SOC, IPPT and RANGE, cannot swim is just cannot swim lor, why cannot make it through NS? :huh:

my sadist PL SGT say "no swim weekend no book out !"  [bigcry]

suddenly whole platoon is 小飞鱼.

i would say as parent, should self teach basic thread water, followed by breast stroke. basic water survival.

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

I would suggest you at least learn to float. Never know when you need that skill. I was once in Mekong in a small sampan. Suddenly it rain so heavy even the lady rowing panic. The least you must not panic, stay afloat a d try to grap something to hold on to your dear life

Becos mekong is not about staying afloat, it's about staying alive :D

Judge is right, the 3 wankers "murdered" her! The poor child was a beginner....

When my boys starting learning, I was in the pool in the initial stages...

Sometimes choose where to learn also important. Many freelancers have cert but no system whatsoever. Switched them to a school and they have safety SOP.

The moment the instructor has 6 students in a group, signals a problem with his teaching system. A red flag.

The parents shld be more savvy in choosing the instructor.

Give me free lesson, I still won't put my kid with an instructor with 6 kids, especially when all can't swim.

A well seasoned and qualified instructor will tell you the max is 4 kids. And it's already not the most ideal.

I think there is one thing worth mentioning. That is swimming in the pool and swimming in the open sea is very very different. A good swimmer in the pool may become not so good when caught in the open water. Even the occasionally swims at the beach is no way near to the open sea.

I was involved in the 9th month prayer to ä¹çç·, and was selected as one of the swimmers to push the burning paper boat out to the sea. We did it twice, once in é¾æµ· china, and once at our very own ECP.

All I can say is the current at our own ECP is no joke, that was the first time I felt worried as a swimmer in water. I wasnt even worried at é¾æµ· even though we swam further out to the sea. It was later during debrief when I brought up the subject that some one said, it is because our ECP also reclaim land, so we may seem not far from land, but actually we swam further out already... :huh::wacko:[laugh][laugh]

No safety assessment done meh?

No issue of life vests or boats?

If something happens, who will be responsible?

• Praise 1

Nope.

No safety assessment.

no issue of life vest, no boats.

It was a yearly temple event, and the Master ( the Monk)  was there chanting for protection, we are suppose to be protected.

Religion event, accident was never in our mind, or rather anyone's mind. If you dont feel safe, you just back out, nobody ask any question. 

(edited)

edited: double post.

Edited by Tianmo

young children can drown without any struggle, it can happen right beside you and you won't even noticed it. My friend pulled up a young kid once right beside us and I didn't even notice it. My ex-colleague daughter drown as she was playing "who can hold breath longer under water" in shallow water. Holding breath under water could cause blackout.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2015/05/29/410331432/breath-holding-in-the-pool-can-spark-sudden-blackouts-and-death

• Praise 6

I did know how to float when I was young, until that incident happened.

Now I am just happy to keep my feet on the floor of the pool.

I would suggest you at least learn to float.  Never know when you need that skill. I was once in Mekong in a small sampan. Suddenly it rain so heavy even the lady rowing panic. The least you must not panic, stay afloat a d try to grap something to hold on to your dear life

Another case of six years old girl drowned at Sentosa

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/girl-6-drowned-sentosa-hotel-pool-because-no-adult-watching-her-coroner

Girl, 6, drowned in Sentosa hotel pool because no adult was watching her: Coroner

SINGAPORE –  The drowning of a six-year-old girl at Festive Hotel in Sentosa last year was due to a lack of adult supervision, the state coroner said on Monday (April 15).

Ms Kamala Ponnampalam said in her findings that an inquiry into the incident found no shortcomings in the design and maintenance of the hotel’s swimming pool.

Guests at the pool were sufficiently warned of the absence of lifeguards through prominently placed signages, she added.

Ms Kamala also noted that the paramedics from the Singapore Civil Defence Force were prompt, arriving within nine minutes of receiving the call for help, and that medical efforts to revive her were “unrelenting”.

But, she added: "What was singularly lacking was adult supervision."

She noted that the girl, Andrea Hailey Tan, who stood at 1.18 metres and was unable to swim, was left unattended in the adult swimming pool with a depth of 1.2 metres.

This is the second drowning incident in recent weeks to make headlines.

Earlier this month, the state coroner issued its findings on the drowning of another six-year-old girl. She had drowned at Kallang Basin Swimming Complex during a swimming lesson in January last year, when her coach had his back turned to her.

LEFT HER ALONE IN THE ADULT POOL

In the latest case, the court heard that Andrea was staying at the hotel at Resorts World Sentosa (RWS) with her grandmother, granduncle and his three-year-old son from Oct 6 to 8 last year.

Andrea’s father, Mr Tan Jui Yong, did not accompany them, after having dropped Andrea off at his mother’s house on Oct 5.

Before checking into the hotel, Andrea’s grandmother, Mdm Ong Kim Tee, had bought her granddaughter a swimming float.

At around 10am on Oct 7, Mr Ong Cheng Chye, Andrea’s granduncle, brought the children down to the kids’ swimming pool at the hotel.

The children were both equipped with their swimming floats around their torsos as they played in both the 0.5 metre-deep pool and the water play area, where the water went up to Andrea’s ankle.

Throughout this time, Andrea’s grandmother was at a shelter nearby.

At some point, Andrea’s granduncle decided to bring both children to the adults’ pool after ensuring they still had their swimming floats on.

The court heard that this was not the first time that Andrea had played in an adult pool. Andrea’s father said she had previously been accompanied by her granduncle at the adult swimming pool at Hotel Michael — another hotel at RWS. 

As the Festive Hotel pool was crowded, Mr Ong said he kept the children by the corner of the adult pool, which was next to a staircase.

After some time, Mr Ong decided to push his son across the length of the pool and brought him to the jacuzzi pool. He did not inform Andrea that they would be leaving her alone.

FLOAT NO SUBSTITUTE FOR ADULT SUPERVISION

Mdm Ong said she did not know that the Mr Ong had brought the children to the adult pool. Neither did he inform her that he would be leaving Andrea unattended.

During the investigation, Andrea’s granduncle said that he left her alone as he believed that she was able to swim without the assistance of a float.

He said that when they first began playing in the adult pool, he saw Andrea “floating above the floor of the pool” and immersing her face into the water to blow bubbles.

Mr Ong only realised something was wrong when he noticed Andrea’s grandmother standing by the side of the pool and shouting frantically for her to get out.

After running over, he found Andrea lying prone at the bottom of the pool. Her float had slipped off and drifted away.

Mr Ong immediately jumped in and brought her out, but her lips had already turned purple.

A bystander came forward to perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) on Andrea,while another guest retrieved the in-house Automated External Defibrillator from the towel booth.

The assistant front office manager at the hotel also administered CPR on Andrea until paramedics arrived and took her to Singapore General Hospital.

She was later transferred to KK Women's and Children's Hospital, but died 10 days later on Oct 17.

A doctor certified the cause of death as brain damage and pneumonia following near-drowning.

Ms Kamala said Andrea’s granduncle “held the mistaken belief” that she knew how to swim, and placed faith in the swimming float to keep her safe.

“A floatation device like a swimming float is not a substitute for constant, vigilant, adult supervision. The float may come dislodged and float away, leaving the child stranded,” she said.

She stressed that even if a child can swim, he or she must always be accompanied by an adult and “kept within arm's reach and in line of sight” as the risk of drowning is not completely removed.

Edited by Mahjong74
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3