Night at Orchard

StreetFight3r

Visitors to Orchard Road will soon be able to grab a bite from a food truck and catch a street performance under the stars.

A new monthly night-time event will kick off in May to inject vibrancy into the shopping belt's offerings after dusk.

Called Night at Orchard, it will feature arts, fashion, food and musical performances by buskers every first weekend of the month, organiser Orchard Road Business Association (Orba) told The Straits Times.

The first edition of the roving event will be held on the pedestrian walkways between Ion Orchard and Ngee Ann City on May 3, starting at 5pm. More details will be made available in the coming weeks.

It is part of a year-long trial for Orba to bring pop-up concepts and arts and entertainment events to pedestrian spaces along the street.

First announced in January as a piece of larger plans to refresh Orchard Road, the trial will kick off this month with a pop-up by Korean cosmetics brand Hera.

The Singapore Tourism Board's (STB) chief executive, Mr Keith Tan, told ST in a recent interview that the latest attempt to rejuvenate the 2.4km stretch must not "just remain plans".

There will be visible changes to the street from this year, starting with the street-level activities curated by Orba, he said.

Later phases may see other government proposals come to fruition, including the addition of more greenery and turning part of the street car-free.

Compared to countries like Taiwan with many famous permanent night markets - Shi Lin, Rao He, Shida etc etc, Bangkok - Chatuchak, Asiatique etc etc, even Malaysia got many night markets - Jonker, Alor Street, and as near as the night market outside KSL on Mondays, sg really lose out on street vibrancy. all we have are malls,malls, clean streets. even the shops in the malls are such repetition. every small same shops same items. everytime i go overseas youll be sure i plan night markets into our itinerary for the family. these vendors should also bring some form of uniqueness or identity in the items they are selling. if you go bali, theyre known for their rattan, wood, handmade products with engraving. we need some form of identity that represents sg and not just generic stuff we can buy from inside the malls. 

its a good step forward to allow buskers, street vendors into places like orchard, gardens by the bay etc. just hope we are not too late to play catchup, and not too rigid.

Edited by StreetFight3r
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Pasar Malam just say Pasar Malam lah! Simi Night at Orchard....I wonder how much they pay conned-sultants to come up with this name. Like "Budget Terminal" and "Marina Bay".

Hope no one kena food poisoning!

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 4

$10 unicorn drink ah? mai la.

I so happy got Jewel open up near my place, no need go Orchard rd liao :x

Edited by Mockngbrd

Pasar Malam just say Pasar Malam lah! Simi Night at Orchard....I wonder how much they pay conned-sultants to come up with this name. Like "Budget Terminal" and "Marina Bay".

They have to call it with nice nice name, so that the food that they sell also ex ex! Lol.

Singapore also have Pasar malam and crowded. Only thing the price is restuarant price for mediocre food.

Just a few years back, went to the yearly geylang Pasar malam with my son. Spent more than $80 or so. Food so so nia. Told my son, we would have more satisfying food for $50 at Aston, Collins or jackplace.

Edited by Ender
  • Praise 1

Singapore also have Pasar malam and crowded. Only thing the price is restuarant price for mediocre food.

Just a few years back, went to the yearly geylang Pasar malam with my son. Spent more than $80 or so. Food so so nia. Told my son, we would have more satisfying food for $50 at Aston, Collins or jackplace.

You spent more than $80 on pasar malam food?!  :o

I wonder how they will feel if they see this
  • Praise 1

Twincharged

i swore never to eat any pasar malam more than 10years ago. almost unedible crappy food. now i just go there after a nicer dinner and squeeze to look see. mostly rubbish food stalls out to make a quick buck.

i swore never to eat any pasar malam more than 10years ago. almost unedible crappy food. now i just go there after a nicer dinner and squeeze to look see. mostly rubbish food stalls out to make a quick buck.

Er...but there are some nice snacks. I love the fried oyster cake or "haobin" (Mandarin). Teochew is called Orr pia. But, price went from $1.80 to $3.50 now
  • Praise 1