Ez-link meets Touch N Go 2 in 1

BabyBlade

Internal Moderator

Singapore travellers to Malaysia will soon have an easier time paying for road tolls and parking across the Causeway.

Local travel card issuer EZ-Link and Malaysia’s Touch ’n Go announced on Tuesday (April 9) that they are planning to introduce a Combi Card in the fourth quarter of 2019 that can allow users to pay in Singapore dollars and Malaysian ringgit.

This dual-currency card can be used both in Singapore and Malaysia. For a start, users can use it to pay electronic road pricing in Singapore, highway tolls in Malaysia and parking in either countries.

In the future, there are plans to expand the card’s use, such as making payments for shopping and dining in Singapore and Malaysia.

The card will store Singdollars and ringgit separately. This means that if the card’s Singdollar balance is zero, users cannot use the card’s ringgit stored value to make Singdollar payments and have to top up the card with Singdollars. The converse applies as well.

How card top-ups can be done and other details will be announced later.

The cross-border Combi Card announcement comes after it was cited in the joint statement by Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and his Malaysian counterpart Mahathir Mohamad following their Leaders' Retreat in Putrajaya on Tuesday.

Both leaders welcomed the good progress made by both companies to launch the Combi Card that can be used by motorists who travel in both countries.

"When officially implemented, the dual-currency Combi Card would allow users to pay for road tolls and parking charges in both countries with the same card," said the statement.

The Combi Card will securely host both electronic wallets from EZ-Link and Touch 'n Go, a first in South-east Asia, said a joint statement by both companies on Tuesday.

The card is targeted for a fourth-quarter launch this year.

EZ-Link chief executive Nicholas Lee said that the card "will be a milestone in EZ-Link's efforts to continuously innovate to transform people's lives with technology".

Touch 'n Go chief executive Syahrunizam Tan Sri Samsudin said: "This synergy between Touch 'n Go and EZ-Link to create a dual-currency cross-border Combi Card will undoubtedly make daily transactions fuss-free for Malaysian and Singaporean consumers with faster, simpler and more secure payment options."

This announcement follows the signing of a memorandum of understanding between EZ-Link and Touch 'n Go on July 30, 2017.

To date, EZ-Link has issued about 30 million Cepas ez-link cards in Singapore and Touch 'n Go has more than 23 million active Touch 'n Go cards in circulation in Malaysia.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7

does it mean the card can read 2 different currency? so if i go to petrol station to top up in RM, then it will be saved in RM? or it will be a combined amount that can be used in both currency? 

does it mean the card can read 2 different currency? so if i go to petrol station to top up in RM, then it will be saved in RM? or it will be a combined amount that can be used in both currency?

Be patient. Details not out yet. Probably nearer to 4th qtr we can get more update.
  • Praise 2

Internal Moderator

Stored value of 2 currency. If you top up SGD, you can only use it in SG. You cannot use your SGD to pay toll in Malaysia. Have to topup RM first.

Supercharged

hor hor never read the whole thing!!

then again.. EZ-Link still got problem with some carparks here.. solve it first lah!~~~!#$~!#$@%$

• Praise 1

Stored value of 2 currency. If you top up SGD, you can only use it in SG. You cannot use your SGD to pay toll in Malaysia. Have to topup RM first.

it will be very interesting indeed. can store value for 2 different currency..... 

I hope it solves the problem of TnG cards expiring especially for those who rarely go in. At least provide a service in SG to make the card active or top up, so that people don't jam up the lanes at the checkpoint. 

Our ez-link doesn't have this problem of expiring due to inactivity. 

Actually it's about time the Malaysia TnG system upgrades to be able to take contactless Visa/Master cards already. One card solve everything and can earn points. 

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator

Can they think of converting our IU for "Smart Tag" purpose also?

They're replacing the Smart Tag with RFID soon so apparently sales of Smart Tag stopped but if you have it you can still use it. But since it's Malaysia no one knows when they will roll the RFID out anyway. 

https://hitz.com.my/trending/trending-on-hitz/goodbye-smarttag-cannot-buy

Thank you. I meant they should allow our IU unit to be detected in My too (again cannot believe My side what they steal and misuse etc.). RFID is being done (opened again) for My cars now. For us, VEP is still under hold because of their budget issue. Will take longer time to get RFID.

Smart tag is so far so good.

They're replacing the Smart Tag with RFID soon so apparently sales of Smart Tag stopped but if you have it you can still use it. But since it's Malaysia no one knows when they will roll the RFID out anyway. 

https://hitz.com.my/trending/trending-on-hitz/goodbye-smarttag-cannot-buy

this is will be a great move! i was hopping they can resumed MACS thou.

Thought about that. If all can work together, like IU = Smart Tag, Ezlink and Touch n Go can auto-convert currency. that would be the best! especially at msia custom, always a lot of touch and go no credit and no place to top up. have to park the car there and walk to top up, waste a lot of time and make more traffic congestion

This card is useless unless both currencies can be topped up in both countries interchangeably, i.e SGD top up in MY and MYR top up in SG.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1