Questions regarding piano for young kid and dad

alfakidz85

Bros. I am starting my girl on piano classess soon.  [cool]  As a parent, I want to be able to support her as much as I possibly can. Those who have your kids enrolled for piano classes,are you allowed to sit in? Any parent here who took up an instrument for your kid also? as an adult learner, what are the challenges we may face? eg lack of time, stiff fingers, lack of discipline... I have zero piano knowledge. With the exception of being in the symphonic band as a trumpet player in sec sch and jc times. Any good piano teacher to recommend for young kids and also adult? do you recommend to take lessons in school or at home? looking at cristofori for my girl as its near our place. Have a Yamaha P115 if school does not work out

esp this Just out in the news also https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/piano-teacher-sexual-assault-5-year-old-student-pleads-guilty-11470900?cid=FBcna&fbclid=IwAR32lAVkvi7oAuRsA3GXXJW0253Uvr5CeJzt-43TI9EJXGNdcXGQjXJkeIo

this is not good at all

Edited by alfakidz85
↡ Advertisement

For young beginner I think go to music schools like Ossia, Christofoni etc cheaper. Sometimes they organise mini concerts etc to make it more fun. We have never sat in during the class.

Request for female teacher if you want. Just buy a cheap/second hand electric piano until at least grade 4 or 5 to confirm your kid would not lose interest halfway.

• Praise 2

I know what you are saying and where you are coming from.

FYI for my kids music school what they do is conduct a 8 lesson course(I cant remember the course fee) for the parents so that they can so call guide their children at home. For me personally I didnt attend the course cos I still play the piano and still remember the theory. And the reason why I didnt teach them myself and send them to a music school is becos the school has an easier teaching method for kids to learn. I learned the tough and traditional method, I think a reason why many ppl gave up cos it's not exactly easy. Anyway my goal is for my kids to learn how to play the piano, not going for grades or cert. They can decide later if they want to pursue it further.

The schools name is Opus One music school (www.opusone.com.sg). They use a method called the "snowman" method to teach children. I find it easy to learn with the method. Parents will have no problem understanding as well. Here's Mr Chua the school principal. He will talk in depth about the snowman method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yihLGjb_uFI

There are 3 branch,  Queenstown, Kovan and Bukit Panjang. Look for them in the website. You may choose male or femal teachers.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

Bros. I am starting my girl on piano classess soon.  [cool]  As a parent, I want to be able to support her as much as I possibly can. Those who have your kids enrolled for piano classes,are you allowed to sit in? Any parent here who took up an instrument for your kid also? as an adult learner, what are the challenges we may face? eg lack of time, stiff fingers, lack of discipline... I have zero piano knowledge. With the exception of being in the symphonic band as a trumpet player in sec sch and jc times. Any good piano teacher to recommend for young kids and also adult? do you recommend to take lessons in school or at home? looking at cristofori for my girl as its near our place. Have a Yamaha P115 if school does not work out

esp this Just out in the news also https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/piano-teacher-sexual-assault-5-year-old-student-pleads-guilty-11470900?cid=FBcna&fbclid=IwAR32lAVkvi7oAuRsA3GXXJW0253Uvr5CeJzt-43TI9EJXGNdcXGQjXJkeIo

this is not good at all

Music school usually won't allow parents to sit-in the lesson. Piano will be one-on-one. If you do choose another instrument like a guitar, then there are group lessons and you can attend with your child.

If you choose piano and want to follow the lessons, then your best option is to engage a private teacher.

For the lessons for parents I mentioned earlier the course will teach the parents what your children will be learning. So that after your kid's lesson you can go back home and go thru what he/she had learned each lesson. I think it's pretty comprehensive cos it will cover the basics on theory and pratical at beginner stage. Music lessons are 1 to 1(children). For children depending on age is between 30mins-45mins cos their attention span is very short. Too much info over too long a period they will lose interest and get bored. Actually after listening to what Mr Chua says you would think the way our regular school conduct lessons(be it English/Chinese/Math/Science) is the wrong approach for our kids.

What the principal mentioned is true. There are good pianists out there but not necessary they will become good teachers. I have somewhat gone thru that so I understand. I also gone thru the "because the fees are cheaper and the place is nearby" reasoning. What matters is the teaching approach towards children and the method used. Cos like the principal mentioned the traditional way of learning music is a lot of memory work, processing work(hand/eye coordination) and hard work (practice). Ppl who cant adapt will just quit.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

Bros. I am starting my girl on piano classess soon. [cool] As a parent, I want to be able to support her as much as I possibly can. Those who have your kids enrolled for piano classes,are you allowed to sit in? Any parent here who took up an instrument for your kid also? as an adult learner, what are the challenges we may face? eg lack of time, stiff fingers, lack of discipline... I have zero piano knowledge. With the exception of being in the symphonic band as a trumpet player in sec sch and jc times. Any good piano teacher to recommend for young kids and also adult? do you recommend to take lessons in school or at home? looking at cristofori for my girl as its near our place. Have a Yamaha P115 if school does not work out

esp this Just out in the news also https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/piano-teacher-sexual-assault-5-year-old-student-pleads-guilty-11470900?cid=FBcna&fbclid=IwAR32lAVkvi7oAuRsA3GXXJW0253Uvr5CeJzt-43TI9EJXGNdcXGQjXJkeIo

this is not good at all

My girl started yamaha junior class at age 4 plus. Did about 1.5 semesters. I sat in with her. But found the progress slow since my girl practices more than the rest.

Yamaha does practice some things like listening etc and music appreciation. But one sem at most is sufficient. Yamaha approach is scatter gun to proper piano instruction. So the piano teacher has to compensate later for traditional teaching methods.

Switched to 1 on 1 piano teacher last year and never looked back. But your child must have some attention span. At least 30 mins.

I don't think young boys do well. Girls are better able to concentrate.

My girl just passed grade one abrsm.

I have to say it's a lot of practice almost daily. Does take q a lot of dedication of the child and parents.

Just get a female teacher bah if u r worried.

For young beginner I think go to music schools like Ossia, Christofoni etc cheaper. Sometimes they organise mini concerts etc to make it more fun. We have never sat in during the class.

Request for female teacher if you want. Just buy a cheap/second hand electric piano until at least grade 4 or 5 to confirm your kid would not lose interest halfway.

Depends on when your kids practice. Evening then maybe use digital piano (got earphone jack?)

But a proper upright piano helps with their piano playing. Even at low grade abrsm.

Can I ask which instrument is best for kids to pick up? Guitar, piano or perhaps a wind instrument?

Something that may help them to concentrate better for studies or if anything..... impress girls next time.

Son not even two yet.....

Edited by Piyopico

Turbocharged

Can I ask which instrument is best for kids to pick up? Guitar, piano or perhaps a wind instrument?

Something that may help them to concentrate better for studies or if anything..... impress girls next time.

Son not even two yet.....

My girl gave up piano after grade 8 taken in sec 3.  Never touch the baby-grand since, been 3-4 years..

She started with digital piano and eventually gotten 'real piano' as the feels on digital keys is too light and flat.

Wife and I did thought of learning piano as well, it didn't went well as classical pieces is really not easy.

My girl been through Yamaha, Cristofori...good teacher is hard to find.

Eventually stick with a teacher (At her home) from grade 3.

One positive note...The 7 over years of learning classical piano has help my girl in motor-skill and multi-tasking. 

Some says learning piano from an early age is good for the brain development, quite true in her case.

My older boy was also exposed to piano...he gave up within a month, no interest.

Bottom line, your kid must have some interest...

• Praise 4

Bros. I am starting my girl on piano classess soon. [cool] As a parent, I want to be able to support her as much as I possibly can. Those who have your kids enrolled for piano classes,are you allowed to sit in? Any parent here who took up an instrument for your kid also? as an adult learner, what are the challenges we may face? eg lack of time, stiff fingers, lack of discipline... I have zero piano knowledge. With the exception of being in the symphonic band as a trumpet player in sec sch and jc times. Any good piano teacher to recommend for young kids and also adult? do you recommend to take lessons in school or at home? looking at cristofori for my girl as its near our place. Have a Yamaha P115 if school does not work out

esp this Just out in the news also https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/piano-teacher-sexual-assault-5-year-old-student-pleads-guilty-11470900?cid=FBcna&fbclid=IwAR32lAVkvi7oAuRsA3GXXJW0253Uvr5CeJzt-43TI9EJXGNdcXGQjXJkeIo

this is not good at all

at 2yo plus my did attend those music class. singalong sort where parent must be presence.

as for piano..my wife is coaching my son. His school conduct lessons on violin and pianica once a week.

Guitar is more informal, less on theory, more on entertainment.

Piano and violin are "formal" instruments, very deep into the musical theory in order to really play well, the serious classical music pieces. Not forgetting, piano needs coordination of both hands and feet (pedal, beyond beginner levels).

Piano musical scores have two lines, one for left and one for right hand [laugh]. I can't play cos only one channel at a time connecting eye, hand and brain. But i think children can still develop and make the mental connections.

ukelulu not guitar at that age.

My girl gave up piano after grade 8 taken in sec 3. Never touch the baby-grand since, been 3-4 years..

She started with digital piano and eventually gotten 'real piano' as the feels on digital keys is too light and flat.

Wife and I did thought of learning piano as well, it didn't went well as classical pieces is really not easy.

My girl been through Yamaha, Cristofori...good teacher is hard to find.

Eventually stick with a teacher (At her home) from grade 3.

One positive note...The 7 over years of learning classical piano has help my girl in motor-skill and multi-tasking.

Some says learning piano from an early age is good for the brain development, quite true in her case.

My older boy was also exposed to piano...he gave up within a month, no interest.

Bottom line, your kid must have some interest...

I used to think abrsm grade 1 is like easy stuff and it will get tougher as u progress. But actually just grade 1 is already quite long process to get ready for it.

I would say its about 4-6 months of daily practice.

This year abrsm grade 1 passing rate is only 70%.

Yes must have some interest or else not easy to practice daily. The left right hand coordination takes lots of accumulated practice to get the hang of it. And seeing them work through the pieces week after week and the outcome is quite satisfying.

Just have to balance extrinsic motivation vs internal motivation. I had to come up with some stuff to make her more intrinsically motivated.

My girl doesn't seem to be a sporty person, so learning piano helps with the left right brain part I guess.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

at 2yo plus my did attend those music class. singalong sort where parent must be presence.

as for piano..my wife is coaching my son. His school conduct lessons on violin and pianica once a week.

ukelulu not guitar at that age.

North Korea [laugh]

Edited by Sosaria

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

@alfakidz85 

On 4/23/2019 at 4:41 PM, alfakidz85 said:

this is not good at all

Hey, you can check out Edvox! My experience there was great, with friendly and patient teachers. They really try to get to know your learning habits before adjusting their methods to meet your needs, so I learnt really easily and happily when I was younger. Also, from my experience, I also noticed that they offered lessons for those aged 20 and above, and there's really no limit to students' age, I guess. As someone who has learnt music, I dont think a greater age will affect your ability to learn music, so don't worry about that!

As for sit-in, its like occasionally allowed but due to Covid, no. But I'm sure your kid will be in good hands. Teachers are extremely professional and qualified as well.

Edited by realtan
↡ Advertisement