Lexus GS450h engine blown from overheating....

jonbaekis00

Hi all, if you saw my thread about 6 months ago, i drive a '10 Lexus GS450h (s190)

car is about 8.5 years old now , but a nightmare happened.....

i was stuck in a Jam on the way back from Johor at CIQ. Engine produces diesel like clattering noise. no problem driving yet with no engine light whatsoever.

Next, white smoke from exhaust, did not notice any rising temperature levels.

After clearing passport, car engine shuts off, the engine still starts , but Temperature level rises to H and does not accelerate.

(worst place to have a breakdown, $500 sgd to tow back to sg.....)

Workshop diagnosis still not clear, engine taken down from car but yet to open up engine 

6 cylinders, only 2 cylinders have normal compression ratio, 1 is completely dead, the remaining 3 are very weak...

predicted repair sum they mentioned was upwards of $5k, but no promise that it will not be higher.

if Scrapping the car is not an option, how would you repair it?

workshop suggested overhaul or new engine ( from scrapyard, if there is any in the first place)

any knowledgeable people able to advise on this issue ?? from replacement engine availability , price, any past experiences with similar cars...

I did not have predicted a LEXUS to give me 2 big big problems with less than a year on owning...... maybe conti more common but can't find any info regarding present issue on internet...

leaving scrapping out, i dont think anyone would wanna spend a fortune on a car with less than 2years coe left....

quotations from workshops that are able to repair at the cheapest possible rates are appreciated too....

your help and advice are deeply appreciated........

↡ Advertisement

what is the mileage and was it serviced regularly.

parts can maybe enquire with Propel Autoparts or Kheng Keng Auto ?

Supercharged

This is worst case scenario for near EOL car.

My suggestion is scrap.

SG workshops are seldom skilfull enough for this type of big repair and they will charge big time to compensate for the huge effort they will need to repair this.

Furthermore, this is not just a V6 engine issue, yours still have 2 electric motors tethered with a battery system. One problem may lead to another.

So it is either throwing money down the hole or choosing to walk away.

I would walk away, as you may throw 5-10k into it and still end up with an undrivable car.

• Praise 2

I suggest to scrap the aging Lexus and buy a new Vios, which is more reliable than a Lexus  ^_^  On a more serious note, even if the petrol engine is repaired there is an aging hybrid system.  The previous owner may not have taken care of the car well.

Twincharged

My suggestion is scrap.

SG workshops are seldom skilfull enough for this type of big repair and they will charge big time to compensate for the huge effort they will need to repair this.

Furthermore, this is not just a V6 engine issue, yours still have 2 electric motors tethered with a battery system. One problem may lead to another.

I would walk away, as you may throw 5-10k into it and still end up with an undrivable car.

Yah. Agree. Scrap and buy something else. No point waiting for the repairs which might turn out rubbish. Then time, frustration and money is lost

Previous owner never care for the car properly.

Did you send the car for a full service and check after you bought it? If never, please do so for the next used car you buy.

Take the cheaper route of the two - amount of money lost by scrapping vs the repair cost.

• Praise 4

Hi all, if you saw my thread about 6 months ago, i drive a '10 Lexus GS450h (s190)

i was stuck in a Jam on the way back from Johor at CIQ. Engine produces diesel like clattering noise. no problem driving yet with no engine light whatsoever.

After clearing passport, car engine shuts off, the engine still starts , but Temperature level rises to H and does not accelerate.

Workshop diagnosis still not clear, engine taken down from car but yet to open up engine 

6 cylinders, only 2 cylinders have normal compression ratio, 1 is completely dead, the remaining 3 are very weak...

predicted repair sum they mentioned was upwards of $5k, but no promise that it will not be higher.

workshop suggested overhaul or new engine ( from scrapyard, if there is any in the first place)

any knowledgeable people able to advise on this issue ?? from replacement engine availability , price, any past experiences with similar cars...

I did not have predicted a LEXUS to give me 2 big big problems with less than a year on owning...... maybe conti more common but can't find any info regarding present issue on internet...

leaving scrapping out, i dont think anyone would wanna spend a fortune on a car with less than 2years coe left....

quotations from workshops that are able to repair at the cheapest possible rates are appreciated too....

Later I PM you a workshop for repair. The boss very friendly and honest.

You just tell him to repair at the cheapest method that the car able to drive will do. 

But he may tell you no guarantee on how long the car can last. 

Tried him before for my 9 years old car. Rather cheap compare to others. 

• Praise 3

Previous owner never care for the car properly.

Did you send the car for a full service and check after you bought it? If never, please do so for the next used car you buy.

Take the cheaper route of the two - amount of money lost by scrapping vs the repair cost.

Thank you all for speedy replies and advice !! really appreciate. as for the hybrid systems mentioned above, i have replaced the hybrid battery about 6 months ago........ maybe shunt have gotten hybrid in the first place 

i did send it to a workshop i know for inspection, they told me car still good. 

but why the engine overheated was because of radiator cap rubber worn and then coolant gone from there....

funny,,, my friends audi bmw mere all has lesser problems than my lexus !! at least have also not so ex...

such a pain in the ass when i got a lexus because i was afraid of breakdowns and issues like these thats why chose lexus over conti.... 

as for scrapping will consider... next car definitely getting vios altis this kind !! :((

but no one with any previous experience ? 

How can a car starts to overheat and not shown on cpnsole panel?

This is beyond me.

Sian... only showed after i restarted the car .........

only if it showed it was overheating... i dont think this would have happened...

what is the mileage and was it serviced regularly.

parts can maybe enquire with Propel Autoparts or Kheng Keng Auto ?

enquiring w kk now ... 

i serviced every 10k after getting it.. prev owner i dunno.. 

mileage about 140k km

Well, i think no car is immortal, some Toyota maybe indestructible, but not all. Believe it or not, my company fleet of Toyota are over 200k mileage, some above 300k mileage, all still working fine by some basic maintenance and regular servicing, never has an engine blown issue.

I am not a car expert, but i think how was that GS maintained by pre-owner does matter. It will be a bet to repair, but the $5k repair don't seem too much, and most Toyota problem should be repairable, at least easier and less labor than Conti cars. Premium Conti car engine overhaul could be much more than $5k, a new engine replacement could be many many times more. Also, finding good mechanics who are familiar with Toyota (or Lexus) is not difficult, car equipment configuration and diagnostic repair are very similar for both.

Edited by Odyssey2011

Well, i think no car is immortal, some Toyota maybe indestructible, but not all. Believe it or not, my company fleet of Toyota are over 200k mileage, some above 300k mileage, all still working fine by some basic maintenance and regular servicing, never has an engine blown issue.

I am not a car expert, but i think how was that GS maintained by pre-owner does matter. It will be a bet to repair, but the $5k repair don't seem too much, and most Toyota problem should be repairable, at least easier and less labor than Conti cars. Premium Conti car engine overhaul could be much more than $5k, a new engine replacement could be many many times more. 

all the people i know driving lexus... car 200k+ mileage still good and running well....

but any idea of replacing whole engine in sg vs overhaul??

Thank you all for speedy replies and advice !! really appreciate. as for the hybrid systems mentioned above, i have replaced the hybrid battery about 6 months ago........ maybe shunt have gotten hybrid in the first place

i did send it to a workshop i know for inspection, they told me car still good.

but why the engine overheated was because of radiator cap rubber worn and then coolant gone from there....

funny,,, my friends audi bmw mere all has lesser problems than my lexus !! at least have also not so ex...

such a pain in the ass when i got a lexus because i was afraid of breakdowns and issues like these thats why chose lexus over conti....

as for scrapping will consider... next car definitely getting vios altis this kind !! :((

but no one with any previous experience ?

Sian... only showed after i restarted the car .........

only if it showed it was overheating... i dont think this would have happened...

TBH this radiator cap rubber worn, leading to coolant leak, can happen to any car.

I open my bonnet at least once a week to look see and check for water and coolant levels and my car is only 2.4 years old. I've already topped up water in the coolant reservoir once when it fell to MIN level.

Don't assume just because it's a Lexus, things won't wear down. It's 8.5 years old. Every car will have wear and tear due to use and old age.

Just like Even a fit runner can collapse due to cardiac arrest without any prior symptoms.

So another pro tip: open ur bonnet regularly

• Praise 3

enquiring w kk now ... 

i serviced every 10k after getting it.. prev owner i dunno.. 

mileage about 140k km

my suspicion is the previous owner did not do regular servicing ... hence all the issues at this juncture.

during servicing mechanics will routinely check the wear and tear items as well and advise on replacement.

Coming from a previous owner of a gs450h...... Scrap and cut loss.

noted that you already spent some dough on hybrid battery replacement just a few months ago....oh well, it is a huge gamble throwing further money into this especially when your hybrid system (not the battery) is a rolling time bomb.

• Praise 4

My suggestion is scrap.

i see your advice... makes sense .. if another problem comes up it will be another big pain..

as for this case if wanna scrap is it advisable to claim total loss of car with insurance ?

↡ Advertisement