2017 2nd Generation Mazda CX-5

Carbon82

Hey guys, can any owners share how’s the pick up for the new 2.0 cx-5? Acceptable or still underpowered like the Mz 3? Also any idea what’s the rpm like when traveling at 90km/h on 6th gear on highway? Thanks!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hey guys, can any owners share how’s the pick up for the new 2.0 cx-5? Acceptable or still underpowered like the Mz 3? Also any idea what’s the rpm like when traveling at 90km/h on 6th gear on highway? Thanks!

I test drove the CX-5 and Mz3 back to back and these are my impressions. With a kerbweight of 1.6 tonne and torque of 210Nm at 4000 rpm, this is not a fast car and almost any sporty car will overtake you at the lights. But for normal driving, acceleration and filtering pick-up is adequate. It is not an underpowered car.

I also test drove the 2.5 CX-5, it is of course smoother but I won't say it is fast.

The Mz3's engine was continually working very hard and whining throughout my drive whilst the CX-5 was quite quiet, this could just be due to better noise insulation. Rpm is generally kept low in the CX-5. At 90km/hr, the rpm is around 2000 (IIRC). With the low rpm, the CX-5 is quite efficient at highway cruising speed (i.e. no stopping) and you can get 18.5km/L. Mixed city driving it will drop down to 11-12 km/L.

The graph shows the rpm at 90km/hr to be about 1800, (it is for the 2.5). To convert for the 2.0, you x4.624/4.325 and you get 1924.

post-158018-0-27475500-1535678969_thumb.jpg

• Praise 2

Hi ecube/tay,

CX5's engine is nearer to the cabin than the mazda6 that extends much further .... same experience. The turbulence is also difference with higher ride height and undercarriage having more volume of air to resonant imho.

I took a different route and booked the mazda executive even with priority on getting a SUV but still in mazda family :)

Will be looking at autofoam and insulation of dashboard to quiet the mazda6 a bit.

Cheers,

Richard

Hi Richard,

Have you ever considered and tried Peugeot 3008 1.6T when considering cx5?

Hi Richard,

Have you ever considered and tried Peugeot 3008 1.6T when considering cx5?

Hi Ecube,

Yes I did but pricing vs resale and reliability stopped me from going for test drive.

Heard many good things about new peugeot including good FC anf improved reliability but still could not get over mentioned .. freaking nightmare even qausi Japan nissan-renault qashqai 1.2l to say the least ..lol !

Thanks and done with new car search .. finger crossed.

Cheers.

Richard

Hi Ecube,

Yes I did but pricing vs resale and reliability stopped me from going for test drive.

Heard many good things about new peugeot including good FC anf improved reliability but still could not get over mentioned .. freaking nightmare even qausi Japan nissan-renault qashqai 1.2l to say the least ..lol !

Thanks and done with new car search .. finger crossed.

Cheers.

Richard

Hi Richard,

I also concern for the reliability. But the exterior and especially interior design is really nice. Probably the best in this price range. Today ST ads price is $122888, similar to CX5.

• Praise 1

There is a saying somewhere:

Heaven is where the police are British,

the cooks are French,

the car mechanics German,

the lovers Italian and it's all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the chefs are British,

the car mechanics French,

the lover's Swiss,

the police German and it's all organised by the Italians.

• Praise 2

Can I check what warranty does AD here give ? Called up ubi on cx-5 ..SE mentioned 3 years ?

Aren't most others giving 5 years ?

Deciding between CX-5 and 3008 :)

Yep, i tried to push for 5.. but they are not budging as yet.. lets see what happens after wednesday's COE bidding.

Also note that any delivery now is like december... they are definitely not motivated to push cars out.. Personally if they had the 2l turbo i would buy right now.

Yep, i tried to push for 5.. but they are not budging as yet.. lets see what happens after wednesday's COE bidding.

Also note that any delivery now is like december... they are definitely not motivated to push cars out.. Personally if they had the 2l turbo i would buy right now.

Gave up CX 5 because of delivery lead time in Nov/Dec and warranty only 3 yrs

What are you going for next?

Tried out the X-Trail but didn't like it... Went for 3008 instead

MX 5? [laugh]

Lol... If not for the kid ;)

Gave up CX 5 because of delivery lead time in Nov/Dec and warranty only 3 yrs

Anyway the SE messaged me with a deal on demo unit for CX-5 at discounted price that is available in Oct ... Too late for me as I ve already collected another car..however if anyone else is keen
  • Praise 2