Lexus GS450h engine blown from overheating....

jonbaekis00

but why the engine overheated was because of radiator cap rubber worn and then coolant gone from there....

This is normal wear and tear. But need to spot it earlier, if not will caused big problem. 

Lucky my car mechanic spotted this on my old car and auto change for me. 

Used my mechanic for servicing for > 10 years. He will auto check and auto change for me parts that 

wear and tear.

Including testing the voltage of my car battery. If battery too weak, he will informed me and auto change for me since we are old friends. 

Edited by Mahjong74
  • Praise 1

I think he meant driving his car into a longkang or something and claim total loss from his insurance? :D

I'm completely mind blown.

Maybe I should claim insurance for my brain since it's blown now.

all the people i know driving lexus... car 200k+ mileage still good and running well....

but any idea of replacing whole engine in sg vs overhaul??

Bro, u wait for the next 2 days.. I asking my frd see whether Jipoon got any scrap car of the same model?

Will update u ASAP..

• Praise 4

I think he meant driving his car into a longkang or something and claim total loss from his insurance? :D

TS car lost in Malaysia?

so sorry to help.

Don't give ideas that will make all our insurance premiums go up because of fraudulent claims hor ð

I didn't start it.

Can we claim against our own insurance for repair? I mean pay excess..spread the repair cost over next few years of increased premium.

Edited by Kopites

I know of a woman friend who drove over a rock big enough to kaput the engine base and the repair bill was hefty since all was done at agent.

Claimed insurance.

I didn't start it.

Can we claim against our own insurance for repair? I mean pay excess..spread the repair cost over next few years of increased premium.

Seriously bro, my advice is one time pain and scrap it if overhaul is on the card.

Engine swap is an option but would need to pay silly money for xpert to rewrite the engine number, not to mention it is frowned by white ants.

There are just too many unwarrant risks involved.

Edited by Hamburger
  • Praise 2

I also serious..

only if you plan to renew coe otherwise scrap it. Cut the lost. You won't know in month times other problems might start to surface.

• Praise 1

I also serious..

only if you plan to renew coe otherwise scrap it. Cut the lost. You won't know in month times other problems might start to surface.

Honestly with only 1.5 years left, I'll go with what many have suggested too, have to move on. Spending more than 5k for something that may involve even more significant repair work doesn't seem like a good choice. Do get a few more workshops to give you a second opinion but the honest ones will probably tell you to move on too.

all car will overheat including lexus.

esp a 8.5 year old car. ( esp if buy used)

(we assume the car got no overheat history or overhaul b4)

a small upper hose or lower hose slowly leak ( very common problem )

radiator fan stop work, esp at traffic jam.

normally over heat is very cheap and easy to fix, as long as the engine dun blow.

mean u see overheat u need to stop engine at once

normally b4 overheat your AC  will turn hot, 

a 8.5 years old car if engine blow, when ws quote u engine replacement

(normally its used engine , no 1 will quote u new engine unless AD )

and i would say no ws can give u an accurate quote on how much to repair/overhaul without even opening up the engine.

for ts case i feel if really 5-6k can fix the issue, its very cheap.

but take note, overhaul they need to skim your engine head, the compression will no longer be same.

even if operation is successful, high chance the car will feel differently, maybe less power, engine louder, consume oil n water faster.

no ws will give u money back guarantee for overhaul

(like u still need pay doctor money even if they cannot cure u )

• Praise 3

FYI the term "engine blown" means the head gasket gave way and coolant entered some of the combustion chamber. As water cannot be compressed hence one cylinder shows nothing(means is flooded) and some others are weak (slightly flooded). Head gasket gave way is common wear and tear for ANY old car. Even for a 8.5 yo Lexus. Your comments shows how much you know about cars. I suspect this is your first car. Ppl change car after 5 years becos they dont want to deal with all these.

Although the head gasket kit cost little it's the cleaning up of the engine that requires a lot of labour. That is called engine overhaul, engine taken apart for cleaning cos coolant entered the combustion chambers and also mixed with the engine oil, it's a mess in there. You are mostly paying for labour. Ppl quoted you labour cost, parts prices have yet to factor in.

Engine overheat may cause damage to other parts and seals. If workshop is good they will replace all the seal kits in the engine. That's why it's a good practice to monitor your coolant and oil levels. The coolant temp on display is temperature at the radiator thermostat but not other areas of the cooling system. When it shows something is wrong it's too late.

The problem for you now is what to do next.  Coe prices will continue to rise in the coming months cos they already announce cutting quota. What you can do is either scrap the Lexus and lease a car first until signs of quota increase/coe prices decrease, you get a new car OR do the overhaul. Overhaul takes a lot of time. You also need to lease a car first. You are going to spend renewing coe or get another new/used car anyway. Question is where you are going to spend it on.

Good luck.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 3

FYI the term "engine blown" means the head gasket gave way and coolant entered some of the combustion chamber. As water cannot be compressed hence one cylinder shows nothing(means is flooded) and some others are weak (slightly flooded). Head gasket gave way is common wear and tear for ANY old car. Even for a 8.5 yo Lexus. Your comments shows how much you know about cars. I suspect this is your first car. Ppl change car after 5 years becos they dont want to deal with all these.

Although the head gasket kit cost little it's the cleaning up of the engine that requires a lot of labour. That is called engine overhaul, engine taken apart for cleaning cos coolant entered the combustion chambers and also mixed with the engine oil, it's a mess in there. You are mostly paying for labour. Ppl quoted you labour cost, parts prices have yet to factor in.

Engine overheat may cause damage to other parts and seals. If workshop is good they will replace all the seal kits in the engine. That's why it's a good practice to monitor your coolant and oil levels. The coolant temp on display is temperature at the radiator thermostat but not other areas of the cooling system. When it shows something is wrong it's too late.

The problem for you now is what to do next. Coe prices will continue to rise in the coming months cos they already announce cutting quota. What you can do is either scrap the Lexus and lease a car first until signs of quota increase/coe prices decrease, you get a new car OR do the overhaul. Overhaul takes a lot of time. You also need to lease a car first. You are going to spend renewing coe or get another new/used car anyway. Question is where you are going to spend it on.

Good luck.

if regular maintenance 10 years shouldnt be a problem. your 5 years..not many here as wealthy as you. Edited by Kopites

if regular maintenance 10 years shouldnt be a problem. your 5 years..not many here as wealthy as you.

Edited by Watwheels

for ts case i feel if really 5-6k can fix the issue, its very cheap.

but take note, overhaul they need to skim your engine head, the compression will no longer be same.

even if operation is successful, high chance the car will feel differently, maybe less power, engine louder, consume oil n water faster.

I feel the same like you that the $5k bill is not expensive....relative compare with 3.5L V6 road tax annually cost over $3000  alone already. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2