Jump to content
Ct3833

Why more people are renewing COE?

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Ody_2004 said:

Bo lah! we are smarter than before! A car is built to last 20 years easily! we tired of stupid ruling lah..

I hope they change the 5 year COE ruling as I have one on hand! whahahahahhaha.. mileage still below 90K at 11 years old loh.. dealer renewed 5 years to make it more "AFFORDABLE" and previous owner bite..

Last time,  cars are built to last.  Nowadays you expect cars to last 20 years,  not realistic at all.

↡ Advertisement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RogerNg_185295 said:

Last time,  cars are built to last.  Nowadays you expect cars to last 20 years,  not realistic at all.

Any reasons for you to think that the newer generation  cars could not last up to 20 years?  What are the components in the newer cars cannot be replaced with the 20 years of damaged ? 

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ct3833 said:

Any reasons for you to think that the newer generation  cars could not last up to 20 years?  What are the components in the newer cars cannot be replaced with the 20 years of damaged ? 

Cars are more complex these days. Too many electronics. And more use of biodegradable materials. Gone are the days of simple cars that are easy and cheap to fix. Labour cost is high these days. 
even if you want to fix, most workshops will not bother with the troubleshooting. They want a fast turn around of cars. 

Edited by Mkl22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Sugimoto said:

G will say if cannot afford renew COE 10 years or buy new car after 5 years COE is up, pls take public transport.

Those peoples who have the money would rather 1 shot pay the COE or buy new car instead take loan to renew COE. Those renew COE loan package are targeted at owners with tight budget & they earn by adding in interest which owner will pay higher amount.

I support this rule for compulsory scrap car after their 5 years COE is up, this will filter out those owners to get into bigger debts.

it is not to filter our those owners to get into bigger debts to begin with. rather is an option to further renew. As i mentioned we cannot assume people who take loan dont have money to pay.

You support this idea means you agree to the inflexibility of the rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

Cars are more complex these days. Too many electronics. And more use of biodegradable materials. Gone are the days of simple cars that are easy and cheap to fix. Labour cost is high these days. 
even if you want to fix, most workshops will not bother with the troubleshooting. They want a fast turn around of cars. 

yes this i agree. SG workshops want eay way out. replace parts and charge high labor. not forgetting parts mark up too.

↡ Advertisement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RogerNg_185295 said:

Last time,  cars are built to last.  Nowadays you expect cars to last 20 years,  not realistic at all.

canont be la. cars are built to last even more than 20 yrs. just take other countries cars for example. cars are still seen on the road with age more than 20 yrs. 

Its just sg perception that cars only last 10 yrs in sg. because we are being brought up in a society that car reaching 10 yrs old must scrap.

cars definitely can last 20yrs easily. just maintain it well can last even longer.

Edited by StreamRSZ
  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

Cars are more complex these days. Too many electronics. And more use of biodegradable materials. Gone are the days of simple cars that are easy and cheap to fix. Labour cost is high these days. 
even if you want to fix, most workshops will not bother with the troubleshooting. They want a fast turn around of cars. 

as long as  the engine could last, a car would keep going, the rest , including the brain of a car which is the ECU, can be swapped out and replaced as long as there are spare parts. 

Talking about complexity and electronics,  my old COE car will be less complex than a new 2 year old or 5 year old car, so my old car cant be   more complex and difficult to fix than a new one.

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, StreamRSZ said:

it is not to filter our those owners to get into bigger debts to begin with. rather is an option to further renew. As i mentioned we cannot assume people who take loan dont have money to pay.

You support this idea means you agree to the inflexibility of the rules.

Sometime inflexibility is better than getting own country people into trouble, We also cannot assume that people who take loan has money to pay. This is normally the 1st step to their dooms especially when they initially thought can service the loan but in the end they overstretch themselves.

Btw, those peoples who are cash rich will understand the that all these loans comes with additional interest. they would rather use the money to pump into investments rather than pay interest for the loan. Renew COE for their car will be the last choice for them since they have the money to change car every 3 - 5 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Different people have different reasons for renewing COE. 

For me I no money. 

:D

  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

Different people have different reasons for renewing COE. 

For me I no money. 

:D

You said me again ? 😄😄

Edited by Ct3833
  • Haha! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ct3833 said:

as long as  the engine could last, a car would keep going, the rest , including the brain of a car which is the ECU, can be swapped out and replaced as long as there are spare parts. 

Talking about complexity and electronics,  my old COE car will be less complex than a new 2 year old or 5 year old car, so my old car cant be   more complex and difficult to fix than a new one.

any car can last as long as it moves. if sagging seats, cracked dash. weak aircon. wonky wiring and signals dont matter.

what i'm saying is of course everything can be fixed and replaced, but worth it in the end or not. which is why i still say for Bread and butter cars, the difference between brand new and old coe renewed isnt that much, once you factor in cost like repairs and down time.

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

any car can last as long as it moves. if sagging seats, cracked dash. weak aircon. wonky wiring and signals dont matter.

what i'm saying is of course everything can be fixed and replaced, but worth it in the end or not. which is why i still say for Bread and butter cars, the difference between brand new and old coe renewed isnt that much, once you factor in cost like repairs and down time.

Agree, the key factor is the saving upfront. But for the other guy who  say a car wont last for 20 years is baseless.

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

any car can last as long as it moves. if sagging seats, cracked dash. weak aircon. wonky wiring and signals dont matter.

what i'm saying is of course everything can be fixed and replaced, but worth it in the end or not. which is why i still say for Bread and butter cars, the difference between brand new and old coe renewed isnt that much, once you factor in cost like repairs and down time.

Sagging, cracked, weak air, wonky wiring and signals sounds just like my MIL and she is still going. 

:D

The only thing very strong is the pollution coming out of the exhaust. 

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sugimoto said:

Sometime inflexibility is better than getting own country people into trouble, We also cannot assume that people who take loan has money to pay. This is normally the 1st step to their dooms especially when they initially thought can service the loan but in the end they overstretch themselves.

Btw, those peoples who are cash rich will understand the that all these loans comes with additional interest. they would rather use the money to pump into investments rather than pay interest for the loan. Renew COE for their car will be the last choice for them since they have the money to change car every 3 - 5 years.

so which category of country people do  you belong  to? are you those that dont take loan?😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, StreamRSZ said:

so which category of country people do  you belong  to? are you those that dont take loan?😄

I am low SES truck driver nia, I steal from my bank account to pay my car.

  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Sugimoto said:

I am low SES truck driver nia, I steal from my bank account to pay my car.

Me too ☹️

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×