Super fungus that kills nearly half of victims has spread

Mockngbrd

Turbocharged

when human population spiked 5 fold in less than a decade, something has to kill us off more effectively. sad

• Praise 3

I read this news from Yahoo too.  So scary!  Can die within 90 days.  Currently has no cure.

The Candida Auris attacks patients with a weakened immune system. It was first discovered in 2009 in Japan, but an analysis of Candida strains revealed it was already identified in 1996 in South Korea. In the past five years it has been seen in a neo-natal ward in Venezuela, a hospital in Spain, and has forced a prestigious British medical center to shut down its intensive care unit. The fungus has also been identified in India, Pakistan and South Africa.

• Praise 3

(edited)

the apocalypse will come when it evolve into something we can no longer kill.

[;)]

note - old news in 2016 but quite prevalent for superbug, not the VW kind.

https://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore/woman-loses-her-sight-after-superbug-infection

When she woke up and could not see with her left eye and could hardly open her right eye, she thought she was dreaming.

But the dream turned into a nightmare as she sat on the edge of her bed, rubbing her eyes again and again, only to find that she still could not see.

A horrified Madam Siti Hajar Abdul Gaffar, 44, took a taxi to the Accident and Emergency department at Changi General Hospital (CGH) on Jan 23.

"All I could see out of my left eye was pitch darkness. I could not see even the tiniest ray of light," she said.

Madam Siti, a single mother of two children aged 11 and seven, added: "I could still see with my right eye, but it was blurry and there were black spots in my vision."

The customer service officer in a food distribution company was diagnosed with Klebsiella pneumoniae, which is caused by a superbug that is resistant to antibiotic treatment and that causes life-threatening infections among those susceptible to it, such as diabetics or patients with weakened immune systems.

Edited by Sdf4786k
  • Praise 1

Twincharged

I read this news from Yahoo too. So scary! Can die within 90 days. Currently has no cure.

The Candida Auris attacks patients with a weakened immune system. It was first discovered in 2009 in Japan, but an analysis of Candida strains revealed it was already identified in 1996 in South Korea. In the past five years it has been seen in a neo-natal ward in Venezuela, a hospital in Spain, and has forced a prestigious British medical center to shut down its intensive care unit. The fungus has also been identified in India, Pakistan and South Africa.

At least it is not like Sars spread very rapidly.

note - old news in 2016 but quite prevalent for superbug, not the VW kind.

https://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore/woman-loses-her-sight-after-superbug-infection

When she woke up and could not see with her left eye and could hardly open her right eye, she thought she was dreaming.

But the dream turned into a nightmare as she sat on the edge of her bed, rubbing her eyes again and again, only to find that she still could not see.

A horrified Madam Siti Hajar Abdul Gaffar, 44, took a taxi to the Accident and Emergency department at Changi General Hospital (CGH) on Jan 23.

"All I could see out of my left eye was pitch darkness. I could not see even the tiniest ray of light," she said.

Madam Siti, a single mother of two children aged 11 and seven, added: "I could still see with my right eye, but it was blurry and there were black spots in my vision."

The customer service officer in a food distribution company was diagnosed with Klebsiella pneumoniae, which is caused by a superbug that is resistant to antibiotic treatment and that causes life-threatening infections among those susceptible to it, such as diabetics or patients with weakened immune systems.

I am a strong believer of not to eat antibiotics unless really necessary. As keep eating antibiotics, the virus will start to get immune to it and then need even strong one. There will be a point of time where the antibiotics is unable to keep pace with the virus immune to very strong antibiotics.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

when human population spiked 5 fold in less than a decade, something has to kill us off more effectively. sad

typo i meant century obviously