Chemotherapy experience at NCC

Lala81

First off, take care doc.

Perhaps, medically understanding the whats and whys things are being done takes away the part of worrying which otherwise most of us will go thru.

Glad its discovered early. U will be well soon ya. So much more in life to enjoy and experience! Just be strong and fight it.

Take care young man. Come here to rant and yada yada. Its a good place to shout your piece of mind too....most of us idiot-proof by now, trained by driving defensively daily.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7

Supersonic

U can do chemo at pte center.. I'm actually covered by my hospitalisation insurance. But subsequent monitoring post chemo, Scans etc won't be covered anymore.

Actually I did my op at mt E. But one of my friends is oncologist here at ncc. So she recommended me in Here.

I think the actual chemotherapy care is pretty the same.

Probably it's just the waiting times for like appointments, counter service etc that's longer. I don't think physical care differs.

Their setup is very efficient here. Nursing standard no real appreciable difference to me.

I see. Thought the procedure, waiting time, clinic environment and service would be better in private which might lessen the discomfort of the patient than in govt hospital during the chemo session?! 

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Well. This is more of a sharing experience to help understand what's chemo about.

Unfortunately, I am the patient in question.

Basically I was diagnosed with early stage cancer in mid march. Operated and confirmed diagnosis. Came to National Cancer center for further treatment.

The biggest shock is probably for my parents rather than me, given my background.

My cancer is early stage and has good long term prognosis. But has a significant chance of relapse if no preventive chemotherapy is done

Hence, after discussion with the oncologist here, will be undergoing 2 x 3 weeks cycles of chemo. My kids still young, so not taking preventive chemo is not really an option.

I'm pretty prepared for everything, so all the pros and cons of chemo were q straight forward for me.

Immune system will be weakened. So avoid crowded places. Wear mask. Eat only cooked food. Watch for fever etc.

Basically once u seen the oncologist and if chemo is needed. U will need to prebook the chemo appt at level 3. Ambulatory treatment unit.

Everytime u come must register and measure weight. Then u wait for your chair or bed to receive treatment.

U come. U wait at your bed/chair. Can be accompanied by one family member. They come set plug and give u medicines. Then the infusion starts. Which lasts about few hours. I usually nap a bit or read on my phone. Was considering Netflix but no real inclination to watch when I was actually here.

First week is pretty intense. 5 days in a row. Forearm veins also sian from being poked.

There are different agents given on different days and everyone will experience different side effects.

Main side effects are nausea, fatigue and feeling sick. It was pretty rough for mid last week. Even walking around the home is tiring.

Supposedly with the latest drugs, vomiting is uncommon though nausea here and there is common.

Sleep wake cycle is bit screwed up also.

I'm easily 20-30 years younger than most pts here, can imagine these older folks need to be even more stoic.

Currently I'm on week 2 of the first cycle. Typing this while I'm waiting for the infusion to finish.

If u do have have family or friends having chemo, its pretty depressing to undergo.

Family and friends are the most important in distracting you and helping out, though my kids are more annoying now since I'm not in the best of moods.

The social connection is undoubtedly the most important though.

Take care bro.

Keep the positive attitude and u will be fully restorated in health.

• Praise 5

Ok, I went to google it to learn more about this illness. Really rare case but extremely high chance of recovery.

Glad to hear you are taking it well. Wishing you speedy recovery!

No choice. Anyway prognosis is good long term, or else I won't be taking it well also.

I see. Thought the procedure, waiting time, clinic environment and service would be better in private which might lessen the discomfort of the patient than in govt hospital during the chemo session?!

Don't disagree. If it's covered then by all means. Anyway it's more that I got an early appointment here.

My surgeon recommended both pte and public oncologist to me.

The nurses here are experienced enough.

Supersonic

Found a testicular lump. Once I felt it, I knew its bad.

Not a common type of cancer. 1:100,000 risk in Asians.

Same chance as striking 4d? Lol

More likely for us might be overlook and could not detect it. Luckily you have detected it early and started the treatment fast. Anyway, many illness happened nowadays are not common and no way you can prevented de.

One thing that comes to mind is we are al like family here

I shared my Renal experience and a few others their own challenges. We share cos we are comfy here to tell

As we age and grow old, these are unavoidable but the community support and camaraderie as well as our family makes the differences

Take care all bros and live life fully

• Praise 15

Hypersonic

@Lala81 fight for your family, yourself and all your loved ones. All in MCF is behind your fight and wish you all the bests and early recovery.

• Praise 8

Hi bro,

Stay strong and fight the fight for your loved ones. You are never alone with this one...

You’ll be amazed how a positive mind can do to heal...

As the saying...pain is inevitable but misery is optional.

Have a relative whom has won the battle and still golfing mahjonging like any other day. Yes, he’s a fighter with his strong mind.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

• Praise 9

Well. This is more of a sharing experience to help understand what's chemo about.

Unfortunately, I am the patient in question.

Basically I was diagnosed with early stage cancer in mid march. Operated and confirmed diagnosis. Came to National Cancer center for further treatment.

The biggest shock is probably for my parents rather than me, given my background.

My cancer is early stage and has good long term prognosis. But has a significant chance of relapse if no preventive chemotherapy is done

Hence, after discussion with the oncologist here, will be undergoing 2 x 3 weeks cycles of chemo. My kids still young, so not taking preventive chemo is not really an option.

I'm pretty prepared for everything, so all the pros and cons of chemo were q straight forward for me.

Immune system will be weakened. So avoid crowded places. Wear mask. Eat only cooked food. Watch for fever etc.

Basically once u seen the oncologist and if chemo is needed. U will need to prebook the chemo appt at level 3. Ambulatory treatment unit.

Everytime u come must register and measure weight. Then u wait for your chair or bed to receive treatment.

U come. U wait at your bed/chair. Can be accompanied by one family member. They come set plug and give u medicines. Then the infusion starts. Which lasts about few hours. I usually nap a bit or read on my phone. Was considering Netflix but no real inclination to watch when I was actually here.

First week is pretty intense. 5 days in a row. Forearm veins also sian from being poked.

There are different agents given on different days and everyone will experience different side effects.

Main side effects are nausea, fatigue and feeling sick. It was pretty rough for mid last week. Even walking around the home is tiring.

Supposedly with the latest drugs, vomiting is uncommon though nausea here and there is common.

Sleep wake cycle is bit screwed up also.

I'm easily 20-30 years younger than most pts here, can imagine these older folks need to be even more stoic.

Currently I'm on week 2 of the first cycle. Typing this while I'm waiting for the infusion to finish.

If u do have have family or friends having chemo, its pretty depressing to undergo.

Family and friends are the most important in distracting you and helping out, though my kids are more annoying now since I'm not in the best of moods.

The social connection is undoubtedly the most important though.

Very sorry to hear about this especially in a colleague. Stay strong and get well soon.
  • Praise 6

Supersonic

Don't disagree. If it's covered then by all means. Anyway it's more that I got an early appointment here.

My surgeon recommended both pte and public oncologist to me.

The nurses here are experienced enough.

Are the treatment cost covered by the shield plans?

Are the treatment cost covered by the shield plans?

For chemo yes. Up to a certain duration. More than generous enough. Actually the medishield plans cover most things.

I had some additional rider for pte hospitalisation for my surgery.

Hi bro,

Stay strong and fight the fight for your loved ones. You are never alone with this one...

Youâll be amazed how a positive mind can do to heal...

As the saying...pain is inevitable but misery is optional.

Have a relative whom has won the battle and still golfing mahjonging like any other day. Yes, heâs a fighter with his strong mind.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Lol... My wife say must be because I get angry or irritated easily.

Supersonic

For chemo yes. Up to a certain duration. More than generous enough. Actually the medishield plans cover most things.

I had some additional rider for pte hospitalisation for my surgery.

Phewww...great to hear that

So for the benefit of the bros here, how does one get the process started? Go to polyclinic or clinic for referral to NCC or just show up n claim insurance?

Turbocharged

oh no!

take care doc! so sorry. this is a shocking bad surprise. Hope you, wife and parents are coping well.

u dont have to answer but did you notice any other symptoms before discovering the lump?

Phewww...great to hear that

So for the benefit of the bros here, how does one get the process started? Go to polyclinic or clinic for referral to NCC or just show up n claim insurance?

Usually when u are admitted or at the institution, if its claimable under medisave plans, they can do e filing for u.

I had some tiny snag at mt e cos I only stayed overnight, so they were trying to e file for me in time to not pay upfront first. But minor issue.

I'm with ntuc enhanced incomeshield. Just need to have online submission of the receipts etc that are not immediately e-fileable. Like pre admission investigations or further follow ups within 90 days of admission.

↡ Advertisement