Adjunct teacher who attacked son's 10-year-old bully jailed

Ysc3

Twincharged
Adjunct teacher who attacked son's 10-year-old bully jailed 7 weeks

SINGAPORE — A man who attacked a 10-year-old boy for bullying his son was jailed seven weeks on Monday (29 April).

Adjunct teacher Tan Chin Tai pleaded guilty at the State Courts to one count of voluntarily causing hurt. The 43-year-old, who also works at a tuition centre, had confronted the boy at his son’s school and shoved him against a wall, leaving the child with a small fracture on one of his ribs.

Tan’s lawyer, Cory Wong, said that the boy had been bullying his client's son since early 2017 by using vulgarities and taunting him. The boy also threatened to hit other children who spoke to the client's son.

‘I can bully you’

Tan Chin Tai committed the offence while picking his son up from school at around 1.15pm on 7 July 2017.

When he spotted the victim heading towards the school’s gate with a student care staff member, he approached the boy.

Tan then grabbed the boy’s schoolbag and pushed the him towards a nearby rubbish shed. He then shoved the boy against a wall and scolded him.

“Just because you are bigger in size, you can bully others,” Tan told the boy.

“Since you can bully my son, I can bully you.”

Following the incident, the boy experienced pain in his left chest and visited the hospital. He was found to have sustained a small fracture on one of his left ribs.

He was discharged on the same day and given painkillers. Tan has since paid $229.50 in compensation to the boy.

Bullying escalated after incident

According to Wong, the bullying got to a point where the father considered switching his son to a different school. The accused had earlier reported the bullying to the school but this did not stop the bullying.

“(The father) was instead told that the victim had anger management issues, and felt that his concerns were being brushed aside.

“True enough, the school remained ineffective in doing anything to stop the bullying,” said Wong who is from Invictus Law.

The victim’s bullying also escalated after the incident, with him calling the accused a “murderer” to his son’s face, the lawyer said, adding that the son had been ostracised by his schoolmates.

The boy had also told the accused’s son, “Your father confirm go to jail (sic). My mother is going to sue until you bankrupt (sic).”

Wong pointed out that the accused’s actions were not premeditated. Tan had simply wanted to “engage constructively and verbally with the victim”, however the victim had “very cockily ignored” him.

“In the heat of the moment, and being a loving father who would staunchly protect his son’s interests, the above drove (Tan) to act out of character,” said the lawyer.

In mitigation, Wong asked for fine of not more than $5,000 for his client. For voluntarily causing hurt, Tan could have been jailed up to two years and faced a possible fine of up to $5,000.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Supercharged

As a father I can understand why he confronted the boy who bullied his son, even though he should not have touched the boy. I think the school should bear some responsibility and owes the father an apology for ignoring the complaints of bullying.

• Praise 12

Twincharged

I learned this from a parent long time ago... He told me, if you do not discipline your own kid, when your kid gets "disciplined" by others, then it's too late liow.

• Praise 1

What ever the case, an adult should never lay a finger on a child.

His son need to learn to fight back and  protect himself. Now that the father is jailed, it will just make the bullying go worse.

I always tell my children not to start a fight, but if a fight come pushing too hard, give it back and no more running away. And when they give it back, give it back real hard, and show no mercy.  The message is " I dont fight, but that is not a ticket for you to bully me."

Let kids fight kids.  -_-  [:p]  [laugh]

• Praise 10

His son need to learn to fight back and  protect himself. Now that the father is jailed, it will just make the bullying go worse.

I always tell my children not to start a fight, but if a fight come pushing too hard, give it back and no more running away. And when they give it back, give it back real hard, and show no mercy.  The message is " I dont fight, but that is not a ticket for you to bully me."

Let kids fight kids.  -_-  [:p]  [laugh]

yes, i also told myself if my son encounters such bully, i will teach him to throw punch back at bully.

bully is coward and they get a kick out of bullying timid boys.

• Praise 4

Let kids fight kids.  -_-

Hmmmmm.......... that's how you grow up, fight back   :a-handbags:

Now teaching your son   ...... [sly]

Like Father, Like Son ... :yeah-im-not-drunk:

Errrrrr.......... the Tiko Ranger type got teach ... [lipsrsealed]

Edited by Picnic06-Biante15
  • Praise 2

As a father I can understand why he confronted the boy who bullied his son, even though he should not have touched the boy. I think the school should bear some responsibility and owes the father an apology for ignoring the complaints of bullying.

Schools? 

Ours schools here can do no bird to bullying lah. 

and why? Because the schools themselves are the biggest bully of them all, and kids learn  from the school. 

Most schools and teachers here only know how to threaten students with  school rules and punishments, and try to sweep things under the carpet. Students complaints almost always never taken seriously, parents complaints also usually just being brush aside with their stupid reasons ( excuses), all in the name of "school rules".  You have to take it up higher before these guys start doing something.

been there, done that.  -_-

• Praise 1

yes, i also told myself if my son encounters such bully, i will teach him to throw punch back at bully.

Yah, fight back is the only defense.  Crying to the teacher is as hopeless as it can get. 

bullies almost always never pick on anyone who fights back, regardless of size.  They go for those easy picks.  <_<

Hmmmmm.......... that's how you grow up, fight back  

Now teaching your son   ...... [sly]

Like Father, Like Son ...

Errrrrr.......... the Tiko Ranger type got teach ... [lipsrsealed]

This one slowly passing it to him, I want to be father-in- law and grandfather also you know.  [:p]

But already got girls stalking him, so I think cannot pass kungfu too much too early to him.... [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 1

This one slowly passing it to him, I want to be father-in- law and grandfather also you know.  [:p]

But already got girls stalking him, so I think cannot pass kungfu too much too early to him.... [:p]  [laugh]

You must guide him to choose the one that can give the best services ....   :we-all-gonna-die:

That's how daddy gets into the picture as an sexpert ...... :ninja:

:grin:

You must guide him to choose the one that can give the best services ....   :we-all-gonna-die:

That's how daddy gets into the picture as an sexpert ...... :ninja:

:grin:

find wife and find lover is totally different hor.  make no mistake!!!  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Strength of an adult definitely greater hence best not to lay hands especially on kids.

To the guy, he may think its just a normal shove which given to another guy, machiam a strong nudge only but to the 10 years old boy, it can and did result in an internal injury.

Can understand the guy's frustration. Again, the school is at fault for not picking up the bullying issues brought up seriously. Sometimes i wonder if traditional method of discipline by the Disciplinary Master or Vice/Principal is too hastily abolished but i guess the abuses from such an implementation far outweigh its benefit.

In my time, really no see bullying throughout my years in school. Not once. Guess our milk powder not so clever to give us intelligence and courage to heck care everyone and what rules.

Edited by PSP415
  • Praise 1

First day of school... I told my son "if I ever find out you bully anyone, I will send you to prison school myself." 

Prison school is our lingo to refer to boys home type of lock up facility which we scare him with. 

• Praise 3

Supercharged

why do i feel that the outcome is the worst that it can get?

father jailed and bully goes on.. maybe even worse..

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

I kind of agree. The only way to put an end to bullying. The father can't help.

I am not sure if the school ignored the problem because from the report, the father did not escalate to the discipline master or even to the principal. Now is the age of e-mail and internet connectivity. Easy for parents to complain directly to principal if the teachers don't do their part. When complaint reaches the ears of school management, surely something has to be done to close the loop.

Edited by Sosaria

totally agree. seems internet is on the side of the dad too. he could have jus lost it at the moment if the bully was still damn KL towards him. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1