What is the catch for buying a 3G HDB Flat?

Yeobt

Supercharged

Hi, anyone knows if my son who is one of the named occupier for a 3G unit is still eligible to apply a BTO for his own family after a certain

period of years? We are due to attend and select a unit this friday 26 April.

need an answer b4 we decide whether if we still want to proceed to take up a 3G or not.

TIA

↡ Advertisement

Twincharged

I only know once you buy 3G, you can only resell to another qualified 3G family.

So I don't think it will deny your son from buying his own flat when he is eligible.

But as the Rock says, it does not matter what I think, your best answer will come from hdb directly.

And best is to get your answer in writing also, as many have had experienced different officers giving different answers.

Edited by Ysc3
  • Praise 1

Hi, anyone knows if my son who is one of the named occupier for a 3G unit is still eligible to apply a BTO for his own family after a certain

period of years? We are due to attend and select a unit this friday 26 April.

need an answer b4 we decide whether if we still want to proceed to take up a 3G or not.

TIA

Your son can only own 1 HDB flat at any one time, as long as he's not a owner he can apply.

3G flat can only sell to another 3G family, that's a big time problem.

If I remember correctly, you can also select a 5rm flat if you have a 3G ticket (check with HDB when you are there).

• Praise 2

I call it the 3 toilets flat. LoL....

Just Google lah.

https://blog.moneysmart.sg/property/hdb-3gen-flats/

HDB 3Gen Flats – 5 Things You Need To Know Before Buying One

1. HDB 3Gen flats are not dual-key

Why would ppl think there are 2 doors to the unit??

2. Their standard sizes are only a little bigger than 5-room flats

I think many ppl are attracted to this.

3. Your parents must be registered occupiers, so they cannot have any properties to their name

Sucks. Cos those who have private properties dont qualify.

4. After the MOP, you can only sell the unit to buyers with the same 3-generation family nucleus

Sucks. Now you see why the queue is so short and so many units available.

5. Your parent’s income would be counted into the monthly household income.

You know the drill. Lesser grants.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 3

Better check with hdb. Their reply usually within few working days

This 3gen flat one seems like u need to be owner occupier over two generations rather than just nucleus couple

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
3G flat needs to form a family nucleus as follows.

Eligible Family Nucleus for 3Gen flat:
To apply for a 3Gen flat, the applicants and occupiers must form a multi-generation family comprising any of the following :

(a) *Applicant, his/ her spouse and children, if any (natural offspring from lawful marriages or legally adopted) and their parents/married child(ren), where at least one of the parents/married child(ren) is a Singapore Citizen or an Singapore Permanent Resident;

(b) Applicant (widowed or divorced) and children under his/ her legal custody, care and control and his/ her parents/married child(ren), where at least one of the parents/married child(ren) is a Singapore Citizen or an Singapore Permanent Resident.

Essential occupiers in the flat:

Occupiers who are essential in forming a family nucleus with you in the flat application must continue to be listed in the application and stay in the flat during the 5-year MOP. They cannot make a separate application, or be listed as occupiers in another application to buy an HDB flat or another EC within the MOP.

Non-Deletion of Essential Occupier:

Any person listed as an essential occupier in the application must continue to be listed in the application and must physically and continuously occupy in the new flat during the 5-year occupation period. An essential occupier is one who forms a family nucleus with the applicant to qualify for a flat from HDB.

Not sure what's the status of your son in above eligibility in order to form the nucleus. Generally, as long listed as an essential occupier in order to form the nucleus, then strictly no, if just a general occupier which is not necessary to form a nucleus then not an issue. Best u clarify with HDB before selection base on your own family status, get black and white. 

Edited by Dafansu
  • Praise 2

Neutral Newbie

May be cheap considering the size but whether he will make a gain is another thing as usually there are some slots left for 3G bto most of the time. Another issue is 3G needs 3 generations, so will need to include your son's name thus removing his first timer chance. Grant also might be affected overall.

Twincharged
2 hours ago, sgcarmart2019 said:

thoght now 5G liao

I think govt should give 5G free house to stay.... As long as they can remain 5G 😂 

35 minutes ago, Count-Bracula said:

Any one here tried cooking the KFC chicken rice? 

Oh shoot!  Sorry ......

I thot I was in the Makan thread. 

Donch anyhow shoot hah...sekali need to cook more rice...

• Haha! 1

On 5/20/2019 at 12:13 AM, JansenFeng said:

May be cheap considering the size but whether he will make a gain is another thing as usually there are some slots left for 3G bto most of the time. Another issue is 3G needs 3 generations, so will need to include your son's name thus removing his first timer chance. Grant also might be affected overall.

Actually study the definitions carefully. 3G is actually 2G, the couple and their parents.

Children are listed as occupiers only if there are children. It will not affect their future chances.

So technically, 2G really.

Edited by Showster

10 minutes ago, Showster said:

Actually study the definitions carefully. 3G is actually 2G, the couple and their parents.

Children are listed as occupiers only if there are children. It will not affect their future chances.

So technically, 2G really.

3G flat still popular? I always wonder if there is any demand in resale market for such flat? Same like those jumbo flat which built last time, wonder it is popular with resale buyers? Lol.

Edited by 13177

On 1/17/2020 at 11:23 PM, 13177 said:

3G flat still popular? I always wonder if there is any demand in resale market for such flat? Same like those jumbo flat which built last time, wonder it is popular with resale buyers? Lol.

There is always some demand but generally the growing demand is for smaller flats.

↡ Advertisement