Lexus GS450h engine blown from overheating....

jonbaekis00

i guess the main option everyone is suggesting is to scrap......

if i dont scrap im having a gamble as to not worrying the car of having any problems in the remaining time.

as for the vios, am really considering vios, although the car will not be as comfortable.. at least bigger boot and cheaper to repair !!

plus car road tax due..

Perhaps can sell the hybrid battery separately ? Instead of scrap it together with the car.
↡ Advertisement

Perhaps can sell the hybrid battery separately ? Instead of scrap it together with the car.

I think difficult lah, how to advertise ? "8.5year old hybrid battery for sale "? Who would buy ?

Like what @Ct3833 advised, open up engine and assess damage before deciding what to do. If damage is severe than scrap it. If it's just an overhaul on 1 bank of the V6, can consider repairing. I somehow feel that the GR engine is quite resilient.

I am surprised no warning light for low coolant level for Lexus....

Most Ang Moh cars based on my experience have it.

About overheating issue. Radiator cap failure is not easy to detect.

Experience this before on a GS300.
Temp needle in car shows the normal level. But i have a separate obd meter to monitor temperature and other parameters. Was driving up genting and my meter alarms at close to 100 degs and even up to 102, but car's temp gauge still remains the same.
This alarm alerted me to check. Ended up is just a radiator cap failure. And the workshop at genting besides the esso charges me only RM40 when i was expecting to be chopped.

Do bear in mind that the car's temp gauge will only goes up under very serious condition, normally when radiator almost dried up.

So i always install a obd meter to monitor things like temp, atf temp, battery level, etc...

• Praise 1

Supersonic

TS at one point was looking at facelift w204, not sure if he has bought one or maybe has bought a new car.

I am surprised no warning light for low coolant level for Lexus....

Most Ang Moh cars based on my experience have it.

In fact coolant level is not low. But unable to circulate from reserve tank causing it to overheat. Normal driving condition and even traffic jam no issue at all.

In fact coolant level is not low. But unable to circulate from reserve tank causing it to overheat. Normal driving condition and even traffic jam no issue at all.

For peace of mind, replace both the radiator cap and the radiator thermostat.

The rubber gasket sitting within the radiator cap can fail with time and the spring in the radiator thermostat can also go out too

↡ Advertisement