2017 2nd Generation Mazda CX-5

Carbon82

40 minutes ago, oleoleole said:

It seems that the variant they tested was with the 2.2L Diesel engine, 6sp manual and 4x4 AWD.
So maybe not exactly apple-to-apples with local version..

Haha, I just paste one review for you to see. There are many reviews on the internet. 

By the way I have test driven the local versions of both the CX-5 and BMW X1 and I agree that BMW are certainly nice to drive.

Edited by andrewyewkc
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

@aileen80 

Do you mean the Karoq? If you get it brand new today, it attracts a VES C1 rating, i.e. a $15k VES surcharge / penalty. Personally, I'd pass. The only time I'd ever consider paying VES surcharge would be if I'm buying a performance car.  

I'd say go look at the Kamiq instead, but best do some homework on what DSG gearbox is used. I would stay the hell away from the DSG and Dry clutch combi. Take it from someone that has been burnt by it before. 

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie
11 hours ago, Kopickosong said:

@aileen80 

Do you mean the Karoq? If you get it brand new today, it attracts a VES C1 rating, i.e. a $15k VES surcharge / penalty. Personally, I'd pass. The only time I'd ever consider paying VES surcharge would be if I'm buying a performance car.  

I'd say go look at the Kamiq instead, but best do some homework on what DSG gearbox is used. I would stay the hell away from the DSG and Dry clutch combi. Take it from someone that has been burnt by it before. 

Yes, I mean Karoq..  Kamiq uses 7-speed (A) DSG, I m scared it might give me lots of problems after 50k mileage.. While Karoq uses 8-speed (A) transmission, that's why I'm considering it instead of Kamiq. VES surcharge is really a headache.. Pays 15k for nothing.. sigh

@aileen80 

Personally, there are two things in cars I look out for before anything else, (1) DSG (2) 3 cylinder cars. 

DSG
As someone who owned and got burnt by the DSG before, I would say your worry is very much warranted. When they work in the initial days, its a dream to drive... until they don't. The nightmare that follows just isn't worth it.

Sold ours off before around the 4 year mark, because it was just getting ridiculous. All the supposed fixes, weren't effective and problem kept coming back. At one point it was quite malu even ferrying other people around because it drove worse than a manual lorry when it upshifts in lower gears.

Some will tell you, it'd be fine if you look after it well. I can tell you off the bat that is bullocks. We serviced the car at the AD since day 1 per the schedule.

3 cyl engine
3 cylinder cars suffer a "similar" problem, when you first test drive it and in its initial early mileage, all is well. Later on, it becomes a "massage" chair as folks in a car group I'm in will "joke" due to the inherent trait of 3 cylinders. Usually great when its new such that you don't know it, but that's also down to manufacturers deploying additional counter solutions to "cover it". These parts do wear out over time and fail, so you get a pretty rough ride later on. 

By its nature, it isn't meant to provide a refined experience, but it works out really well for manufacturers because its cheaper to manufacture, and gives better fuel efficiency which works great in today's world where emissions are a big thing. So personally, if I'm shelling out money for rides that aren't "budget" or "entry" tiers, 3 cyl engine is a huge no for me. You get far less car for the money.

• Praise 4

12 hours ago, Kopickosong said:

@aileen80 

Personally, there are two things in cars I look out for before anything else, (1) DSG (2) 3 cylinder cars. 

DSG
As someone who owned and got burnt by the DSG before, I would say your worry is very much warranted. When they work in the initial days, its a dream to drive... until they don't. The nightmare that follows just isn't worth it.

Sold ours off before around the 4 year mark, because it was just getting ridiculous. All the supposed fixes, weren't effective and problem kept coming back. At one point it was quite malu even ferrying other people around because it drove worse than a manual lorry when it upshifts in lower gears.

Some will tell you, it'd be fine if you look after it well. I can tell you off the bat that is bullocks. We serviced the car at the AD since day 1 per the schedule.

3 cyl engine
3 cylinder cars suffer a "similar" problem, when you first test drive it and in its initial early mileage, all is well. Later on, it becomes a "massage" chair as folks in a car group I'm in will "joke" due to the inherent trait of 3 cylinders. Usually great when its new such that you don't know it, but that's also down to manufacturers deploying additional counter solutions to "cover it". These parts do wear out over time and fail, so you get a pretty rough ride later on. 

By its nature, it isn't meant to provide a refined experience, but it works out really well for manufacturers because its cheaper to manufacture, and gives better fuel efficiency which works great in today's world where emissions are a big thing. So personally, if I'm shelling out money for rides that aren't "budget" or "entry" tiers, 3 cyl engine is a huge no for me. You get far less car for the money.

Fully agree on the DSG. I drove a DCT equipped car for 3 years .. tried to not creep the car, warm up car before moving off, drive at manual mode at low speeds ... in the end still changed clutch twice within 45k km. I had serviced at AD and car was stock (no tune or modification done). Decided to bite the bullet and sell the car at the 3 year mark (lucky my coe in 2018 was low so it was pretty much straight line depre). 

Did consider VW group cars with the 8 speed auto like Skoda karoq and seat ateca but decided i can’t take the risk of changing car often and decided to get a Mazda instead. 

there are really not much choices of car if you want to avoid DSG and CVT transmissions. I know peugeot uses normal AT gearbox but I dare not trust french reliability 😅

Edited by shawn207
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

@aileen80 

DSG

3 cyl engine

I feel very sorry for what you have experienced... Your advice is absolutely valuable to me. Thanks soooo much.

Neutral Newbie
17 minutes ago, shawn207 said:

Fully agree on the DSG. I drove a DCT equipped car for 3 years .. tried to not creep the car, warm up car before moving off, drive at manual mode at low speeds ... in the end still changed clutch twice within 45k km. I had serviced at AD and car was stock (no tune or modification done). Decided to bite the bullet and sell the car at the 3 year mark (lucky my coe in 2018 was low so it was pretty much straight line depre). 

Did consider VW group cars with the 8 speed auto like Skoda karoq and seat ateca but decided i can’t take the risk of changing car often and decided to get a Mazda instead. 

there are really not much choices of car if you want to avoid DSG and CVT transmissions. I know peugeot uses normal AT gearbox but I dare not trust french reliability 😅

lol... Skoda karoq and seat ateca, these two cars are in my list... I think I know which cars to be deleted from my list 

with surged COE, Mazda CX5 is now priced at 140k+ which I don't think worthwhile.  

@aileen80 

DSG

3 cyl engine

I fully agreed. 

Neutral Newbie
22 minutes ago, Kopickosong said:

@aileen80 Mileage will vary as they say, if you must go down the DSG route, make sure you at least get a wet clutch! All the best in your hunt!

What is your advice of car model for budget of 140k? I know with the surged COE, my choice is really limited.. I would prefer SUV/crossover/hatchback.. Thanks in advance!

↡ Advertisement