Chemotherapy experience at NCC

Lala81

I'm late to the thread, but I pray and wish you a smooth recovery, and that you are back to normal soon.

Things to do:

Take up a new hobby eg hifi?

Read everything NLIB digital can offer

Apple TV daily rentals?

Pray and meditate more?

Tai chi?

Happy to drop by and pass you a ton of magazines if you like bro and I have lots of Chinese tea... all good for drinking for fun and for health.

All the best sir

I trust you will win this month's thread and buy more good tonic for yourself :)

The chemo and the medicine really make one weak, very weak during this period, there is very little productive time left and most of the time you just want to rest and do nothing.

Emotionally you probably want some one to take care and look after you as you have been providing all the time and never had a real mental break. Having said you need to be aware of the stress that caregivers are having.

↡ Advertisement

I dont know if it is possible to cut off sugar in our daily food? Seems like very difficult le, cause many foods we eat confirmed have some sugar in them le?!

It's possible to cut down on lots of sugar.

The obvious ones are soft drinks, cordial drinks, any drink that comes in a can or pack. I don't understand why ppl must drink coke when eating a meal?

Next are your coffee/tea. Cut off the sugar when ordering them.

No sweet desserts or cakes. U know how much sugar the baker put?

Recently I wanted to bake own cookies. So I go online search for recipe. Went to a well known site and it says 1/2 cup of sugar for 35 cookies.

1/2 cup of sugar?!! That's hell alot of sugar for just 35 cookies.

I only put 1 tablespoon of sugar into my cookies and they still taste great. Everyone tried with positive feedback.

So u see, there are plenty of ways to cut off sugar.

• Praise 5

(edited)

Ran out of power today. Thanks again to all those I didn't reply or posted.

@lala81 being young, and having taken up a healthier lifestyle, I’m sure you will do well with the treatment, and more importantly, reduce the likelihood of a relapse through various methods shared

We should be around the same age, and I look forward to have the usual jogging routine with you when our friends here organise one.

Edited by Sturtles
  • Praise 5

Turbocharged

Since I've stopped work for about a month initially after operation, glad to see many people using the neighbourhood park etc to do walks, runs etc.

Since now I tend to go in the mornings to walk my dog, when the older folks or many housewives etc do their things.

i think walking the dog is a good exercise. gets you out of the house, get some fresh air, maybe some early morning sun, loosen your joints, some bonding time with the dog, and best of all is, most of your neighbours are generally in a cheery mood in the morning.

Sugar not as in sweet but as in car bo hy d rate. A low CHO diet means controlling starchy foods as well. Rotis, rice noodles pasta...to a small serving.

A breadstick is CHO. Yogurt ice cream is CHO.

It depends what low sugar diet means to you.

Low sugar is vague term that is elastic wriggly.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

It's possible to cut down on lots of sugar.

The obvious ones are soft drinks, cordial drinks, any drink that comes in a can or pack. I don't understand why ppl must drink coke when eating a meal?

Next are your coffee/tea. Cut off the sugar when ordering them.

No sweet desserts or cakes. U know how much sugar the baker put?

Recently I wanted to bake own cookies. So I go online search for recipe. Went to a well known site and it says 1/2 cup of sugar for 35 cookies.

1/2 cup of sugar?!! That's hell alot of sugar for just 35 cookies.

I only put 1 tablespoon of sugar into my cookies and they still taste great. Everyone tried with positive feedback.

So u see, there are plenty of ways to cut off sugar.

I dont drink soft and cordial drinks, coffee and tea. I only eat cakes like swiss roll but not everyday, however i eat bread everyday. Once a while some desserts. The drinks that i drink usually are herbal tea and honey lemon. So dont know if my intake of sugar still consider high? Lol.

Sugar not as in sweet but as in car bo hy d rate. A low CHO diet means controlling starchy foods as well. Rotis, rice noodles pasta...to a small serving.

A breadstick is CHO. Yogurt ice cream is CHO.

It depends what low sugar diet means to you.

Low sugar is vague term that is elastic wriggly.

If carbohyrate takes into consideration as sugar intake, then my sugar intake maybe is high liao? Cause i eat bread, rice and noodles. 

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

Precisely, no way to cut off sugar totally. I just drank one bottle of chrysanthemum tea from herbal shop also have sugar in it.

Lol, the example you gave is probably the easiest high sugar drink to give up on as your first step in reducing sugar intake.
  • Praise 3

Supercharged

Cancer and sugar: Does changing your diet starve cancerous cells?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2017-07-26/cancer-and-sugar-what-you-need-to-know/8701870

I believe, we need to eat well to get our immune system back up quickly after chemo.

Take care and Get well soon Dr. Lala.

Maybe just to share, what we did 10+ years ago when my 1 year old son was having his chemo.

house rule:

No visitors

Dedicated room.

Those come home, straight to shower and change to clean cloths

hepa filter on 24 hours in room at least. better whole house.

clean home floor every day.

all organic diet. (I don't buy this)

no raw food/fruits. must be well cook.

anyone fall sick, will have to move out.

• Praise 13

In less than 28 hours, this thread has reached 8 pages. Like therock, I feel that I am late! 

Thank you for your courageous and selfless sharing which not many will do!

Be brave to fight on and I strongly believe you will win the battle! 

• Praise 4

Supersonic

Lol, the example you gave is probably the easiest high sugar drink to give up on as your first step in reducing sugar intake.

Actually i dont drink often also, maybe once a week or few weeks once. I think drink plain water safest. Lol. But also depend on individual body, i know one friend favourite drink is coke, he drinks lots of coke since young but i never see him have any health problem from drinking coke le?  [rolleyes]

Hypersonic

Actually i dont drink often also, maybe once a week or few weeks once. I think drink plain water safest. Lol. But also depend on individual body, i know one friend favourite drink is coke, he drinks lots of coke since young but i never see him have any health problem from drinking coke le? [rolleyes]

I know what you meant. Agree not easy to avoid completely. But removing sugary drinks should be easiest for most of us, since old liao tends to prefer less sweet in most food.

Supersonic

I know what you meant. Agree not easy to avoid completely. But removing sugary drinks should be easiest for most of us, since old liao tends to prefer less sweet in most food.

True, i started off avoiding sugary drinks first. But for carbohydrate intake still cannot reduce much lo. 

Actually i dont drink often also, maybe once a week or few weeks once. I think drink plain water safest. Lol. But also depend on individual body, i know one friend favourite drink is coke, he drinks lots of coke since young but i never see him have any health problem from drinking coke le?  [rolleyes]

Yeah, like how some of ppl whom we know who are smokers for 30-40 years, but still living well without any cancer

sometimes it can get puzzling 

We do not need to get overly paranoid about this about that. Yes,we take care of ourselves but certainly no need to go to extreme either way. If not life is meaningless. We need to be careful about so called research findings. They change all the time. Once a while,I do indulge in ice cream and chocolate. Can I give it all up? Sure but no need to unless there is a strong conviction. I see those guys with well defined abs I also envious a bit but hey perhaps they paid a high price for it yeah. Having clarity of mind,having the peace of mind and getting adequate sleep is crucially important. Bro doctor here has taken this episode in his stride though never easy but I am optimistic he will overcome. Both my parents did not have long lives unfortunately and in all likelihood I may end up like them. I don't worry but live each day well with my loved ones and spending time. I advocate simple lifestyle. I really enjoy it. Life doesn't have to be complicated. No Lamborghini,no Ferrari,no GCB. But it is perfectly ok:)

• Praise 10

Yeah, like how some of ppl whom we know who are smokers for 30-40 years, but still living well without any cancer

Life is unfair ... some have many gf some have none .
  • Praise 5

Supersonic

Exactly. Sometimes really puzzling. So by eating the so called wrong food doesnt mean the person would get major illness or cancer. Maybe it all depend on individual body structure and luck?

No need to be puzzled. 

It's like striking toto.... 

As long as you are alive, you are considered to be buying $1 quick pick  every draw....... 

For people who smoke 1 pack a day, each draw they machiam buy system 7 quick pick. 

For people who smoke 2 pack a day, each draw they machiam buy system 8 quick pick.

For people who eat like no tomorrow, drink until liver biang, smoke like a chimney..  Each draw machiam buy system 12 roll. 

But does it mean they will all definitely Strike Toto? 

Easier to understand?  :D

Exactly. Sometimes really puzzling. So by eating the so called wrong food doesnt mean the person would get major illness or cancer. Maybe it all depend on individual body structure and luck?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 11