Landed terrace btw Cashew and Lentor

Lms822

Twincharged

I'm guessing you are referring to this?

https://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/21635721/for-sale-cashew-crescent

1700 psf sounds rather ex.. Lentor prices are around 1300 psf.

If you can only spend under 3 mil, there are still choices.

Don't forget you need another war chest of about 3-400k for reno / fittings etc. These places aren't in move in condition. 

Also, the land area is only 1616 sq ft. Your resale value is mainly dependant on the land plot size, so there's not a lot of upside, especially if you pay such a high price.

560m walk to an MRT is good though, and the roads here are wider than those around the Countryside. 

If you aren't particular, also consider the West Coast area around Pasir Panjang MRT. There's a hawker centre, Vivo is two stops away, it's quiet and the potential upside from the Greater Southern Waterfront. And since you can fork out 1700 psf, you can definitely find something here too.

But hey, why use a forum to solicit opinions? Surely you, and your wife, plus your agent would have shortlisted some areas? Her opinion will be vital...

yah 1700psf for this dump is siao.

↡ Advertisement

I'm guessing you are referring to this?

https://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/21635721/for-sale-cashew-crescent

1700 psf sounds rather ex.. Lentor prices are around 1300 psf.

If you can only spend under 3 mil, there are still choices.

Don't forget you need another war chest of about 3-400k for reno / fittings etc. These places aren't in move in condition. 

Also, the land area is only 1616 sq ft. Your resale value is mainly dependant on the land plot size, so there's not a lot of upside, especially if you pay such a high price.

560m walk to an MRT is good though, and the roads here are wider than those around the Countryside. 

If you aren't particular, also consider the West Coast area around Pasir Panjang MRT. There's a hawker centre, Vivo is two stops away, it's quiet and the potential upside from the Greater Southern Waterfront. And since you can fork out 1700 psf, you can definitely find something here too.

But hey, why use a forum to solicit opinions? Surely you, and your wife, plus your agent would have shortlisted some areas? Her opinion will be vital...

the difference in psf is so huge, hence my question on privileges.  is Cashew so special to justify the difference.

again, Countryside lanes are wide.  Lentor lanes are narrow.

west coast units are very rare for sale and need rebuilt normally due to the bad condition.

seller's agent sure bias...

If it is 2.9M, interest alone (assuming 2.7%) 6.5K a month.

Can use 3.5K - 4.5K to rent a bigger semi-D (try each estate for a year) and save the remaining 2-3K or use it to get a nice car.

https://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/21578677/for-rent-begonia-drive-semi-d-for-rent

Prices aren't going anywhere.  Maybe you can even find a good bargain at auctions:

https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/real-estate/mortgagee-listings-hit-new-high-on-loan-rate-hikes-weak-rentals

paying rent for 20 years, the house is not belong to you...

Ouch. Reading these comments made me feel bad about living in Cashew lol.

I personally have not encountered any bad traffic jams in the morning or after work.

Anyway I thought that place was fairly cheap and can get decent sized detached or bungalows without breaking the bank. Lots of space for big gardens and for my kids to run around too.

I researched that place, and it's not a bad place, so long as you are aware of the pros and cons... but 1700 psf is a bit high..

I personally have not encountered any bad traffic jams in the morning or after work.

Anyway I thought that place was fairly cheap and can get decent sized detached or bungalows without breaking the bank. Lots of space for big gardens and for my kids to run around too.

:D 

those semi d and GCB are beyonf my imagination liao

yah 1700psf for this dump is siao.

then ther are many dump in spore liao  :grin:

I researched that place, and it's not a bad place, so long as you are aware of the pros and cons... but 1700 psf is a bit high..

did you buy there in the end?

what's your reasonable price psf then?

the difference in psf is so huge, hence my question on privileges.  is Cashew so special to justify the difference.

again, Countryside lanes are wide.  Lentor lanes are narrow.

west coast units are very rare for sale and need rebuilt normally due to the bad condition.

seller's agent sure bias...

paying rent for 20 years, the house is not belong to you...

Not really bro. Units there are less than 30 years and you have to keep a lookout. Remember there's West Coast i.e. Farrer, and Clementi or next Ginza Plaza and there's West Coast near Pasir Panjang MRT, such as Jambol area.

Looking at the last transacted prices, you can get something under 3mil. 

Eg previously the owner of no 9 Jambol Place was asking 2.85mil for his 1616 sq feet unit. 200m to the MRT, quiet and three stories.. there will be shops at the Bijou condo, and across the road is the new PSA building, with stores inside. 1 train stop from ARC, 3 stops from Vivo (where there's a library), and NTUC Extra coming up.

No one will give you a free pass bro, you have to look out for deals... and be prepared to have your check ready at the first viewing. Yes, you heard me right. One shot, one kill. Sometimes that's how it rolls. 

So do your financial homework first. If you are still shooting the breeze, you may miss some units.

Eg, in the third quarter of 2018, a Ming Teck Park unit was sold for 2.8mil. Facing greenery, and 1800 sq ft. How's that. 1km to Henry Park too.

But now it's gone. Different times, different prices.. 

I didn't like Cashew.. so try West Coast bro... you set the cap and budget limits.. so you get what you pay for..

An extensive reno can run into >300k. Not A&A which costs more, and a rebuild will cost 600k and up, when you find a nice place, I can share a good contractor with you.

Do your homework, that's my suggestion, and honestly, you are a little behind the game... prices have consolidated a bit.

2017 to 2018 first half was a much better time to shop... but don't get disheartened, there are still nice places. 

The thing about landed is that you have to look, ask for non-listed units, don't just look at Prop guru, but there are other sites. Also use the notification emails to let you know if a place meets your criteria. Cheers

Eg, you can try and knock down the price here a bit:

https://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/21199754/for-sale-chelsea-village

If you can afford 1700 psf, this will be close to your budget..

460m to PP MRT. Very quiet neighbourhood. 

• Praise 2

Not really bro. Units there are less than 30 years and you have to keep a lookout. Remember there's West Coast i.e. Farrer, and Clementi or next Ginza Plaza and there's West Coast near Pasir Panjang MRT, such as Jambol area.

Looking at the last transacted prices, you can get something under 3mil. 

Eg previously the owner of no 9 Jambol Place was asking 2.85mil for his 1616 sq feet unit. 200m to the MRT, quiet and three stories.. there will be shops at the Bijou condo, and across the road is the new PSA building, with stores inside. 1 train stop from ARC, 3 stops from Vivo (where there's a library), and NTUC Extra coming up.

No one will give you a free pass bro, you have to look out for deals... and be prepared to have your check ready at the first viewing. Yes, you heard me right. One shot, one kill. Sometimes that's how it rolls. 

So do your financial homework first. If you are still shooting the breeze, you may miss some units.

Eg, in the third quarter of 2018, a Ming Teck Park unit was sold for 2.8mil. Facing greenery, and 1800 sq ft. How's that. 1km to Henry Park too.

But now it's gone. Different times, different prices.. 

I didn't like Cashew.. so try West Coast bro... you set the cap and budget limits.. so you get what you pay for..

An extensive reno can run into >300k. Not A&A which costs more, and a rebuild will cost 600k and up, when you find a nice place, I can share a good contractor with you.

Do your homework, that's my suggestion, and honestly, you are a little behind the game... prices have consolidated a bit.

2017 to 2018 first half was a much better time to shop... but don't get disheartened, there are still nice places. 

The thing about landed is that you have to look, ask for non-listed units, don't just look at Prop guru, but there are other sites. Also use the notification emails to let you know if a place meets your criteria. Cheers

Eg, you can try and knock down the price here a bit:

https://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/21199754/for-sale-chelsea-village

If you can afford 1700 psf, this will be close to your budget..

460m to PP MRT. Very quiet neighbourhood. 

very informative, thanks a lot!  are you an agent?  [laugh]

I looking at below 3mil landed, not that I can afford 1700 psf.  :grin:

I am quite surprised that TS is looking between lentor and Cashew which are so far apart. It is hard to find someone how is familiar in both estates to do a fair comparison. 

To me, the family and school factor trumps everything. I was planning to send my kid to Rosyth because we are old boy/girl. Also needs to be close to in laws to take care of kids. 

Maybe TS prefers one location and the wife prefers the other one.

I used to stay in Kovan area nearer to town. There is a nice park which I exercise there often. I used to see people trading items like rolex watches, Phones, etc. They will drive their Mercedes, Porsche and meet there. (Sounds familiar)

I just move near Lentor, quieter but further from my workplace. Wife wants to move because nearer to St Nicholas and also price cheaper than Kovan/Charlton. 

• Praise 1

very informative, thanks a lot! are you an agent? [laugh]

I looking at below 3mil landed, not that I can afford 1700 psf. :grin:

Nope..

I wish you all the best in your hunt. Do share what you finally decide on. Cheers

Turbocharged

I used to stay in Kovan area nearer to town. There is a nice park which I exercise there often. I used to see people trading items like rolex watches, Phones, etc. They will drive their Mercedes, Porsche and meet there. (Sounds familiar)

I just move near Lentor, quieter but further from my workplace. Wife wants to move because nearer to St Nicholas and also price cheaper than Kovan/Charlton.

Lentor estate itself or somewhere near it? Thomson hills is near st Nicholas. My mum stays there :) so I am stuck in this area. I do prefer Lentor more than Thomson hills as I feel it is less messy. Thomson hill can get a bigger place though for similar price.

I personally don’t like Kovan. Getting to the expressway looks tough, busy roads. I think if u drive, the time it takes to reach the expressway is impt so I am not sure if it is actually nearer to town in terms of time.

Edited by Wind30

We started at our affordability for landed, Lentor and Cashew pops out. Other areas also popped out but we don’t like those areas.

Turbocharged

I never say anything bad about cashew. Never visited there :)

I think house location is very subjective. Depends on each family.

Nope..

I wish you all the best in your hunt. Do share what you finally decide on. Cheers

Will need your expertise if possible

Turbocharged

We started at our affordability for landed, Lentor and Cashew pops out. Other areas also popped out but we don’t like those areas.

Another thing that is very impt is neighbour. Might not be so obvious as u think neighbour can change.... in my estate, both my in-laws place and my place, our closest 4 neighbours has not changed in the past 10 years ever since I moved in.

I did not checked out my 2 next door neighbour before buying but they turned out to be the quiet sort. No teenage kids, no parties, small family. No parking quarrels. To be frank another part of countryside has a neighbour quarrel that went on newspaper many years back....

But we are also model resident. Always park in garage. Small family, Super quiet, Super clean.

Edited by Wind30

Another thing that is very impt is neighbour. Might not be so obvious as u think neighbour can change.... in my estate, both my in-laws place and my place, our closest 4 neighbours has not changed in the past 10 years ever since I moved in.

I did not checked out my 2 next door neighbour before buying but they turned out to be the quiet sort. No teenage kids, no parties, small family. No parking quarrels. To be frank another part of countryside has a neighbour quarrel that went on newspaper many years back....

But we are also model resident. Always park in garage. Small family, Super quiet, Super clean.

Sure lah park in own car porch since so long

As mentioned in the topic title, which place is the better choice in term of:

1. Privilege

2. Capital appreciation

3. Accessibility

TS If you have narrowed down to only these two areas , you might have difficulties finding what you want. Some of the basic landed considerations are layout, interior, land size, build up, facing , rooms , toilets , whether cul de sac or other preference etc, more challenging is if you have certain budget. Unless you have the time and financial power to rebuild, otherwise be prepared to spend up to a year or more to find one that you like. the other consideration, if you find a unit that you like, likelihood many other potential buyers would be eyeing as well, so when you find what you like, dont procrastinate for too long before the unit is gone.  sharing my experience.  good luck. 

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 1

Twincharged

Will need your expertise if possible

Maybe you can pick some random units on sale at prop guru and then comment what you like about it. Then maybe some folks here can chip in a give further advice.

TS If you have narrowed down to only these two areas , you might have difficulties finding what you want. Some of the basic landed considerations are layout, interior, land size, build up, facing , rooms , toilets , whether cul de sac or other preference etc, more challenging is if you have certain budget. Unless you have the time and financial power to rebuild, otherwise be prepared to spend up to a year or more to find one that you like. the other consideration, if you find a unit that you like, likelihood many other potential buyers would be eyeing as well, so when you find what you like, dont procrastinate for too long before the unit is gone.  sharing my experience.  good luck. 

Will you consider a cul de sac  better or worse bro?

TS If you have narrowed down to only these two areas , you might have difficulties finding what you want. Some of the basic landed considerations are layout, interior, land size, build up, facing , rooms , toilets , whether cul de sac or other preference etc, more challenging is if you have certain budget. Unless you have the time and financial power to rebuild, otherwise be prepared to spend up to a year or more to find one that you like. the other consideration, if you find a unit that you like, likelihood many other potential buyers would be eyeing as well, so when you find what you like, dont procrastinate for too long before the unit is gone. sharing my experience. good luck.

Very valuable tips, thanks!
↡ Advertisement