70mai camera: any way for driver to see if it's turned on?

A5ph

Neutral Newbie

Obviously the camera is meant for left-hand drive market, which is why the light and button is on the left of the camera.

But are there are ways/mods/accessories so the driver knows if its green light is on? Asking because just discovered the green light has been blinking for so many days wihout me knowing. Luckily nothing 'exciting' happened before I realised this.

For those not familiar, this is what the camera looks like:

Xiaomi-70-mai-Smart-WiFi-DVR-Tire-Pressu

Edited by A5ph
↡ Advertisement

I am using this. Video is crisp clear. Comes with voice command too. The unit will announce that recording has commence that is how I know it is recording.

• Praise 1

There is the 70Mai app which you can view your live recording, take live pictures and perform firmware update etc.

Obviously the camera is meant for left-hand drive market, which is why the light and button is on the left of the camera.

But are there are ways/mods/accessories so the driver knows if its green light is on? Asking because just discovered the green light has been blinking for so many days wihout me knowing. Luckily nothing 'exciting' happened before I realised this.

For those not familiar, this is what the camera looks like:

Xiaomi-70-mai-Smart-WiFi-DVR-Tire-Pressu

Neutral Newbie

I am using this. Video is crisp clear. Comes with voice command too. The unit will announce that recording has commence that is how I know it is recording.

Yes video is crisp even in the dark. But when I start the engine, there's no voice that tells me recording has started.

• Praise 1

You have to download the app and connect the camera to the app (via Wifi). 

Then you can adjust the settings e.g. whether you want it to talk upon start up. I enabled for mine, so I can hear the startup and shutdown sounds. 

Have to check regularly. I realised mine failed to shut down and start up properly once. I had to do a hard power off and on before it started working normally again. So far that problem didn't happen again but it was because of this that I enabled the startup and shutdown sounds although it can be irritating. 

It's a good camera for that price. I'm amazed by the quality. 

• Praise 1

Yes video is crisp even in the dark. But when I start the engine, there's no voice that tells me recording has started.

Like what bro lovemyride said, you have to adjust the setting via the app. 

Twincharged

sometimes i will just say "wo yao pai zhao" and then listen if there is a camera shutter sound .... to see if its working or not.

but recently, after updating to android 9, the app failed to work.

Edited by Ysc3

I have the 70mai Pro with GPS.  I'm highly impressed by the quality and price.

Yeah I'm using the pro with GPS (English version) for my front cam. The 70 mai (no screen, Chinese version) for the rear.

It's great fun with all the lane departure, beware of the vehicle ahead, motion detected in the vehicle ahead warnings. If you share the car with someone else, it's fun to see how many times each person triggered the "lane departure" or "beware of the vehicle ahead" warning. And how we scold the thing, "The guy cut into my lane, it's not my fault the gap narrowed!" or "It's not a lane departure. I signalled!" 

All gimmicks but it was only $25 more, small price to pay if you enjoy all these gadgets and tech. 

I'm enjoying my setup. The pro hides neatly behind my rear view mirror and I can see if it's working as there is a screen. It's a huge leap from my previous setup which was a basic dashcam from the AD with the ugly suction cup and the screen blocking my view in my tiny car. The rear cam speaks Chinese and calls himself Xiao mai whenever I start the car. A lot of voice interaction to indicate everything is working normally. 

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

You have to download the app and connect the camera to the app (via Wifi). 

Then you can adjust the settings e.g. whether you want it to talk upon start up. I enabled for mine, so I can hear the startup and shutdown sounds. 

Have to check regularly. I realised mine failed to shut down and start up properly once. I had to do a hard power off and on before it started working normally again. So far that problem didn't happen again but it was because of this that I enabled the startup and shutdown sounds although it can be irritating. 

It's a good camera for that price. I'm amazed by the quality. 

Can I just check which app are you using exactly? I can't seem to find the setting for startup/shutdown sounds.

This is the app I'm using btw: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.banyac.midrive.app.intl&hl=en_SG

Mount it on the right side of the rearview mirror on the windscreen.

For aesthetic reasons this is considered to be a practical last resort. [:(]

Turbocharged

Can I just check which app are you using exactly? I can't seem to find the setting for startup/shutdown sounds.

This is the app I'm using btw: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.banyac.midrive.app.intl&hl=en_SG

For aesthetic reasons this is considered to be a practical last resort. [:(]

startup/shutdown sound should be fixed, don't think can set, mine can't

Internal Moderator

Is anyone still using the 70mai dash cam? I'm trying to connect it to the app but apparently the password is incorrect. I've tried the 5 clicks to reset to default setting but nothing works.

8 hours ago, BabyBlade said:

Is anyone still using the 70mai dash cam? I'm trying to connect it to the app but apparently the password is incorrect. I've tried the 5 clicks to reset to default setting but nothing works.

Time to change.

9 hours ago, BabyBlade said:

Maybe u can update the app and then try again 

Internal Moderator
1 hour ago, Soundphile said:

Maybe u can update the app and then try again 

Just downloaded the app only. Damn stupid that the reset button is 5 click. Should just be hold power button for five seconds. 

↡ Advertisement