Lexus GS450h engine blown from overheating....

jonbaekis00

Seriously bro, my advice is one time pain and scrap it if overhaul is on the card.

Engine swap is an option but would need to pay silly money for xpert to rewrite the engine number, not to mention it is frowned by white ants.

There are just too many unwarrant risks involved.

Legal replacing of Engine is allow by LTA but must meet their rules and requirements.

↡ Advertisement

You can replace with a good 2nd hand engine and renew the COE for next 10 years using the April PQP.

If not, just get a black Vios.  It is much lighter on the wallet and zippy on the street, and more importantly - much more reliable than a Lexus GS  :D

You can replace with a good 2nd hand engine and renew the COE for next 10 years using the April PQP.

If not, just get a black Vios.  It is much lighter on the wallet and zippy on the street, and more importantly - much more reliable than a Lexus GS  :D

the feeling of driving a gs450 and a vios is sky and heaven leh .

once u go the road of luxury/big car for a few years , very hard to turn back ........

i guess not worth [:p] if possible at all

okok,,, thanks,, all i can do is wait car is dead

Bro, pls check your PM and reply me ASAP.

Thanks.

• Praise 1

the feeling of driving a gs450 and a vios is sky and heaven leh .

once u go the road of luxury/big car for a few years , very hard to turn back ........

Once you go black (Vios), you will not go back  [grin]  Dragging an overheating engine through a long jam might have damaged other parts of the car, hence they may start giving up one by one.  One needs to have deep pocket to prepare for this  [sweatdrop]

Hi all, if you saw my thread about 6 months ago, i drive a '10 Lexus GS450h (s190)

car is about 8.5 years old now , but a nightmare happened.....

i was stuck in a Jam on the way back from Johor at CIQ. Engine produces diesel like clattering noise. no problem driving yet with no engine light whatsoever.

Next, white smoke from exhaust, did not notice any rising temperature levels.

After clearing passport, car engine shuts off, the engine still starts , but Temperature level rises to H and does not accelerate.

(worst place to have a breakdown, $500 sgd to tow back to sg.....)

Workshop diagnosis still not clear, engine taken down from car but yet to open up engine 

6 cylinders, only 2 cylinders have normal compression ratio, 1 is completely dead, the remaining 3 are very weak...

predicted repair sum they mentioned was upwards of $5k, but no promise that it will not be higher.

if Scrapping the car is not an option, how would you repair it?

workshop suggested overhaul or new engine ( from scrapyard, if there is any in the first place)

any knowledgeable people able to advise on this issue ?? from replacement engine availability , price, any past experiences with similar cars...

I did not have predicted a LEXUS to give me 2 big big problems with less than a year on owning...... maybe conti more common but can't find any info regarding present issue on internet...

leaving scrapping out, i dont think anyone would wanna spend a fortune on a car with less than 2years coe left....

quotations from workshops that are able to repair at the cheapest possible rates are appreciated too....

your help and advice are deeply appreciated........

you must have reasons why scrap is not an option but you may really need to scrap it after exhausting  various  the options.  I hope you have a better way out. 

Whether you will scrap it or not, you should ask a workshop to open up the engine block to be more certain  of the extent of the damage and the potential repair cost. That would give you a better assessment if you want to continue repairing it. and with that you have two options:

1. repair with a more assured repair cost after the engine is opened up.

2. if the repair cost is too high, or the mechanic still tells you the repeat repair or other repair complication might still set in, then you can decide to scrap the car even with the engine block uncovered.  

Legal replacing of Engine is allow by LTA but must meet their rules and requirements.

the procedures and paper work are gonna be hell.

the procedures and paper work are gonna be hell.

u replace new engine then will go through that .

exactly why used engine they change the engine number only,

(not worth the time n trouble )

incase some bro dun know, its not legal and not many ppl do that nowsaday .

i guess the main option everyone is suggesting is to scrap......

if i dont scrap im having a gamble as to not worrying the car of having any problems in the remaining time.

as for the vios, am really considering vios, although the car will not be as comfortable.. at least bigger boot and cheaper to repair !!

plus car road tax due..

top overhaul is cheaper than total overhaul. TS symptoms sounds like a blown head gasket.....my friend did hers (Verna) in SG and kena carrot....3k, i did mine in jb cost me slightly over rm1200, change top gasket, valve seal (rubber hardened liao), lapped the valve seat and decarbonised. Now running fine for the past 1.5 yrs but with a bit of higher fc than before.

It was mentioned that 2 cylinders lost compression so that's not good. Something has given way. Cranked piston ring?

It is imperative that once an overheat is detected, stop immediately and dont even crank it to make any worse than it is.

It was mentioned that 2 cylinders lost compression so that's not good. Something has given way. Cranked piston ring?

It is imperative that once an overheat is detected, stop immediately and dont even crank it to make any worse than it is.

can be head gasket cracked and leaked at those affected pistons. Mine was from a single piston and was shown the trail of the leak which allowed combustion gas to escape into the cooling system and vented into the radiator. But i did forced the engine to start when the temperature had lowered to normal......usually cars have a safety mechanism that disallow the engine to be cranked when the coolant temperature is too high........

can be head gasket cracked and leaked at those affected pistons. Mine was from a single piston and was shown the trail of the leak which allowed combustion gas to escape into the cooling system and vented into the radiator. But i did forced the engine to start when the temperature had lowered to normal......usually cars have a safety mechanism that disallow the engine to be cranked when the coolant temperature is too high........

the lexus doesn't, it still can crank but will shut off soon after,,,,

the lexus doesn't, it still can crank but will shut off soon after,,,,

my cheap car cant crank when the coolant temp reached a certain temperature...usually just before the temperature's redline. Can only starts when the temperature goes down below 90....the car's manual say this is to prevent damage to the engine.
  • Praise 1

Hi all, if you saw my thread about 6 months ago, i drive a '10 Lexus GS450h (s190)

car is about 8.5 years old now , but a nightmare happened.....

i was stuck in a Jam on the way back from Johor at CIQ. Engine produces diesel like clattering noise. no problem driving yet with no engine light whatsoever.

Next, white smoke from exhaust, did not notice any rising temperature levels.

After clearing passport, car engine shuts off, the engine still starts , but Temperature level rises to H and does not accelerate.

(worst place to have a breakdown, $500 sgd to tow back to sg.....)

Workshop diagnosis still not clear, engine taken down from car but yet to open up engine

6 cylinders, only 2 cylinders have normal compression ratio, 1 is completely dead, the remaining 3 are very weak...

predicted repair sum they mentioned was upwards of $5k, but no promise that it will not be higher.

if Scrapping the car is not an option, how would you repair it?

workshop suggested overhaul or new engine ( from scrapyard, if there is any in the first place)

any knowledgeable people able to advise on this issue ?? from replacement engine availability , price, any past experiences with similar cars...

I did not have predicted a LEXUS to give me 2 big big problems with less than a year on owning...... maybe conti more common but can't find any info regarding present issue on internet...

leaving scrapping out, i dont think anyone would wanna spend a fortune on a car with less than 2years coe left....

quotations from workshops that are able to repair at the cheapest possible rates are appreciated too....

your help and advice are deeply appreciated........

Based on the symptoms you have highlighted, i am of the opinion that your head gasket has blown thereby allowing coolant to leak into the combustion chamber(s).

White exhaust smoke is a sign of coolant fluid being burnt off.

Next step:

confirm whether your engine block has cracked. if the engine block has cracked, i think it will be better to scrap the car as the labour and financial cost to replace the engine block is substantial.

As your GS is a hybrid, you need to take extra care that the cooling system is working! my guess is that the Lexus Synergy Drive (Hybrid) system has been shut down to prevent damage. You can verify this by checking the energy flow in the Vehicle Energy Monitor panel.

Edited by Happily1986

About overheating issue. Radiator cap failure is not easy to detect.

Experience this before on a GS300.

Temp needle in car shows the normal level. But i have a separate obd meter to monitor temperature and other parameters. Was driving up genting and my meter alarms at close to 100 degs and even up to 102, but car's temp gauge still remains the same.

This alarm alerted me to check. Ended up is just a radiator cap failure. And the workshop at genting besides the esso charges me only RM40 when i was expecting to be chopped.

Do bear in mind that the car's temp gauge will only goes up under very serious condition, normally when radiator almost dried up.

So i always install a obd meter to monitor things like temp, atf temp, battery level, etc...

• Praise 4

Based on the symptoms you have highlighted, i am of the opinion that your head gasket has blown thereby allowing coolant to leak into the combustion chamber(s).

White exhaust smoke is a sign of coolant fluid being burnt off.

Next step:

confirm whether your engine block has cracked. if the engine block has cracked, i think it will be better to scrap the car as the labour and financial cost to replace the engine block is substantial.

As your GS is a hybrid, you need to take extra care that the cooling system is working! my guess is that the Lexus Synergy Drive (Hybrid) system has been shut down to prevent damage. You can verify this by checking the energy flow in the Vehicle Energy Monitor panel.

If the Engine block had cracked then highly likely due to car collision accident.

If the Engine block had cracked then highly likely due to car collision accident.

The engine block can also crack due to heat as well

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2