Chemotherapy experience at NCC

Lala81

It's tolerable. The picc helps a lot since I don't need to be poked each time I come.

Frankly, More worried about the immunocompromised state in the next two weeks which caused me to be hospitalised the last round.

Understand u have 2 young kids.

They are usually falling sick or carrying pathogens back from playgrounds & schools. And your wife, being their primary caregiver, could be an infective source too. Please protect yourself by wearing masks at all times when with them. Eat separately fr them too. Hopefully these measures help.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

Money money money ... when the time comes, money means nothing .. literally. Unless your children only wants your money and both you and your children wish you die soon, then a different story lah. No hospital can force you to go through any kind of treatment, it is always your own decision, not even your children's decision. Every one takes turn so no need to rush, death is 100%.

As the saying goes

Only 2 things in life are certain.

Death and Taxes.

They are usually falling sick or carrying pathogens back from playgrounds & schools. And your wife, being their primary caregiver, could be an infective source too. Please protect yourself by wearing masks at all times when with them. Eat separately fr them too. Hopefully these measures help.

I don't think his one would transmit through touch or oral.

you do know where his cancer situated right!

Tame is referring to the kids may carry virus from outside and pass to him, doc currently has zero immunity after each session.

ok ok my fault.

It's tolerable. The picc helps a lot since I don't need to be poked each time I come.

Frankly, More worried about the immunocompromised state in the next two weeks which caused me to be hospitalised the last round.

Hi Doc, 

Thanks for sharing. 

Now i understand better why my dad had pneumonia after his chemo session, and subsequently passed away due to the infection.  

• Praise 2

My two cycles of chemo (admittedly these are older non cutting edge medicines) cost less than 2k. Subsidised care yes.

Out of which is covered under hospitalisation insurance and medisave.

I'm sure there are some chemo treatments which go to 5-6 digits and some new patented drugs that can go to that level. I may also think twice if I'm older and my disease is advanced.

I understand the charges at ncc can be half of that in a private hospital.

When my late bro was fighting with lung cancer, a jab cost him >$12K, while the cost of the same drug at ncc was half the price. 

In a way, patients are treated as guinea pigs. One drug not effective, they would change to the next one. In the end, after >2 years' fight, he still succumbed to the illness.  

• Praise 3

I understand the charges at ncc can be half of that in a private hospital.

When my late bro was fighting with lung cancer, a jab cost him >$12K, while the cost of the same drug at ncc was half the price.

In a way, patients are treated as guinea pigs. One drug not effective, they would change to the next one. In the end, after >2 years' fight, he still succumbed to the illness.

Sorry to hear that.

Lung cancer is tough to treat. As we understand more about cancer, ironically there are more questions left unanswered. Maybe in 50 years time, we will know more what works and what doesn't. But even then, it's likely to get even more complex and nuanced.

Similarly if I was diagnosed twenty years ago, I would have to undergo radiotherapy for my diagnosis.

Hi Doc,

Thanks for sharing.

Now i understand better why my dad had pneumonia after his chemo session, and subsequently passed away due to the infection.

Sorry to hear that.

Yeah man, I'm about as young and healthy as cancer pts come and my white cell count was still very low on my admission. Lucky it recovered after a few days.

Yeah trying. Usually I eat first.

I misread.... I thought I saw "The PCC helps a lot......"

I need new glasses...

Picc (peripheral iv Central catheter) is an artificial line inserted into the upper arm so that the intravenous medicine can be delivered to your body without setting a plug.

There's some risk of infection but it's helped me greatly cos the chemo and my admission has spoilt some of my forearm veins.

• Praise 2

Sorry to hear that.

Lung cancer is tough to treat. As we understand more about cancer, ironically there are more questions left unanswered. Maybe in 50 years time, we will know more what works and what doesn't. But even then, it's likely to get even more complex and nuanced.

Similarly if I was diagnosed twenty years ago, I would have to undergo radiotherapy for my diagnosis.

Sorry to hear that.

Yeah man, I'm about as young and healthy as cancer pts come and my white cell count was still very low on my admission. Lucky it recovered after a few days.

Yeah trying. Usually I eat first.

Picc (peripheral iv Central catheter) is an artificial line inserted into the upper arm so that the intravenous medicine can be delivered to your body without setting a plug.

There's some risk of infection but it's helped me greatly cos the chemo and my admission has spoilt some of my forearm veins.

Just gotta watch for the late stage effects when u hv the PICC like stenoses related issues
  • Praise 1

Paisay paisay.... I goblok. I dunno all these abbreviation so it is difficult to relate. Anyway from the description it sounds painful already. 

Stay cheerful and be positive bro. 

So now U become Iron man ...........  :D  

• Praise 2

If the treatment is a few thousand dollars go for it. they are not going to give u alot of chemo for that kind of money and most likely you will benefit from it.

On the other hand if have full medical insurance, max medisave , got money and got cancer....you are as good as dead. The Hospital will blast you with max chemo to reap max money . Actually hospital dont have a choice. Today overhead are so high. Sgp is best at least in the way ----- they check who can pay and make these rich pay. Actually i should not be revealing this as now there are many rich reading this thread who will be saved from 'donating ' to the upkeep of the hospital.

Please be more sensitive on your posting here.

I think you should stop here.

• Praise 4

Paisay paisay.... I goblok. I dunno all these abbreviation so it is difficult to relate. Anyway from the description it sounds painful already. 

Stay cheerful and be positive bro. 

From what I was told, he suffered the most thru the oral dose which damaged the whole food passage from the throat down. After such a dose, he would not be able to take solid food for at least 2 weeks, and he went thru 2 or 3 such treatments. It was a real suffering...

the point here is not about the money that hospital make, it is the alternatives that you did not suggest. You are practically asking people to sit there do nothing, wait and die.

i think your agenda is against the hospital and not the welfare of the patients.

got it.

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/new-treatment-buys-more-time-late-stage-lung-cancer-patients-its-costly

sorry fir late reply. many other alternative other than chemo.

you have to do your own homwwork and not depend on just me.

dont mention it. ...

Sorry slow to this thread and to read that it was not total smooth sailing (with the infection). Chemo already kao lat, throw in viral infection, you really need to stay strong in yr mind even when the body is weaken. And coming to MCF is the right decision as we are going to pump you with words of encouragement.

Surgery means cure. Because you are still young, tho the light preventive chemo going to momentary bring you down but your body can bounce back quickly after the cycles are over.

For itch on scalp, you can use dandruff shampoo. Are you eating well and able to finish over 1/2 of full meal? Do drink Ensure packet milk (~$2.80/pk) to supplement.

Where was the tumor found and what sort of chemo are they giving you? 

1 cycle is 3 infusions and you have to go for 2 cycles? 

• Praise 4

Perhaps you should post in a more relevant thread (as suggested earlier) to benefit more people who wants to research more into alternative treatment.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2