Should coma patients live or die?

BabyBlade

Internal Moderator

A woman in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) who was seriously injured in a car crash in 1991 has finally woken up from a 27-year-long coma.  

Munira Abdulla, then 32, had just picked up her 4-year-old son Omar from school when the car they were in collided with a school bus, reported local daily the National on Monday (Apr 22). 

While Omar was unharmed, Ms Abdulla, who had tried to protect her son from the impact, was left unconscious with a serious brain injury.

Last year, Ms Abdulla, now 60, regained consciousness in a hospital room in Germany.

“I never gave up on her because I always had a feeling that one day she will wake up,” said her 32-year-old son Omar Webair in an interview with the National.

Ms Abdulla, who was taken to a local hospital after the accident, was later transferred to one in London where doctors diagnosed her to be in a minimally conscious state. 

She was then returned to the UAE where she was transferred several times due to insurance constraints. 

In 2017, Ms Abdulla was finally taken to a German hospital after the Crown Prince Court heard the family's story and gave them a grant. 

There, Ms Abdulla underwent surgery to treat her weakened limb muscles as well as physical therapy.

Last June, Ms Abdulla was seen stirring in her bed when an argument broke out in her hospital room. 

“She was making strange sounds and I kept calling the doctors to examine her,” Mr Webair told the National. “They said everything was normal.

“Then, three days later, I woke up to the sound of someone calling my name.

“It was her. She was calling my name. I was flying with joy. For years I have dreamt of this moment, and my name was the first word she said.”

Ms Abdulla is now receiving treatment in Abu Dhabi, where she is able to communicate “in a very reasonable manner”, said the hospital.

“I shared her story to tell people not to lose hope on their loved ones,” Mr Webair said. “Don’t consider them dead when they are in such a state.

“All those years, the doctors told me she was a hopeless case and that there was no point of the treatment I was seeking for her, but whenever in doubt I put myself in her place and did whatever I could to improve her condition.”

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/uae-woman-wakes-up-from-27-year-coma-after-car-crash-report-11472950

Miracle story to kick start this morning. In Singapore, this may not even be remotely possible no thanks to expensive healthcare bills. How comprehensive or rather how limited is our life insurance for coma patients? How many of us can afford to keep our loved ones alive for so long, with or without hopes of them even waking up? 

Then there are other deciding factors... What are the moral implications to deciding when to pull the plug for a coma patient whom is showing minimal signs of consciousness, on life support etc? Who is going to decide quality of life vs quantity of life? When is the right time to pull the plug? Is there ever a right time? Do insurance companies put pressure on hospitals or even doctors?

This is a miracle case. It has given hope to families out there to keep the faith and not give up on their loved ones. But food for thought, how many of us would have been able to do the same?

At 60 years old, she still has many good years to catch up on lost time with her family. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6

Wow. Must be quite an experience. Imagine you are young and dan many years later wake up to a 60 year old body/face. Your boobs round and perky, next time you see are deflated and saggy. Must be horrifying. [laugh] The feeling must be like travelling into the future.

But I'm happy for the family. Must be rich to do something similar. Can also see why they ban women from driving back in those days. [lipsrsealed][laugh]

Edited by Watwheels

i am not sure if in Singapore, we can afford the long term medical fee, at least for a normal / usual working class family. Also, does our medical insurance cover such long term "illness" ? 

If it is me, i guess i will be declare bankrupt way way before the 20 plus years in coma. 

• Praise 1

The quality of life would be severely challenged.  

27 years of learning and experiencing left behind and the mentality as well.  She would also still be having remnant effects left behind as a result of the coma, I am sure and it would be tough to integrate into society on her own.  Her parents would already be aged, and therein begs the question of family support.

Personally, I feel I would rather have perished.  Life, after all, is just a phase

• Praise 3

Wow. Must be quite an experience. Imagine you are young and dan many years later wake up to a 60 year old body/face. Your boobs round and perky, next time you see are deflated and saggy. Must be horrifying. [laugh] The feeling must be like travelling into the future.

But I'm happy for the family. Must be rich to do something similar. Can also see why they ban women from driving back in those days. [lipsrsealed][laugh]

Wake up see your Son next to you and say hrmm who is the Uncle hehe

Kidding aside I think she would be Glad to know she did indeed save her kid

Turbocharged

The quality of life would be severely challenged.

27 years of learning and experiencing left behind and the mentality as well. She would also still be having remnant effects left behind as a result of the coma, I am sure and it would be tough to integrate into society on her own. Her parents would already be aged, and therein begs the question of family support.

Personally, I feel I would rather have perished. Life, after all, is just a phase

I agree. Getting back the physical part is already a big mountain to climb, especially since she is already considered senior citizen.

Maybe comatose for a year or 2 still OK, but not 27.

The stress on the family is immense. Everyone should have the opportunity to move on to their next phase in life.

• Praise 1

If this were sgp, family bankrupt liao

Well folks in all seriousness , help ur loved ones with that decision. Get ur AMD done so that If ever you are in that situation and they fright it out over your destiny, you decided already

There are threads here that discuss this

AMD and LPA

• Praise 1

If this were sgp, family bankrupt liao

Well folks in all seriousness , help ur loved ones with that decision. Get ur AMD done so that If ever you are in that situation and they fright it out over your destiny, you decided already

There are threads here that discuss this

AMD and LPA

I prefer Intel
  • Praise 6

But this raised the question ... coma doesnt mean death, shld anyone has the rite to Decide Just cut the tube ? Does that make them murderer if they decided to stop the pump ... what if i state in my lpa , never give up .

Edited by Angcheek
  • Haha! 1

But this raised the question ... coma doesnt mean death, shld anyone has the rite to Decide Just cut the tube ? Does that make them murderer if they decided to stop the pump ... what if i state in my lpa , never give up .

ð¤·ð¼ââï¸ð¤·ð¾ââï¸ð¤·ð¼ââï¸ð¤·ð¾ââï¸

It’s your call

Then they cannot unplug

• Praise 1

Hope i will never be in such a situation. Dun know consider its a fortune or misfortune.

But i think i read somewhere where some ppl or their family members chose to put these in an induced state of coma in the hope that a cure is found medically, say in xx years later.

Will opt to pull the plug. Though its remotely possible to be a immortal (not the 7 fairies crossing river type) but with artificial heart, lungs, stomach etc where one just change out a malfunctioning artificial organ over and over and over and over.....again. That's the dream plan, anything is possible just takes time.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

ð¤·ð¼ââï¸ð¤·ð¾ââï¸ð¤·ð¼ââï¸ð¤·ð¾ââï¸

Have to consider seriously how the decision is going to impact your immediate family members in terms of emotional, physical and financial aspects.

Assuming one votes for keep alive. And also assume family not well to do. How can the family keep up with the financials? Keep one alive but unmoving with only a remote chance of recovery or use the money to fund the remaining family members for their future?

Questions questions questions.

No correct answer though.

Have to consider seriously how the decision is going to impact your immediate family members in terms of emotional, physical and financial aspects.

Assuming one votes for keep alive. And also assume family not well to do. How can the family keep up with the financials? Keep one alive but unmoving with only a remote chance of recovery or use the money to fund the remaining family members for their future?

Questions questions questions.

No correct answer though.

Yes i know ... financial is always a problem .

Im wonder how that family in the article cope for the past 27yrs ... why they can afford or they are very rich ?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2