Six-year-old girl dies after near-drowning in pool

Ysc3

Twincharged
mobile phones again ....

Six-year-old girl dies after near-drowning in pool with lifeguards, swimming instructor distracted

The state coroner criticised two lifeguards and a swimming instructor after a six-year-old girl, who did not know how to float or swim independently without support, died following a near-drowning at Kallang Basin Swimming Complex.

On Dec 20, 2017, little Sherlyn Ler was left to fend for herself for at least four minutes as she swam using a swimming board.

Her instructor, Mr Yeo Chwee Chuan, had led her to the pool's mid-point during her 7pm lesson before allowing the girl to swim to the edge.

But he then turned away to focus on his other students, aged six to eight years old.

Of the two lifeguards near the teaching pool, one was busy on his mobile phone while the other spent time arranging chairs.

In an inquiry into her death on Tuesday (April 2), State Coroner Kamala Ponnampalam said: "The lifeguard should not be distracted by the use of his personal devices or idle chit-chat.

"He should never leave his post unguarded. Drowning is known to occur quickly and quietly between 20 and 60 seconds."

She also noted several lapses in Mr Yeo's management of his lesson, saying his class formation was "poor".

"At several points in time, more than one student was out of his line of sight... Ideally, the child, especially one who is not an independent swimmer, should be within arm's reach," added the state coroner, who found Sherlyn's death a tragic misadventure.

Although the girl's mother was seated on a nearby platform to keep an eye on her daughter, she too became distracted by her phone and when she turned to speak to other people.

Moments after Mr Yeo turned his back, the 1.11m tall Sherlyn went under in a pool where the water's depth was between 0.8m and 1m.

She died in hospital on Jan 9 last year from a lack of oxygen and blood flowing to the brain following the near-drowning.

The Straits Times understands that Mr Yeo's coaching licence has been suspended by Sport SG and Mr Firdaus Rajatmarican and Mr Law Kum Wah, who left the pool unattended for at least four minutes, are no longer lifeguards.

It emerged at the hearing that at 7.05pm, Mr Firdaus, who had been watching over the training pool, asked Mr Law to take over his duty as he needed to use the washroom.

The state coroner said that closed-circuit television footage showed Mr Firdaus looking at his phone while Mr Law was arranging some chairs in the area.

At about 7.15pm, two girls in the pool noticed Sherlyn floating face up and alerted Mr Law.

Mr Law and Mr Yeo swam towards the girl and cardiopulmonary resuscitation was performed on her.

Paramedics arrived at the swimming complex at around 7.30pm and she was rushed to Tan Tock Seng Hospital, before being transferred to KK Women's and Children's Hospital the next day.

State Coroner Kamala said that according to Mr Garett Lim, who is a trainer of the Swimsafer programme at Sport SG, Sherlyn should not have been left to swim alone.

She was about 10m from her coach when the incident happened.

Mr Lim also said the swimming board is a poor flotation device which is not stable and may float away, leaving the child unaided.

The state coroner added: "Children, in particular, need constant supervision around water which cannot be done if the coach is not able to see them."

Sherlyn's family members were in court on Tuesday but they declined to comment.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

Swimming instructor better change job. Maybe cut grass.

Mr Firdaus is better off working in a HP shop. Have many phones to look at.

Mr Law I'd suggest you go hotel banquet. Lots of chairs to arrange.

• Praise 14

Hypersonic

2 lifeguards on duty and with swimming instructor, the small girl still drowned.

That’s FUBAR.

• Praise 3

Judge is right, the 3 wankers "murdered" her! The poor child was a beginner....

When my boys starting learning, I was in the pool in the initial stages...

Sometimes choose where to learn also important. Many freelancers have cert but no system whatsoever. Switched them to a school and they have safety SOP.

• Praise 1

It's hard being alert all the time for something like being a life guard. Not absolving the lifeguards of blame but that's a reality.

Maybe within ten years. All learning or public pools should have AI surveillance systems to detect distress.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Swimming instructor better change job. Maybe cut grass.

Mr Firdaus is better off working in a HP shop. Have many phones to look at.

Mr Law I'd suggest you go hotel banquet. Lots of chairs to arrange.

I wonder why Mr Law so hardworking, instead of following Mr Fridaus playing with phone, he is busy arranging chairs. Are arranging chairs part of their duties assigned or he just interested with chairs?

I think we should have some guides on swimming coaches and register them. Those using non registered or friends then it is another matter.

Twincharged
(edited)

I wonder why Mr Law so hardworking, instead of following Mr Fridaus playing with phone, he is busy arranging chairs. Are arranging chairs part of their duties assigned or he just interested with chairs?

I think we should have some guides on swimming coaches and register them. Those using non registered or friends then it is another matter.

Maybe Mr law sit there too long nothing to do and thus start to go find things do so that he will not get so bored. Usually its the case of say can sit there for a few hours staring at people swim and do nothing. It's like 99.9999% of the time nothing happen and just need that 0.0001% time something happened and then good game. Edited by Yewheng
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

It's hard being alert all the time for something like being a life guard. Not absolving the lifeguards of blame but that's a reality.

Maybe within ten years. All learning or public pools should have AI surveillance systems to detect distress.

actually 10 years ago already have pool distress detection systems in the market but seems like their reliability and accuracy never improve much...

This is tragic. I dont understand why parents hurry to send their children for swimming lesson. She was only 6 and not tall enough for 1.2m pool. Plus a 6 yr old child wont know the danger.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Totally tragic. No point blaming the parents as their loss is immense.

The lifeguards and instructor shld be held responsible as the safety and life of another has been entrusted to them.

This sends a clear message to any paid service providers that the duty of care is on them. Be it lifeguards, safety officers, gojek driver, etc.

• Praise 1

Mother also distracted. Why isnt the mother by her side? Six year old leh....

mum also distracted by hp ....

i want to wack the lifeguard playing with hp .

but when i read this, i dun know what to say ,....

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Did i read correctly one of the lifeguard was busy on phone? Lifeguard on duty can busy on phone de? It is a sad case, so many people around and none of them saw the girl was drowning.

Supersonic
(edited)

Judge is right, the 3 wankers "murdered" her! The poor child was a beginner....

When my boys starting learning, I was in the pool in the initial stages...

Sometimes choose where to learn also important. Many freelancers have cert but no system whatsoever. Switched them to a school and they have safety SOP.

Why just blame these 3 guys when there are so many other factors:

1. Swimming Instructor *1

2. Lousy mother *1

3. Lifeguards assigned to teaching pool *2 (this is very debatable also since 1 fellow went for toilet break and the other fellow was arranging chairs.

4. Swimming pool management *1 for not having enough lifeguards and for making lifeguards double up to keep the place clean/tidy. Otherwise why was the lifeguard arranging chairs?

Edited by Kusje
  • Praise 2

Supersonic

4 sets of eyes and none of them were paying attention.

3 sets of them are responsible for many people.

1 set only need to focus on one and she failed too.

• Praise 2