Hazardous appliances

Unltd

Supersonic

Many power extensions use much thinner wires than those run in your typical hdb flat sockets. My guess is about half the diameter.

Don't believe, just open both up and see the wires.

In other words, avoid plugging your electrical kettle, or any high power appliances into a extension, but directly plug into the wall socket.

• Praise 2

i am using item No. 3 at home, so far no overheating problem, maybe i only use the USB ports most of the time and the power plug few minutes each time.

I also use No. 3 in an office, better to remove it, the overheating I believe is inside the case. So it may not be noticeable, I am gonna get rid of it and buy another.

such "universal" sockets are not approved in Singapore. Use at own risk

1236117505.g_400-w_g.jpg

What about these with the safety marks logo? they should be approved right? 

• Praise 1

Where to buy?

I want to get all 5 to put in MIL room.

:D

Those gadget places and Sim Lim for sure have... look for packaging that had been opened and looks like it has been returned, I understand those are tested and working. So it’s safer for your MIL.

• Praise 1

ec934c8d-c88f-462e-9ba6-7eb5b127ba0d.jpg

I think LDNIO SC3604 (No. 3) is quite popular here. I checked it doesn't have a fused plug and the wire is only 0.75mm2 which is likely insufficiently rated for 13A, but probably OK for charging 2-3 mobile phones. If plug in a few high power appliances at a time, the wire can overheat, melt and burn before the circuit breaker cut it off.

Most Safety Mark extensions I've seen use 3x40/0076 (1.17mm2) wires.

@Unltd

Thanks for highlighting... scary.... I actually plug in multiple devices...

Supersonic
(edited)

Are there any Safety Mark certified wall socket with USB ports ? Seems they are all MIC non-certified ones ?

Nope. Though I heard some brands are submitting for certification. Even branded ones out there have no certification currently, I'm using MK brand that is Made-in-UK 

Edited by Othello

ec934c8d-c88f-462e-9ba6-7eb5b127ba0d.jpg

I think LDNIO SC3604 (No. 3) is quite popular here. I checked it doesn't have a fused plug and the wire is only 0.75mm2 which is likely insufficiently rated for 13A, but probably OK for charging 2-3 mobile phones. If plug in a few high power appliances at a time, the wire can overheat, melt and burn before the circuit breaker cut it off.

Most Safety Mark extensions I've seen use 3x40/0076 (1.17mm2) wires.

@Unltd

I plug in a fan that runs about few hours lately, so far nothing wrong.

Thanks for highlighting... scary.... I actually plug in multiple devices...

I dun plug in multiple appliances, only one at a time. But I do plug 2-3 mobile devices to the USB ports.

My boh-tak-chek calculation sala .. your fan if only around 50W probably draw less than 1A, so no worries keep blowing. [laugh] It's high current appliances likes vacuum cleaners, oven (>1000W), you got to be careful with this extension.

@Jman888

actually it was a smaller fan with only 24W [laugh] the extension only use in the room with minimum usage.

Supersonic

My boh-tak-chek calculation sala .. your fan if only around 50W probably draw less than 1A, so no worries keep blowing. [laugh] It's high current appliances likes vacuum cleaners, oven (>1000W), you got to be careful with this extension.

@Jman888

handheld vibrator?

I plug in a fan that runs about few hours lately, so far nothing wrong.

I dun plug in multiple appliances, only one at a time. But I do plug 2-3 mobile devices to the USB ports.

I plug many many devices... lol, I am gonna throw that plug away!

↡ Advertisement