Another Starhub doozy

Neutrino

Supercharged
(edited)

My sil who has had fiber internet and phone for 9 years or so and had fiber TV installed last December had all her fiber connections fail a few days ago.  Nothing, nowt, zilch on TV, internet and phone.

A Starhub technician was at her HDB yesterday and diagnosed that the fiber signal strength was too great and the fiber termination point box could not cope with the high strength of signal and an Open net/Net Link will have to send a technician to sort it out.

Although her system has been working well for four months it seems strange that it failed because the signal was too strong.

Apparently no one else in her block had developed this fault.

Anyone else here heard of this type of problem and how soon can it be repaired?

PS

My sil is even less of a techie than I am, if you can imagine that  ha ha.

Edited by Neutrino
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

What the technician said is true.

One day I opened too many adult education videos at one time

and my computer crashed because the signal strength was too strong.

:D

Supersonic

Maybe ur SIL is Captain Marvel and the signal is from Nick Fury's pager? Signal across the universe too strong n starhub meltdown....

• Praise 2

Thank you TS for posting.

My wife didn't believe when I told her the computer crashed because

the signal strength too strong,

Now you posted what an expert SH tech has said

she cannot not believe me any more.

Credibility is the only true currency.

Maybe ur SIL is Captain Marvel and the signal is from Nick Fury's pager? Signal across the universe too strong n starhub meltdown....

It was the Tesseract.

It just too powerful for NLT fibre cables.

Loki-and-Tesseract.png

To solve the problem your SIL need to slow down the too high signal strength.

She can just use this.

Just stick a few on the computer cable until the strength drops and her computer

will work again.

Wholesale-Plastic-Clothes-Pegs-Mix-Color

colorful-clothes-pegs-line-28465828.jpg

• Praise 1

Thank you TS for posting.

My wife didn't believe when I told her the computer crashed because

the signal strength too strong,

Now you posted what an expert SH tech has said

she cannot not believe me any more.

Credibility is the only true currency.

the computer not crashed by your MIL?

• Praise 4

Twincharged

My sil who has had fiber internet and phone for 9 years or so and had fiber TV installed last December had all her fiber connections fail a few days ago. Nothing, nowt, zilch on TV, internet and phone.

A Starhub technician was at her HDB yesterday and diagnosed that the fiber signal strength was too great and the fiber termination point box could not cope with the high strength of signal and an Open net/Net Link will have to send a technician to sort it out.

Although her system has been working well for four months it seems strange that it failed because the signal was too strong.

PS

My sil is even less of a techie than I am, if you can imagine that ha ha.

I just recovered from a one week SHTV failure. Changed the bloody box 3 times but still could not work. At the end of the week, they said it was fault at their back-end.

CB some more want to charge me transport fees ...so I F them good good.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

My sil who has had fiber internet and phone for 9 years or so and had fiber TV installed last December had all her fiber connections fail a few days ago.  Nothing, nowt, zilch on TV, internet and phone.

PS

My sil is even less of a techie than I am, if you can imagine that  ha ha.

I don't understand why the other MCFs here give you nonsense answers. 

There is no such thing as signal too strong. It is either you get a signal or you don't. The only difference between signals is the bandwidth and latency.

When you say phone, I suppose you mean the digital home phone?  Can't be mobile phone right since that has nothing to do with fiber.

If the home fiber network is down, chances is that the fiber modem is down. Change that fiber modem.  The TV box gets its signal from the fiber modem, although the TV box can sometimes be down too.

But I really dun think it has to do with the Open Net fiber termination point. Open net only provides infrastructure, they don't provide signal. The signal comes from Starhub.

• Praise 2

Supersonic

There is no such thing as signal too strong. It is either you get a signal or you don't. The only difference between signals is the bandwidth and latency.

When you say phone, I suppose you mean the digital home phone?  Can't be mobile phone right since that has nothing to do with fiber.

If the home fiber network is down, chances is that the fiber modem is down. Change that fiber modem.  The TV box gets its signal from the fiber modem, although the TV box can sometimes be down too.

But I really dun think it has to do with the Open Net fiber termination point. Open net only provides infrastructure, they don't provide signal. The signal comes from Starhub.

It is possible to have "too strong" a signal.

It overwhelms the receiver bcuz it can only tolerate a range of power level.

It's like looking at the sun and everything you see turns white.

Try putting a device just next to your wifi transmitter antenna. It'll probably not work well.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Try putting a device just next to your wifi transmitter antenna. It'll probably not work well.

if it is indeed "too strong" like what you say,  then it should be Starhub's issue to provide the right equipments (the right fiber modem, the right wireless router, etc). The signal comes from them.

What has that got to do with Open Net? Open net is just the guy who lay the fiber cables and end at the termination box.

• Praise 1

the computer not crashed by your MIL?

Not my MIL.

I open too many adult educational videos at the same time.

Signal strength too strong.

I just recovered from a one week SHTV failure. Changed the bloody box 3 times but still could not work. At the end of the week, they said it was fault at their back-end.

CB some more want to charge me transport fees ...so I F them good good.

Did they tell you signal strength too strong also?

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Wow hope no fake news here. I never know there is such thing as signal strength too strong. In what way strong? 

Voltage too high ok i can also understand.  

Twincharged

Not my MIL.

I open too many adult educational videos at the same time.

Signal strength too strong.

Did they tell you signal strength too strong also?

Whatever they tell me... I consider all as BS... I only interested in my bill at the end of the month

Supercharged

Yeah, I mean digital home phone.

Whatever the reason for the 'too strong signal' I can't understand why everything has been working fine since December 2018 and suddenly the system crashes.

My sil has not made any changes to electrical equipment in her HDB or around the fiber installation equipment.

Also why has no one else in her HDB block had the same problem.

I guess Starhub has now come up with innovative excuses.

One or two weeks after my fibre was installed it went down.

The starhub guy came and said it was NLT connection problem.

It was OK after the NLT guy fixed it.

Some of the problems are not caused by SH. It's their supplier problem but they get the blame.

SH was nice enough to loan me a temporary cable modem.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

All you layman....

I design optic communication ic for a living. Depends on the modulation format used, like pam4 or qam, there are information stored in the amplitude so u cannot saturate the signal.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1