Maintenance Tips For Beginners/First Time Car Owners

WillemVS

(edited)

Hey, For people who are about to buy their first car, or recently did, here are very good tips for maintenance you NEED to do regularly, to keep your car in good shape and avoid damage!

Edited by Lightsabre
↡ Advertisement
  • Dislike 2

Neutral Newbie

Nice video! I also stumbled upon a car care guide on how to make your vehicle last longer from the oil filter brands, you might wanna check it out as well. It covers car care tips, maintenance tips, and products. You can also send me a message if you need advice. :)

3 hours ago, daviddedwin said:

I have created a maintenance checklist and poster for maintaining the car so that it will last for hundreds of thousands of kilometres. Singaporeans simply don't drive so much within Singapore, but if you drive between Malaysia and Singapore this will preserve the value of your car. The current version of the poster is missing the tire maintenance but focuses on all the fluids the car needs.  I have attached a picture of the poster here and you can also download the pdf version and also more tips to maintain your other stuff at kogitsu.com .

kogitsu-scotty.png

Nowadays most cars do not use power steering fluid. 

Neutral Newbie

@Vinceng just curious, rotate tyre every 2 years seems kind of late... i'll say 1 year at least. 

open to discussion

then again, some ppl dont even rotate and just change lol

Neutral Newbie

@Jamesc Would any of you know the cost of Volvo maintenance? I just had two tail struts on my XC40 fail me. (Of course warranty expire; otherwise why the part expire?) 

And Volvo SG (Wearnes) charged me $768.91 (after a 15% discount). I went online https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/tailgate-struts-10926/volvo/xc40/xc40-536/128759-t5-awd and the parts do not cost more than 27UK pound. That is, each strut should cost less than $50. Ok, we multiply by 3 for taxes. Still $150 ech. But I got charged more than 15 times the cost. 

I know GCB prices have gone up and we know that bosses must live in them. But even the prices of GCB have not gone up that much that quickly. 

I kpkb and they said they will sanitise my car (but I already vaccinated) and align the wheels ($80-$100). 

I like the XC40 but not that much that I cannot switch to another brand. Any advice? I am escalating to Volvo International.

6 hours ago, TPHANG said:

@Jamesc Would any of you know the cost of Volvo maintenance? I just had two tail struts on my XC40 fail me. (Of course warranty expire; otherwise why the part expire?) 

And Volvo SG (Wearnes) charged me $768.91 (after a 15% discount). I went online https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/tailgate-struts-10926/volvo/xc40/xc40-536/128759-t5-awd and the parts do not cost more than 27UK pound. That is, each strut should cost less than $50. Ok, we multiply by 3 for taxes. Still $150 ech. But I got charged more than 15 times the cost. 

I know GCB prices have gone up and we know that bosses must live in them. But even the prices of GCB have not gone up that much that quickly. 

I kpkb and they said they will sanitise my car (but I already vaccinated) and align the wheels ($80-$100). 

I like the XC40 but not that much that I cannot switch to another brand. Any advice? I am escalating to Volvo International.

Less than 1k for 2 struts pretty normal pricing imo. 

A GCB here allowed you to get  3 or 4 manisons oversea. Cannot compare this way bros.

• Haha! 1

Neutral Newbie

Hi All,

I am new here. 
Thinking of buy a 2nd hand 2014 Jeep Cherokee 2.4. But worry about maintenance and spare parts. Does the car break down often?
Any owner of this car can advise?

thanks and appreciate 

Jason 

On 10/13/2021 at 12:44 AM, TPHANG said:

Rear struts DIY also can lah. Simple job. I did before. Just go outside workshop. The ADs all chop carrots. 

The money saved can use to buy kopi for MCF members who give you great advise. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3