Motor vehicles travel too Fast on SG Roads

RadX

After 4 pages / 68 posts, why no one mention abolishing ERP and COE? Like that can easily hit 30Km/h mark without the need to make our road narrower, reduce paring space, etc. etc. [grin]:D:D

U looking for me ?? I’m BAN Coe
  • Praise 1

It's entirely plausible that she confuses mph with kmh.

This is what I think too. I drove in UK alot and in their small towns the 30mph limit is used alot and I think sometimes even thats too fast when super narrow lanes.

But 30kmh ... lmao

• Praise 1

I took train to work for a year. To get to train station I used an electric skateboard for about 10 minutes, at about 8:30 in the morning. You would think I arrive in style right? All my work shirts got arm pit stains and I smelled of city fumes. And I rubbed major deodorant before I leave home. I don't know if it's my overactive sweat glands but it's not very appealing to me and my colleagues. I'm back to driving to work. 

• Praise 2

This is why cycling or PMD as a form of general commute for general office workers won't work well in this tropical climate. Yes, it's possible, you commute then you shower, then start work. I know some people do it.

In other drier climate, even during hot summer, you won't perspire as much as here where humidity is hardly below 70%-80%, and often above 90%.

This is also why our former PM said air-con was the greatest invention for Singapore. And probably why he and his forward-looking team didn't plan ahead for bicycle lanes. Instead, we have air-con buses, LRT and MRT. [laugh]

That’s why he was much loved by the people becos he felt us...if he’s still around today, I think whoever got that 30kph here would be slapped by the man himself.

I think ac is one of man’s greatest inventions...but it’s not all that great for the environment though. But then....where’s my ac remote controller? Sibeh zuah these days.

Singaporeans, you got to slow down, please accept the expert advice. It's for the sake of your health...

So stop booking 2hrs at hotel. Go for 4hrs or 6hrs slots. :gangs:

• Praise 1

In SG, some roads like school zone also 40kmh or lower but seldom see people stick to it.

No enforcement.. aust sch zone 40km/h, everyone sticks to it, because you never know when there's a copper there, 20km/h over and you'll be hit with a $300-$500 fine

Turbocharged

My Ang Moh friend said this expert doesn't know the different between mph and kph. 

In general,

their main road is 40mph/64.4kph

Inner town centre and small street is 30mph/48.3kph

Outside school is 20mph/32.3kph

Expressway is 60mph/96.6kph

Montorways is 70mph

i actually checked this up in google :D

always thought the whole world is using metric standard (metre, grams, litre, etc), except old stubborn US who is still using imperial (miles, feet, pounds, gallons, etc)

yuan lai UK is also still (partially) using imperial measurements

Singaporeans, you got to slow down, please accept the expert advice. It's for the sake of your health...

So stop booking 2hrs at hotel. Go for 4hrs or 6hrs slots. :gangs:

Action less than an hour leh.. then pay so many hours to sleep?

Not efficient leh

No enforcement.. aust sch zone 40km/h, everyone sticks to it, because you never know when there's a copper there, 20km/h over and you'll be hit with a $300-$500 fine

Yes so true. The lack of enforcement in Singapore is the "major" issue.

In Australia, enforcement is everywhere and common. You can even get a ticket on how you park your car in a parking lot eg. in Sydney a sign may indicate "Head-In" parking only. 

I have driven quite a bit over the last 10-years while in Australia, have never been ticketed as I have followed their traffic rules religiously. I have even taken a breath anaylser test at 1pm.

In Australia, I have also learned that cars travelling on the left-most lane on a highway have to slow down and give way to other motor vehicles entering and merging onto the highway from the left-side slip road. In small towns, even the roads are empty, I travel at 30-40km/h.

• Praise 2

Yes so true. The lack of enforcement in Singapore is the "major" issue.

In Australia, enforcement is everywhere and common. You can even get a ticket on how you park your car in a parking lot eg. in Sydney a sign may indicate "Head-In" parking only.

I have driven quite a bit over the last 10-years while in Australia, have never been ticketed as I have followed their traffic rules religiously. I have even taken a breath anaylser test at 1pm.

In Australia, I have also learned that cars travelling on the left-most lane on a highway have to slow down and give way to other motor vehicles entering and merging onto the highway from the left-side slip road. In small towns, even the roads are empty, I travel at 30-40km/h.

I've never driven in OZ nor would I want to. They're complete pricks over there, and I'm not just talking about the cops.
  • Praise 2

in central london, take public transport (i presonally preferred the bus if possible), or cycle is better. problem with cycling is theft. i got 3 bikes stolen in less than 6 months... then i switched to a bus card.

Sure.

They also have:

- cheaper cars lasting indefinitely

- a more liberal car culture, allowing kit cars

- a large number of racing tracks to choose from, without having to cross national borders (one - Brands Hatch - is just 30km away from the heart of London)

- a much more polite road culture (people are generally not pricks on the road)

- (and if I really didn't feel like driving) better penetration of the tube network

If they had all those in Singapore, I would also be much happier with this place, motoring and commuting-wise.

One takes the good with the bad.

I read https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits and https://www.lta.gov.sg/content/ltaweb/en/roads-and-motoring/road-safety-and-regulations/road-regulations.html.

Comparing UK and Singapore speed limit, there is hardly any difference, What is she talking about?? 

For example, in built up area, speed limit is 48km/hr in UK while in Singapore, it is 50km/hr. 

I drove in London, Edinburgh, Liverpool, Birmingham , York and Newcastle before. They have mostly low population density in most areas with hardly any buidling taller than our average HDB. We definitely have a higher car density per unit land area than UK and London. I will say we area coping better than them. 

We can't possibly cycle to work in Singapore given the hot and humid weather. In London, I can walk the entire day without sweating let alone cycle. How to work while you area drenched in sweat and reeked for body odour.

I disagree that local drivers area prick. I have seen hooligans in UK behaving worse than sg. 

Singapore and London area different. She should be UK public health expert and not a sg public health expert. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1