2017 2nd Generation Mazda CX-5

Carbon82

On 8/16/2021 at 12:10 PM, aileen80 said:

Thanks a lot for your deep thought... I really need to get a car.. So  pray hard COE will not spike significantly until I receive my driving license.... I also pray harddddd to pass driving test on my first try soon... 

Insurance for P plate driver will be quite fierce, ever thought of getting 2nd hand car?

48 minutes ago, aileen80 said:

How much did you settle on BMW216i? 

$150k is out of my budget.. As I m first time buyer, I prefer a more reliable car. 

Mazda is feature packed one leh, it wont be as reliable as the kosong honda/toyota. More techy stuff = more things that can spoil = more time spent at workshop/$$$ spent on repairs.

Most common issues are the auto fold side mirrors not working and suspension krok krok sound when raining =D And somehow the istop likes to chew thru batteries before 1-2 years is up...

Edited by yellowshaun
↡ Advertisement

2 hours ago, aileen80 said:

How much did you settle on BMW216i? 

$150k is out of my budget.. As I m first time buyer, I prefer a more reliable car. 

I got my BMW216i at $129K, so it was an easy choice for me back then. Small price gap vs CX5 + the 5yrs warranty + servicing made the decision easy.

However PML have since cleared all their stocks for 216i, and now selling the 218i instead. Price difference is ard $30-40K, so I wouldn't exactly recommend 218i at current promo. 

If I'm not wrong, Mercedes B180 was also at promo of $130+ few wks back. Worth considering too.

Don't misunderstand me, not trying to shoot down CX5 here, jus stating some alternatives for you to make an informed decision 🙂

1 hour ago, yellowshaun said:

Insurance for P plate driver will be quite fierce, ever thought of getting 2nd hand car?

Mazda is feature packed one leh, it wont be as reliable as the kosong honda/toyota. More techy stuff = more things that can spoil = more time spent at workshop/$$$ spent on repairs.

Most common issues are the auto fold side mirrors not working and suspension krok krok sound when raining =D And somehow the istop likes to chew thru batteries before 1-2 years is up...

That’s not true that Mazda is less reliable than Honda / Toyota. Those issues u pointed out are minor ones which don’t affect the driveability of the car as compared to clutch, mechatronic and turbo issues that a fair number of conti cars suffer from (granted this has improved over the last few years) 

Edited by shawn207

Neutral Newbie
2 hours ago, yellowshaun said:

Thanks for letting me know the minor issues Mazda is likely to have. My ex owns a conti car which periodically has turbo issue.. he has to send it back to workshop constantly… so I’m more pro to Japanese car. As Harrier is out of my budget and I don’t like Toyota other SUV design, plus I feel Honda is over priced, so I think to get Mazda. 
second hand car is too risky to me. I don’t have any clue on how to check car, so better stick to new car. 

Neutral Newbie
35 minutes ago, shawn207 said:

That’s not true that Mazda is less reliable than Honda / Toyota. Those issues u pointed out are minor ones which don’t affect the driveability of the car as compared to clutch, mechatronic and turbo issues that a fair number of conti cars suffer from (granted this has improved over the last few years) 

I agree with you.. 

13 minutes ago, aileen80 said:

I agree with you.. 

I considered cx5 before getting my cx30. Cx5 was only 117k then. But I prefer the newer platform of the cx30 and my other half wasn’t confident to handle the bigger cx5. As I don’t see very many newly registered cx5 on the roads perhaps TEK will be more open to nego on the listed price. All the best! 

1 hour ago, aileen80 said:

Thanks for letting me know the minor issues Mazda is likely to have. My ex owns a conti car which periodically has turbo issue.. he has to send it back to workshop constantly… so I’m more pro to Japanese car. As Harrier is out of my budget and I don’t like Toyota other SUV design, plus I feel Honda is over priced, so I think to get Mazda. 
second hand car is too risky to me. I don’t have any clue on how to check car, so better stick to new car. 

Ya made in Japan cars are likely to be less problematic than conti.

Toyota vios/altis, Honda city/civic are made in Thailand so build quality arguably cannot fight with mazda.

I had the same dilemma as you last year when I got my first car. Also don't know how to check so I was sticking to only those cars that are fully serviced by AD so I know they won't be mileage adjusted ex-PHV cars.

Too bad the used car dealers mark up the newish cars high high so I just bought brand new for like a few hundred a month depre higher (than the 1-2 year old cars)...

Neutral Newbie
49 minutes ago, shawn207 said:

I considered cx5 before getting my cx30. Cx5 was only 117k then. But I prefer the newer platform of the cx30 and my other half wasn’t confident to handle the bigger cx5. As I don’t see very many newly registered cx5 on the roads perhaps TEK will be more open to nego on the listed price. All the best! 

I have been considering CX30 too.. how is your cx30 overall performance? Is it comfortable sitting in the rear seat?  I’ll be a p plate driver and not very confident to handle big car either. 

On 8/18/2021 at 2:55 PM, oleoleole said:

I got my BMW216i at $129K, so it was an easy choice for me back then. Small price gap vs CX5 + the 5yrs warranty + servicing made the decision easy.

However PML have since cleared all their stocks for 216i, and now selling the 218i instead. Price difference is ard $30-40K, so I wouldn't exactly recommend 218i at current promo. 

If I'm not wrong, Mercedes B180 was also at promo of $130+ few wks back. Worth considering too.

Don't misunderstand me, not trying to shoot down CX5 here, jus stating some alternatives for you to make an informed decision 🙂

I wouldn’t even put either the BMW2 series or the Merc B as alternatives honestly. They resemble more of mini MPVs or over sized hatch backs and not in a good way aesthetically to me. If someone is in the market for a compact SUV, then those aren’t really serious contenders in any way aside from the price, in which case many other models would also be. 

BMW X1 and 3 yes, and the Merc GLA and B would probably be viable alternatives to me at least. Between an X1 and a cx5, I believe the interior of the X1 given its an entry model in their line up will see more liberal use of plastics compared to the Cx5. Not entirely sure what features come with the 130k bmw 2 series and the Merc b180 but I suspect you’d be missing out on a couple of features versus the Cx5 luxury trim.  You do have to remember you tend to get lesser car for the price with bmw and mercs because some of the money goes to paying for the badge.

Drive wise you’d prob get a slightly more punchy one with the X1 but that’s probably about it. X3 will definitely best the Cx5 but that comes at a huge price premium. 

In terms of reliability, you’d find the Cx5 sitting pretty high on reliability scoring if you do a search  versus the conti alternatives. Speaking generally,  conti rides all drive great in the first three years or so but thereafter you’d have to start worrying.

Ultimately goes back to what one is looking for. Brand prestige or value for money. 

• Praise 1

On 8/18/2021 at 3:28 PM, shawn207 said:

Yup, spot on.

But usually this comes with experience of having owning conti cars and having to deal with the issues you’ve mentioned to truly understand the horror of wondering how and why you are dealing with those problems when you bought a “premium conti” ride whilst your buddy is happily zipping around in his non conti ride and picking you up from the workshop after you’ve dropped the car off for the xth time to get a problem fixed.

On a lighter note I call this the journey/circle of life.

Start with a shitty entry jap or Korean ride, look up to conti ride and one day buy it. Drive it and feel syiok because you’d just came from a shitty ride…until it breaks down and breaks you down in a couple of years. Then you learn a lesson.

if you earn enough by then, sell it off to another fella whose enamored with badge prestige for him  to deal with the problem and buy another new conti ride. Or buy a Lexus. If you don’t earn enough or decide money should be more prudently spent, then buy the mid tier Japanese / Korean makes to hunt for a good balance of car for money.

• Praise 2

34 minutes ago, Kopickosong said:

I wouldn’t even put either the BMW2 series or the Merc B as alternatives honestly. They resemble more of mini MPVs or over sized hatch backs and not in a good way aesthetically to me. If someone is in the market for a compact SUV, then those aren’t really serious contenders in any way aside from the price, in which case many other models would also be. 

BMW X1 and 3 yes, and the Merc GLA and B would probably be viable alternatives to me at least. Between an X1 and a cx5, I believe the interior of the X1 given its an entry model in their line up will see more liberal use of plastics compared to the Cx5. Not entirely sure what features come with the 130k bmw 2 series and the Merc b180 but I suspect you’d be missing out on a couple of features versus the Cx5 luxury trim.  You do have to remember you tend to get lesser car for the price with bmw and mercs because some of the money goes to paying for the badge.

Drive wise you’d prob get a slightly more punchy one with the X1 but that’s probably about it. X3 will definitely best the Cx5 but that comes at a huge price premium. 

In terms of reliability, you’d find the Cx5 sitting pretty high on reliability scoring if you do a search  versus the conti alternatives. Speaking generally,  conti rides all drive great in the first three years or so but thereafter you’d have to start worrying.

Ultimately goes back to what one is looking for. Brand prestige or value for money. 

And one more point that does get missed in the midst of badge prestige… on paper the x1 and perhaps the 218 might look like it’s priced quite competitively, but I believe they’re both on 3 cylinder engines. So all in all they won’t and don’t stack up very well from value perspective.

The X3 is the real contender as mentioned above, at least you get something decent under the hood with a 4 cyl turbo charged engine. But that comes at a really steep price premium. 

8 hours ago, Kopickosong said:

Yup, spot on.

But usually this comes with experience of having owning conti cars and having to deal with the issues you’ve mentioned to truly understand the horror of wondering how and why you are dealing with those problems when you bought a “premium conti” ride whilst your buddy is happily zipping around in his non conti ride and picking you up from the workshop after you’ve dropped the car off for the xth time to get a problem fixed.

On a lighter note I call this the journey/circle of life.

Start with a shitty entry jap or Korean ride, look up to conti ride and one day buy it. Drive it and feel syiok because you’d just came from a shitty ride…until it breaks down and breaks you down in a couple of years. Then you learn a lesson.

if you earn enough by then, sell it off to another fella whose enamored with badge prestige for him  to deal with the problem and buy another new conti ride. Or buy a Lexus. If you don’t earn enough or decide money should be more prudently spent, then buy the mid tier Japanese / Korean makes to hunt for a good balance of car for money.

I drove a DCT car for 3 years .. after several times of changing clutch I gave up and switched back to normal AT. 

On a side note some conti do come with normal AT gearbox (ZF or Aisin), wonder if these cars would be more reliable than those with DSG/DCT 🤔

On 8/18/2021 at 5:10 PM, aileen80 said:

I have been considering CX30 too.. how is your cx30 overall performance? Is it comfortable sitting in the rear seat?  I’ll be a p plate driver and not very confident to handle big car either. 

Performance would be better than cx5 because body is smaller with the same engine. Don’t expect turbo rivalling performance though, but the power is adequate for Singapore roads. Rear seat is more cramped than the cx5 since its based on the Mazda 3 chassis. But on the plus side it’s a much newer model with a more modern interior (cx5 has been facelifted several times since 2012). Handling and feedback from the road is great, drives like a hatchback actually because it’s not really much higher. 

some people find the plastic trims on the cx30 polarising, I wasn’t a fan initially but I got a dark colour so it all blends in pretty well and got used to it now. 

8 hours ago, Kopickosong said:

Hi there, you're right on various points - I believe I would have been equally happy if I ended up with the CX5!

Like I mentioned previously, CX5's ride was comfortable and the interior was quite premium and luxurious.

What made me decide on 216i GT was

1. Flexibility of additional 2 seats - perfect for the weekend extended family outing 

2. When the additional 2 seats are put down - spacious boot for our foldies + alot more barang barang! 

3. Turbo engine gives higher torque during low revs - felt more suitable for city driving 

4. Lower rd tax for 1.5L engine vs 2L

5. High ARF of $39K - meaning depre of the BMW is only $11K

6. This is my second conti, in between I have driven 4 jap/Korean car makes - badge value is there but not the priority. 

7. The drive / handling - I duno how to say, but BMWs are really something different, even if it's FWD model. Probably need to test drive then will understand. 

8. PML's after service - they really pamper you from test drive - signing - collection of car - servicing - dedicated WA chat for any enquiries or questions abt the car etc. Again, need to experience then will understand. 

But hey, all cars have their pros and cons. One man's meat is another's poison. Maybe few yrs down the road, I'll change to CX8! 🙂

• Praise 2

On 8/18/2021 at 12:12 PM, oleoleole said:

@aileen80 
CX5 was on my shortlist previously too, in fact i was very close to putting down a deposit before I settled on the BMW 216i GT at PML's June Financial year-end sale.
Mazda's interior has always been the best among the Japs (barring Lexus), but in the end after test drive, I decided against it because the drive just wasnt quite as enjoyable.

Maybe its the slow-shifting 6sp GB? or the slightly sluggish 2.0 NA engine? im not sure. But CX-5's ride comfort is definitely there. Seats are cushy, suspension is soft and enjoyable. Would have prefer Turbo-charged though for higher torque during low-revs.

Jus wondering - since now BMW X1 is doing agressive promo at ~$149K with 5yrs warranty + 5yrs servicing, would it turn the heads of prospective CX5 (or similar ~$130K price range) buyers? Hmm..

CX5 drive not quite as enjoyable? Can elaborate?

24 minutes ago, andrewyewkc said:

CX5 drive not quite as enjoyable? Can elaborate?

Erm, again I must reiterate - I'm not an engineer, nor do I claim to be a knowleageable car guru - but based on personal butt feeling, I feel that CX5 is slightly sluggish during pickup/move-off, but all is well when up to crusing speed (expected of a 2.0NA engine).

Also, the 6sp AT upshifts pretty gingerly, and sometimes have the "not sure to upshift or downshift" feeling during fast maneuvure situations. 7sp DCT enables much more spirited driving and better fuel efficiency, but as some of the gurus here pointed out - may require more TLC.

Just my 2cents..

2 hours ago, oleoleole said:

Erm, again I must reiterate - I'm not an engineer, nor do I claim to be a knowleageable car guru - but based on personal butt feeling, I feel that CX5 is slightly sluggish during pickup/move-off, but all is well when up to crusing speed (expected of a 2.0NA engine).

Also, the 6sp AT upshifts pretty gingerly, and sometimes have the "not sure to upshift or downshift" feeling during fast maneuvure situations. 7sp DCT enables much more spirited driving and better fuel efficiency, but as some of the gurus here pointed out - may require more TLC.

Just my 2cents..

Thanks for your reply. Interesting comment because the CX-5 has been described in most reviews as having excellent handling and one of the best SUV to drive. 

https://www.evo.co.uk/mazda/cx-5/ride-and-handling 

8 minutes ago, andrewyewkc said:

Thanks for your reply. Interesting comment because the CX-5 has been described in most reviews as having excellent handling and one of the best SUV to drive. 

https://www.evo.co.uk/mazda/cx-5/ride-and-handling 

It seems that the variant they tested was with the 2.2L Diesel engine, 6sp manual and 4x4 AWD.
So maybe not exactly apple-to-apples with local version..

↡ Advertisement