Chemotherapy experience at NCC

Lala81

Well. This is more of a sharing experience to help understand what's chemo about.

Unfortunately, I am the patient in question.

Basically I was diagnosed with early stage cancer in mid march. Operated and confirmed diagnosis. Came to National Cancer center for further treatment.

The biggest shock is probably for my parents rather than me, given my background.

My cancer is early stage and has good long term prognosis. But has a significant chance of relapse if no preventive chemotherapy is done

Hence, after discussion with the oncologist here, will be undergoing 2 x 3 weeks cycles of chemo. My kids still young, so not taking preventive chemo is not really an option.

I'm pretty prepared for everything, so all the pros and cons of chemo were q straight forward for me.

Immune system will be weakened. So avoid crowded places. Wear mask. Eat only cooked food. Watch for fever etc.

Basically once u seen the oncologist and if chemo is needed. U will need to prebook the chemo appt at level 3. Ambulatory treatment unit.

Everytime u come must register and measure weight. Then u wait for your chair or bed to receive treatment.

U come. U wait at your bed/chair. Can be accompanied by one family member. They come set plug and give u medicines. Then the infusion starts. Which lasts about few hours. I usually nap a bit or read on my phone. Was considering Netflix but no real inclination to watch when I was actually here.

First week is pretty intense. 5 days in a row. Forearm veins also sian from being poked.

There are different agents given on different days and everyone will experience different side effects.

Main side effects are nausea, fatigue and feeling sick. It was pretty rough for mid last week. Even walking around the home is tiring.

Supposedly with the latest drugs, vomiting is uncommon though nausea here and there is common.

Sleep wake cycle is bit screwed up also.

I'm easily 20-30 years younger than most pts here, can imagine these older folks need to be even more stoic.

Currently I'm on week 2 of the first cycle. Typing this while I'm waiting for the infusion to finish.

If u do have have family or friends having chemo, its pretty depressing to undergo.

Family and friends are the most important in distracting you and helping out, though my kids are more annoying now since I'm not in the best of moods.

The social connection is undoubtedly the most important though.

post-4207-0-14153500-1554690010_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 87
  • Shocked 1

Hope you are taking it wel bro

Stay the fight buddy. You are in my prayers

@angcheek

Fyi

Region?

• Praise 12

please take care.

are you given strong dosage and will be having lose hair?

my mum went through twice, first time was quite difficult and very sick and uncomfortable after the chemo session as she was over 70 yrs old, she needs 3-4 days of the steroid boost jab 10 days after the session and cycle repeat every 3 weeks for 6 sessions.

the relapse was a year ago and this time they let her try a newer drug was comparative mild for old folk and it was not much discomfort and no lose of hair.

Yes immune system is basically down to zero hence has to be very careful.

• Praise 11

Twincharged

Well. This is more of a sharing experience to help understand what's chemo about.

Unfortunately, I am the patient in question.

Basically I was diagnosed with early stage cancer in mid march. Operated and confirmed diagnosis. Came to National Cancer center for further treatment.

The biggest shock is probably for my parents rather than me, given my background.

My cancer is early stage and has good long term prognosis. But has a significant chance of relapse if no preventive chemotherapy is done

Hence, after discussion with the oncologist here, will be undergoing 2 x 3 weeks cycles of chemo. My kids still young, so not taking preventive chemo is not really an option.

I'm pretty prepared for everything, so all the pros and cons of chemo were q straight forward for me.

Immune system will be weakened. So avoid crowded places. Wear mask. Eat only cooked food. Watch for fever etc.

Basically once u seen the oncologist and if chemo is needed. U will need to prebook the chemo appt at level 3. Ambulatory treatment unit.

Everytime u come must register and measure weight. Then u wait for your chair or bed to receive treatment.

U come. U wait at your bed/chair. Can be accompanied by one family member. They come set plug and give u medicines. Then the infusion starts. Which lasts about few hours. I usually nap a bit or read on my phone. Was considering Netflix but no real inclination to watch when I was actually here.

First week is pretty intense. 5 days in a row. Forearm veins also sian from being poked.

There are different agents given on different days and everyone will experience different side effects.

Main side effects are nausea, fatigue and feeling sick. It was pretty rough for mid last week. Even walking around the home is tiring.

Supposedly with the latest drugs, vomiting is uncommon though nausea here and there is common.

Sleep wake cycle is bit screwed up also.

I'm easily 20-30 years younger than most pts here, can imagine these older folks need to be even more stoic.

Currently I'm on week 2 of the first cycle. Typing this while I'm waiting for the infusion to finish.

If u do have have family or friends having chemo, its pretty depressing to undergo.

Family and friends are the most important in distracting you and helping out, though my kids are more annoying now since I'm not in the best of moods.

The social connection is undoubtedly the most important though.

Stay strong bro I’m sure you will recover from this

Prayers with you and your family

• Praise 9

Hope you are taking it wel bro

Stay the fight buddy. You are in my prayers

@angcheek

Fyi

Region?

Haha your years of dialysis, even more siong.

Just have to tolerate lor.

Lucky only two cycles then just keep on surveillance.

Supersonic

Stay strong and positive. You will get well soon de.

But i am wondering is there a difference between having chemo session at govt hospital vs private hospital? 

• Praise 7

please take care.

are you given strong dosage and will be having lose hair?

my mum went through twice, first time was quite difficult and very sick and uncomfortable after the chemo session as she was over 70 yrs old, she needs 3-4 days of the steroid boost jab 10 days after the session and cycle repeat every 3 weeks for 6 sessions.

the relapse was a year ago and this time they let her try a newer drug was comparative mild for old folk and it was not much discomfort and no lose of hair.

Yes immune system is basically down to zero hence has to be very careful.

I'm supposed to lose hair. But haven't started yet.

Yeah I'm so much younger so definitely stronger than the older folks.

I'm on steroids to reduce the nausea. I think it does help.

Actually quite a lot of older folks go through chemo, even my close friends parents had it.

• Praise 1

Haha your years of dialysis, even more siong.

Just have to tolerate lor.

Lucky only two cycles then just keep on surveillance.

Gd bro

Keep the positivity

Supersonic

I'm supposed to lose hair. But haven't started yet.

Yeah I'm so much younger so definitely stronger than the older folks.

I'm on steroids to reduce the nausea. I think it does help.

Actually quite a lot of older folks go through chemo, even my close friends parents had it.

Just outta curiosity, how was the cancer detected?
↡ Advertisement